Wii won't read dual layers.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Korudo, Aug 30, 2010.

Aug 30, 2010

Wii won't read dual layers. by Korudo at 1:15 AM (1,271 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Korudo
    OP

Member Korudo Koru Productions

United States
    I have been running cios rev 17 and can't get metroid or smash to read. In uloader it tells me "error -2" I tried installing the proper ios for metroid, i upgraded to cios rev 20, still nothing. In neogamme (DVD Err(1179), Disc ID) I even tried downgrading to rev 15, which supposedly has DL support fixed. What do i need to restore DL support? Thanks in advance.

Edit: 4.1u wii, softmodded + outdated Yaosm chip.

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
  3. Korudo
    OP

United States
    I have a lens cleaner, and just cleaned it yesterday. Thanks anyway.

4. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    are you setting the layer break properly when you burn it? are u using dvd-r DL?

5. Korudo
    OP

United States
    I set it properly and manually. I can't change the book type because my drive is a "supermulti" and i can't figure out if it is a benq, lite-on, whatever. I am using a dvd+r DL to burn metroid, couldn't find any -r's. My copy of Smash Bros is a +r dl and it worked fine months ago when i last tested it. I'm guessing something i updated may have caused DL support to break. I'm trying to get it back, but pulling my hair out with the constant dead ends.

6. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    get -r's. i dont know why people think +r's work... there are ways to make them work but you have to burn it as a dvd-rom or something... i saw a tutorial on another site that sounds like "miibacks.com"(not allowed to mention that site)

but yeah get -r's and verbatims... they are the best... also cios 249 20b base 56

should work good luck

7. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    must be the generation of drive in the wii....my wii reads +R just fine...burning the same as -R.....it's worth a shot to try + if that's all you got....if it doesn't work, THEN get your fingers on some -....

i use NERO6 to burn my iso's...everything you read about BURNING AT SLOWEST SPEED is rubbish too....i burn everything at a minimum of 8x, sometimes 16x if i'm in a hurry...never had a problem....

even for DL discs, i use +R DL's.....

i have read that the early generation wii's drives couldn't read DL discs very well....even the authentic NINTY discs....

8. Korudo
    OP

United States
    I got my wii about 6 months after launch, so the drive is indeed old. However, i have a copy of Smash Bros. burned onto a Verbatim +R DL and it worked just fine the last time i tried it. However, today neither Smash nor Metroid Other M show up in the disc channel or any of my loaders.

It's either something i updated broke DL support (Which i just installed 20b base ios 56, which did nothing) OR it's my dvd drive on my laptop, which i can't set the book type to in imgburn as i have no idea what type of drive it is, all i can find is "Slimtype DVD A DS8A3S HA17 (SATA)" doesn't tell me if it is a benQ or lite-on or anything. I'm trying another copy with Nero right now, I'll post again when it finishes. I'm using Verbatim DVD+R DL currently btw. Didn't have any -R DL's at my nearest best buy.

9. Korudo
    OP

United States
    Same. Nero didn't help either.

10. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    Try reinstalling rev20b but use base 38 instead and c how that goes! lol

11. Korudo
    OP