Wii won't read dual layers.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Korudo, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Korudo
    OP

Korudo Koru Productions

Apr 24, 2008
    United States
    I have been running cios rev 17 and can't get metroid or smash to read. In uloader it tells me "error -2" I tried installing the proper ios for metroid, i upgraded to cios rev 20, still nothing. In neogamme (DVD Err(1179), Disc ID) I even tried downgrading to rev 15, which supposedly has DL support fixed. What do i need to restore DL support? Thanks in advance.

Edit: 4.1u wii, softmodded + outdated Yaosm chip.

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
  3. Korudo
    OP

Korudo Koru Productions

Apr 24, 2008
    United States
    I have a lens cleaner, and just cleaned it yesterday. Thanks anyway.

4. terminal_illness

terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Aug 29, 2008
    Canada
    Canada! Mah Fukas!
    are you setting the layer break properly when you burn it? are u using dvd-r DL?

5. Korudo
    OP

Korudo Koru Productions

Apr 24, 2008
    United States
    I set it properly and manually. I can't change the book type because my drive is a "supermulti" and i can't figure out if it is a benq, lite-on, whatever. I am using a dvd+r DL to burn metroid, couldn't find any -r's. My copy of Smash Bros is a +r dl and it worked fine months ago when i last tested it. I'm guessing something i updated may have caused DL support to break. I'm trying to get it back, but pulling my hair out with the constant dead ends.

6. terminal_illness

terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Aug 29, 2008
    Canada
    Canada! Mah Fukas!
    get -r's. i dont know why people think +r's work... there are ways to make them work but you have to burn it as a dvd-rom or something... i saw a tutorial on another site that sounds like "miibacks.com"(not allowed to mention that site)

but yeah get -r's and verbatims... they are the best... also cios 249 20b base 56

should work good luck

7. brausm08

brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2009
    United States
    USA - Midwest
    must be the generation of drive in the wii....my wii reads +R just fine...burning the same as -R.....it's worth a shot to try + if that's all you got....if it doesn't work, THEN get your fingers on some -....

i use NERO6 to burn my iso's...everything you read about BURNING AT SLOWEST SPEED is rubbish too....i burn everything at a minimum of 8x, sometimes 16x if i'm in a hurry...never had a problem....

even for DL discs, i use +R DL's.....

i have read that the early generation wii's drives couldn't read DL discs very well....even the authentic NINTY discs....

8. Korudo
    OP

Korudo Koru Productions

Apr 24, 2008
    United States
    I got my wii about 6 months after launch, so the drive is indeed old. However, i have a copy of Smash Bros. burned onto a Verbatim +R DL and it worked just fine the last time i tried it. However, today neither Smash nor Metroid Other M show up in the disc channel or any of my loaders.

It's either something i updated broke DL support (Which i just installed 20b base ios 56, which did nothing) OR it's my dvd drive on my laptop, which i can't set the book type to in imgburn as i have no idea what type of drive it is, all i can find is "Slimtype DVD A DS8A3S HA17 (SATA)" doesn't tell me if it is a benQ or lite-on or anything. I'm trying another copy with Nero right now, I'll post again when it finishes. I'm using Verbatim DVD+R DL currently btw. Didn't have any -R DL's at my nearest best buy.

9. Korudo
    OP

Korudo Koru Productions

Apr 24, 2008
    United States
    Same. Nero didn't help either.

10. dn_angel000

dn_angel000 Phantom User

Apr 27, 2010
    United States
    Try reinstalling rev20b but use base 38 instead and c how that goes! lol

11. Korudo