Wii won't read discs--should I bother with a lens cleaner?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by HPepper, Jan 9, 2011.

1. HPepper
    OP

Newcomer HPepper Newbie

United States
    I'm pretty sure I need to replace the DVD drive on my Wii, but I don't want to go thru the hassle and expense if it could simply be a dirty lens.

Initially, I was getting this error on some discs: "An error has occurred. Press eject button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii Console off and refer to the wii operations manual for help troubleshooting"

Now I'm just getting the "Unable to read disc" error on every disc. Before, the disc would at least spin and then fail. Now they won't even spin.

Is it possible that this is ONLY a dirty lens issue? If not, I won't bother buying the lens cleaner and I'll just jump straight into the drive replacement.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    just get into usb loading. Just download the games you own if you feel like it. I don't see why you would replace the drive if you can usb load.

3. NoOneDies

Member NoOneDies GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Does it work when loading originals?

Anyways loading games from discs its kinda outdated, try getting an usb loader.

4. HPepper
    OP

Newcomer HPepper Newbie

United States
    I only have originals, but I do have a some of our games copied to a hard drive. We sample games thru Blockbuster's game pass so we know whether they're worth buying later. However, that's beside the point. I can't rip games that I own now because the drive won't even spin a disc that's inserted.

5. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The cleaning kits are pretty cheap so I guess its worth a try.