Misc Wii Won't Connect to WiFi

Vuzsv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two Wii's, a white and a black. Both are original models, supporting GameCube backwards compatibility. I upgraded my WiFi to 400mbps. We stayed with the same provider though (Spectrum.) There is a 2G and 5G option obviously, and the Wii only supports the 2G like usual. However, now that I've upgraded, it recognizes the 2G WiFi, it will let me select it, but after I put in the password it runs a network connection test and gives me error code 51330, and I've tried all the troubleshooting on Nintendo's page. Both of them do this for some reason. Can someone help me figure out what to do? They are running system menu 4.3U and are homebrewed.

Last edited by Vuzsv,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have two Wii's, a white and a black. Both are original models, supporting GameCube backwards compatibility. I upgraded my WiFi to 400mbps. We stayed with the same provider though (Spectrum.) There is a 2G and 5G option obviously, and the Wii only supports the 2G like usual. However, now that I've upgraded, it recognizes the 2G WiFi, it will let me select it, but after I put in the password it runs a network connection test and gives me error code 51330, and I've tried all the troubleshooting on Nintendo's page. Can someone help me figure out what to do? My Wii is running system menu 4.3U and is homebrewed.

I've changed my Internet services up to 4 times.
Each one with different providers.

Only 1 out of those 4 didn't worked with my Wii nor with my DS.

Seems like bad luck and a compatibility issue.

Perhaps, try using a USB Lan adapter to be sure?

Vuzsv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've changed my Internet services up to 4 times.
Each one with different providers.

Only 1 out of those 4 didn't worked with my Wii nor with my DS.

Seems like bad luck and a compatibility issue.

Perhaps, try using a USB Lan adapter to be sure?
Ok, I'll try this. Thanks for the response!

Reactions: orangy57

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I originally got my Wii it had trouble connecting it to my network. I can't remember the exact error code it gave me, but I fixed it by temporarily changing the WiFi channel to 1 and making sure 802.11b rates were allowed.

Weirdly once the Wii was connected to my network I could change the WiFi channel to anything and it'd still connect.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could be the security. I'm not sure what the wii supports, but it may only be wep or wpa v1 while you may have it setup for wpa v2. that's why the psp can't connect to a router using newer security.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have two Wii's, a white and a black. Both are original models, supporting GameCube backwards compatibility. I upgraded my WiFi to 400mbps. We stayed with the same provider though (Spectrum.) There is a 2G and 5G option obviously, and the Wii only supports the 2G like usual. However, now that I've upgraded, it recognizes the 2G WiFi, it will let me select it, but after I put in the password it runs a network connection test and gives me error code 51330, and I've tried all the troubleshooting on Nintendo's page. Both of them do this for some reason. Can someone help me figure out what to do? They are running system menu 4.3U and are homebrewed.
If your wifi is set to WPA2 only, it may not work with the Wii. I'm not sure if the Wii supports WPA2, but the PSP definitely does not, and they are from the same console generation, so that's most likely why. You can set your router to WPA/WPA2 mixed, it will make your wifi somewhat less secure, but it probably doesn't matter.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Hello.:)

If you have USB HDD plugged in,please try it when they unplugged.
Even when they positioned on TOP of the Wii please put them aside of the Wii.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-wifi-suddenly-cant-connect-to-router.376888/page-2#post-8933781

I had this Network Issue on the Wii and Wii U.

Thank you.:)

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
could be the security. I'm not sure what the wii supports, but it may only be wep or wpa v1 while you may have it setup for wpa v2. that's why the psp can't connect to a router using newer security.

It supports WPA2-PSK (AES-CCMP). It's what I'm currently using via OpenWrt.

Nintendo claims that the Wii does support 802.11g, but if you've got 802.11b disabled (since a device using 802.11b slows down all wireless devices connected to the network) then the Wii won't connect. So you must have 802.11b enabled if you want a Wii to connect to your network.

Last edited by blackb0x,

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
I have this problem today with my Wii U (vwii mode) after update my openwrt firmware. It seems the latest openwrt kernel is the problem since I didn't have the legacy 802.11b option on. Now I need this option for my Wii U stays online on Wii mode.

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've had a similar problem not too long ago when we got our internet upgraded. It came with a new modem that the Wii couldn't connect to, in fact, it wasn't even listed with the other networks. Luckily, I have a NETGEAR router that the Wii can support, and it works just fine.

D

Deleted User

I had this problem with my DS and DSi XL (in DS mode) last year but I fixed it by creating a mobile hot spot on my phone and setting the security to something that the DS supports.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One good idea for your old consoles and handhelds is to get a second router (and older spare one or one for basically free off of ebay) and connect that router as secondary one to your current one, then have your old devices connect to the second one. This will effectively run a second wifi network for your old devices with the older security features that they can understand which can be turned on and off without affecting any other devices.

Setup is usually pretty simple and even works with most locked down routers, you just need a free lan port on your current box, a LAN cable, and then set two or three settings in the secondary router so it properly connects to the new one.

A pretty decent guide can be found at https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/setup-a-second-wireless-router-on-your-home-network/. Personally I'm using my 10 year old Easy Box from Vodafone and have all my old consoles connect to that thing instead of my modern one.

BeanMKW

certified wii u owner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One good idea for your old consoles and handhelds is to get a second router (and older spare one or one for basically free off of ebay) and connect that router as secondary one to your current one, then have your old devices connect to the second one. This will effectively run a second wifi network for your old devices with the older security features that they can understand which can be turned on and off without affecting any other devices.

Setup is usually pretty simple and even works with most locked down routers, you just need a free lan port on your current box, a LAN cable, and then set two or three settings in the secondary router so it properly connects to the new one.

A pretty decent guide can be found at https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/setup-a-second-wireless-router-on-your-home-network/. Personally I'm using my 10 year old Easy Box from Vodafone and have all my old consoles connect to that thing instead of my modern one.

Yeah but.. my Wii and even my DS just connect to a new router. There's no point in 2!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...