Wii wont read disc error 1208

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dragonkid6, May 13, 2011.

May 13, 2011
  1. dragonkid6
    OP

Member dragonkid6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So my friend(neighbor) has destructive kids, he's always going thru games so I started backing them so they can ruin the backups instead. His system is on 4.1U and I have darkcorp installed so that his girls(5 of them) can just insert and play. But while he was playing CoD:BO his Wii suddenly had a disc read error, when I checked out his IOSs(cause newer games required Menu Rebooter to play the games from the disc channel and when you insert new games the Wii system update appears) I saw that his CIOS20b(iso249 had a stub) had been replaced and so had a few other IOSs.

So after tinker around with Wii and comparing it with mine, which is fully....everything, everything "looks" good. Homebrew run fine, hackmii loads, games run from the USB drive but no matter what his Wii refuses to load discs. I havn't tried any commercial games cause I haven't been to his place but backups that load on my Wii do not load on his nor do dvds load in media player.

I can post the syscheck latter if needed, but' I've never needed so I don't have it on hand. I haven't had ANY problems on my Wii on 3 years and I only recently updated his from rev14-rev17 then to rev20b cause he wanted to play Black Ops.

Also he has a boot2v4 even tho he got his Wii a week after mine [​IMG]

2. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    Sounds like the wii dvd drive is dying, because you played too much backups which is killing the wii drive and now you get that read error of course.

3. dragonkid6
    OP

United States
    Am I to believe that it's a coincidence that his IOSs were messed with AND his drive died in the middle of the game? Not to mention some stuff he says makes no sense: his Wii no longer had a cios but he was able to load the game then mid game his drive stopped working; or Wii was accidentally updated and something happened half way thru and now some ios is out of whack for the dvd drive.

Is there a specific ios for the dvd drive that cios use to play backups?

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    cIOS's have nothing to do with loading discs from the retail channel. It doesn't matter that they were stubs. Using burned discs wear down on your lens. The fact that you got the error in the middle of the game is just more proof that it isn't related to the IOS's.

5. dragonkid6
    OP

United States
    So I just ignored that system was also updated and it's simply that the dvd drive died?

6. JoostinOnline

United States
    Yes, the update (which could have happened a long time ago anyway) has nothing to do with the drive failing. You need to accept that instead of arguing.

7. JoshuaS153

Member JoshuaS153 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Blackops kills wiis.

8. dragonkid6
    OP

United States
    Notice how I put the question mark at the end of my statement?(and i'm using it here too) anyways thnx for info.

9. JoostinOnline

United States
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your statement as sarcasm.

10. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If you feed your Wii with near bad burns, or dual layer DVD-R, it dies faster than it would with good burns. Discs with lots of scatches are something i would keep far away from my wii as well. Anyways, if you want to know if it's a software or a hardware problem, then just install the latest cIOS with base IOS56 as IOS249 with ModMii. Then run NeoGamma and try your discs, if they still don't work, the drive is dead. Well if you are lucky then the lens is just dirty, but it's unikely.

11. dragonkid6
    OP

United States
    Like I said, the guy has destructive disc and he never thinks to put them up or clean them, so yeah his disc are screwed up.

Plus it doesn't matter any more, the guy is being a total dick now saying it's my fault his disc drive broke saying that hacking it broke it and that he never asked me to mod his, I just came over the day after they got it and took it.

EDIT: mind you this was 3 years ago. so IMO his Wii had a good run for someone who doesn't take care of anything they own. I have 250 hours on CoD: Reflex which is double more than his time on all games from a burnt disc and yet mine runs like new. anyways way this topic is no longer my concern.

12. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    switch him over to usb loading, no worries, mate....

13. JoostinOnline

United States
    Well he sounds like a pirate to me, so tell him that he deserves a broken Wii for breaking the law. [​IMG]

14. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just another reason I say never mod anyone elses game system. Let them figure it out themselves, if they can't no hackz for them.

If you happen to come back and read this OP and if you ever talk to this person again; usb loading is the way for them to go.