Hacking "Wii will improve the ability to read the disk"

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of fuss over the dreaded 3.4 update, and a million posters after this dude with a valid question.

I thought I'd quote his query and allow peeps to discuss this in a seperate topic.

The quote......

Tetsuo Shima said:
On nintendo's japan page i read "Wii will improve the ability to read the disk". Wondering if it refers to noises from the DVD drive everyone's talking about (they happen with retail games, even without Backup Loaders)

Now, I have read A LOT about the DVD drive of Wii's making noises, so wonder if this has sometihng to do with it.
Many reasons surface when people run into read errors and noise from the Wii. These include lots of things, chip, loose wire, postition of the wii, media, speed of burn, dvd- or dvd+, backup loader, faulty drive etc etc etc. Some with a brand new wii.

Is the fault a nintendo thing, and are they trying to fix it without a product recall? On the QT?
Anyway, feel free to post your opinions/findings.

I haven't updated and I'm on 3.2E with my wii away getting it's drive replaced (lol)

NeoNight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeeeeaaah, Why is it every time i see these types of threads it contains either the topic creator or someone in the post mentioning something about their drive getting replaced! lol

Lifesnoozer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jwbproject.se
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
cant imagine a firmware update can help better dvd reading do you..? sd reading yeah, but surely a firmware update couldn't help better dvd reading. hmm
'course it can. Better reading of the code and such helps a lot.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
'course it can. Better reading of the code and such helps a lot.
After 2 years of the wii, they decide to throw this at us...hmm interesting!
When i think of Nintendo, it remind me of the Orange bus driving past
tongue.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course they can make better firmware for the drives. What interests me is the fact that they did this before to let people play a dual layer game SSBB.

Now why did they do that? Short answer they NEEDED to.

A company won't spend any money it doesn't NEED to.

So this is needed, but how?

I think it is something to do with the speed of the reading from DVD, but thats just one random guess
tongue.gif

One thing I know for sure is a company like Nintendo doesn't add sometihng for no reason at all.

Perhaps this could be a really, really great thing that leads to less read errors for people, longer lasting drives (for me) and once decompiled something better for the backup loader crowd.

oh, btw my own wii drive died imo because of the switching between 3x and 6x on my wii key. (and 24/7/365 use)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a trap, perhaps. LOL!

Firmware is an enemy.. They always does that to prevent homebrew program and many other things. No wonder Firmware can be so evil.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users