Hardware Wii will not power on

Tylervit2418

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend has a Wii and he says it will not power up at all. He says that he unplugged everything and plugged everything back in, yet the Wii doesn't even have the red light on the front. I had no clue what to tell him, so I told him to bring it to my house and we can try my power cord just to see if anything happens, yet that will not be for several hours. Does anyone else know if there is something that can be fixed? Or would we just have to call Nintendo?

In case it matters, we have not modified any of the hardware on the Wii.

Thanks

henkp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When it's within warranty-period (and you haven't softmodded anything), you should call nintendo before trying to fix it yourself. When it's without warranty, It can be a good idea to check for something burned (smell the inside), and if you find it's a transistor or something similar which is easily (de)soldered, replace it yourself (radioshack is your friend). Otherwise, you'll probably be better off buying yourself a new wii.

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
Are your plugs fitted with fuses? If so check that
smile.gif

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rustybanana said:
Are your plugs fitted with fuses? If so check that
smile.gif

We don't have those here. You literally just stick the plug into a live socket. (I know a few Europeans who came here, who were scared to actually just plug something in, like a hair dryer after a shower)

Also make sure the the ac adapter stays unplugged for a while before trying it again. Theres a breaker/fuse that will flip when something goes wrong, leaving it unplugged for a while (anyone know the exact amount of time?) and plug it back up and it will work. Unless of course the fuse is totally fried, which in that case, you need a new ac adapter.

mdmachine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK Wii wont turn on.

Like was said if it is under warranty, best bet is to send it in.

You can do some small troubleshooting (of course if you feel confident in doing this).
I would first test the power supply, simply get a multimeter and test the PSU input (to the Wii) plug. I am not sure what the Wii uses, but I'll assume its output will be DC 12v and the wii internally steps that down (through design) to whatever the components need.

If its the power cord, then that's solved.

Now if your not under warranty, its time to crack that Wii open. You want to avoid a ESD. So ground yourself out or risk your Wii.

Fact about ESD. You feel a static shock at roughly 6k volts. You see the static arc at around 20k volts. To fry a board it only takes as low as 0.5 volts! If that does not make sense do some reading about Volts and Amps and ESD. Amps BTW is what will kill you if your not careful.

ESD
Volts
Amps

Now...

Off the bat check for "bloated" capacitors. Most electronics use extremely cheap components, and it wouldn't be the 1st time I have seen the CAPS go. So if you see the tops look like its bloated, remove them and re-solder in new ones with the exact same specs.

Without going into detail capacitors are used for not only retaining a charge, but to ensure proper levels of voltage and amps is steady through the circuits.

Then check for transistors that are burnt out, but in my experience CAPS go first and the most. Same deal, discharge yourself and replace with the same spec trans.

If its chips and stuff, depending on if you can get a replacement, you can redo those, but troubleshooting chips is difficult at best.

At that point (depending on your skill level) its time to contact a professional.

MD

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read my previous post. The ac adapter has a breaker in it. If its engaged, then a multimeter won't do anything.

And if someone is going to go through the wii and check all of the capacitors, resistors, transistors, and diodes, then someone already knows how to do this. A noobs first project should not be repairing a wii in this fashion. Something as simple as crappy solder can ruin a project like that.
If the wii itself is screwed, sell it on ebay, take the money and get a new one.

(Re-read my message, thought it sounds like I was contradicting you. In fact, I'm reiterating what you said. Just want to make it clear.)

mdmachine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol fair enough.

Although I would say soldering a capacitor is hardly rocket science...
wink.gif

And I did miss about the breaker thing, interesting I'll have to take a look at mine.

MD

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mdmachine said:
lol fair enough.

Although I would say soldering a capacitor is hardly rocket science...
wink.gif

And I did miss about the breaker thing, interesting I'll have to take a look at mine.

MD

Very true, its not. But again, if someone doesn't already know this, they WILL mess something up. Like put them back on the wrong way, or use like a 50w iron.
wink.gif

Yeah, the breaker is a much needed feature. I had a few gc plugs burned out from brown-outs, and power spikes in the old apartment I used to live in. Ive had the breaker flip on the Wii twice now, and it always takes me a minute to remember its a breaker and not a fuse. If it happens, leave the cable unplugged from the wall for 5-10 mins and then replug it in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.