Wii wont read discs, can I mod it to use USB HDD instead?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Chargin, May 13, 2009.

1. Chargin
    OP

Chargin Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2009
    My Wii wont read discs anymore.
    Its out of warranty, it just stopped reading discs one day, every disc gives a read error now.

I modded it today from virgin 4.0 hoping to be able to use a USB drive and copy all my games to that.
    But I think Im discovering this plan wont be possible though as I believe I cant get the games onto the USB drive using windows, I dont have Linux.

What could I do?
    Ive been able to rip games to my PC from the disc, using a program I found here, but I believe I cant actually copy these ISOs to a USB drive and just expect it to work.
    What about people who illegally download? I never pirate games but surely they are downloading to a PC first? or do they just do it straight to the Wii?
    Maybe I could get copies of the games I own that way if its the only possibility.

2. joshed

joshed GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2008
    United States
    PHXAZ
    If you have the game iso on your pc you can use a WBFS manager copy it to an HDD. There are many, and there are versions for linux, windows, and mac.

3. Alexrose

Alexrose Untitled

Jan 20, 2009
    England
    http://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com/

Also, can you link to this tool to allow you to rip games through a PC dvd drive? I didn't know there was such a thing, I thought there were just like 2 drives that were able to dump it and they could do it already without programs?

4. joshed

joshed GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2008
    United States
    PHXAZ
    I belive there is a wbfs manager that rips games directly to wbfs drive if you have one of those 2 drives.

5. Chargin
    OP

Chargin Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2009
    Well thats a relief, I read a direct post that said "can I rip games using a pc" and someone wrote back saying no, only linux at this stage and that was about a month ago.