Wii Won't Read or Eject Gamecube Game...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DataDrain, Jul 18, 2008.

Jul 18, 2008
  1. DataDrain
    OP

Newcomer DataDrain Member

Hey everyone. Today I inserted Metroid Prime into my unmodded Wii to play it, and it wouldn't read the disc at all. I've never had any problems with playing GCN games at all, so I figured I'd eject it and see if another game worked. The problem is, I hit eject, the console makes a whirring noise, and nothing comes out.

I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and everything, but to no avail; nothing seems to be working. I called Nintendo and they said that since my system was out of warranty, that I would have to pay $90 to get it fixed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a less expensive way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. haohmaru6

Newcomer haohmaru6 Advanced Member

United States
    heres what im thinking:

Perhaps the GC game went into the drive the wrong way and is now stuck. You could take apart your machine and open the drive to get the disc out. I don't recall if you need a triwing screwdriver to open the wii, but if so, I'm sure you can find one online.

If you are not confident in doing that, get someone who is confident with such things (and will remember where all the screws go) to open your wii and get it out.

If there is a physical problem with the drive, then you may have to pay the 90 bucks, but its still less expensive than getting a new wii.

3. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Same problem on a modded Wii. Can you maybe check something to see if we have the same problem?

Normally there's 2 little bars in the drive that need to come down before the Wii ejects the game. If those bars are stuck you can clearly feel it if you poke it a little. If that's the case you can open the Wii up and manually get the disc out. It's what I did.

4. DataDrain
    OP

Newcomer DataDrain Member

Where are these bars located? I can't seem to feel them at all. Also, after you opened it up to get the disc out, did your console start working again?

5. FlameTakuya

Member FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Singapore
    Did you try going into a different channel and then ejecting the disc?

Or you could also try ejecting them at the warning screen when you first turn the Wii on.

I had this problem with some of my games early on, and this was the way I got them out.

6. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm sorry dude that really sux.

My Eject button is fucked up somehow I have to press really hard for the trigger to initialize.
    The button is kinda sunk in, when you push it there is no click.

I think its from taking it friends houses in my backpack with accessories in there.

Good luck and sorry if I'm being an ass

7. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Sorry for replying a bit late. Read your post again, thing is it actually did read my disc when it was stuck in there. So I'm guessing there's something wrong with your lens or something? Maybe the disc got screwed up. It did work for me after opening it up, but it already did before that, just couldn't eject the disc. I'd check the insides out if I were you.