Wii won't read Wii games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by KrAzY3, Jul 12, 2011.

1. KrAzY3
    OP

KrAzY3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2007
    United States
    I recently acquired a Wii at a thrift store outlet, and was not surprised to find out it doesn't play Wii games. It actually played Gamecube games most of the time but it only managed to start a Wii game twice and gave me an error shortly afterward. I did a little research and it certainly seemed to be a laser issue, so I made a few less intrusive attempts at cleaning the laser, and after no change I decided to try some absurd homemade version of a laser cleaner. That results in something getting stuck, so I did what I was trying to avoid and took the Wii apart.

Now, I can't say for sure what harm I did at what point (and the laser wasn't functioning correctly to begin with), but between getting something stuck in the drive and perhaps taking apart a little more than I actually had to (to clean the laser and dislodge the cotton) it won't play Gamecube games either. I'm not terribly worked up over this, as I have 3 Gamecubes and clearly it wasn't working properly beforehand, but it hasn't instilled me with confidence either. I can't pin down what I did to make it worse, but the laser doesn't seem to come on at all now (motor moves the laser into place but I can't detect any red light and it doesn't get to the point that it spins the disc), perhaps I damaged the ribbon or just put the final nail in the laser's coffin.

I have a softmodded Wii, but my external HD enclosure died and took the USB port with it. I presume my 4.3u Wii has a working USB port though, so the idea that comes into my head is to get what I need to softmod it, and change out the drives as my Wii has never had any issues. I'm a bit reluctant though as I'd hate to do harm to the one that's working, but just changing out drives seems like a relatively simple task. Furthermore, while I haven't encountered any other issues with the 4.3u Wii, I haven't been able to do enough with it to really say for certain it doesn't have any other problems.

Finally, I'm a little wary of going out and getting SSBB only to find out my Wii is one of the many that struggles with it. Basically though, I want some input. Considering my apparent lack of competence, is it a reasonable risk to swap out drives, get SSBB and try my hand at softmodding 4.3u? Anything in particular I should know?

Thanks!

2. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    Well it should work fine, simply swap the drives get a copy of SSBB and follow modmii to softmod the wii.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice