wii with harddrive enclosure problems

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by smuddge, Sep 13, 2009.

Sep 13, 2009
  1. smuddge

Newcomer smuddge Advanced Member

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    K heres the deal.
    I have a wii, and 2 usb harddrive enclosures for 2.5 ide 80gb and 2.5 40gb laptop drives usb powered (no ac adapter for them).
    both work fine and are detected in usb loader gx, however the problem is when i am running a game for 15mins or more it blows my wii power brick.
    Not sure what is causing it. These were both Nintendo branded wii power adapters not some cheap 3rd party ones. I don't have any issues when playing from disk so I am 99% sure it is either the enclosure or the usb ports on the wii are not giving proper 5volts.
    Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be happening. I don't really want to test to much more as 2 wii power bricks blowing kind of pisses me off.
    Most 2.5 drive enclosures are usb powered not powered with ac adapter so I am limited as to my choices if it is the enclosure itself.

I don't have to use 2.5 drives I just have a bunch of spare ones with enclosures and they are small enough that they are not even noticed when sitting with the wii.
    they are white and match it identically which is kind of why I wanted to keep using them.

Also any guides around to repair blow power bricks....