Wii / Wii U Transfer Nonsense - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by GameFreakDude, Mar 30, 2013.

Mar 30, 2013
  1. GameFreakDude
    OP

Newcomer GameFreakDude More gorgeous than any Hollywood star!

Canada
    This is a long story. For a long time, I've had Bootmii installed as boot2 on my launch-day Wii. I've also used the HBC, HBB, and other homebrew applications, but never got into modifying IOSes. A while ago, I got a Wii U, so I backed up the Wii's NAND, removed the HBC and Bootmii as boot2 to be safe, and used the transfer tool to bring over games and saves and whatnot, reinstalling Bootmii as boot2 on my Wii later. Shortly afterward I realized I couldn't use the VC games on the Wii U because the Wii U lacks GC ports, so I restored the NAND backup I made prior to the transfer. Today, I decided to get Mario Tennis via Club Nintendo. Since I need to use the old Wii for VC games, I went to redeem the download ticket on there. The shop channel wanted me to update first, so I did that, then downloaded Mario Tennis. Once I got back to the Wii Menu, I discovered Nintendo deleted all the other games on my Wii. Unfortunately, the solution is not as simple as restoring the old NAND backup, putting all the VC games on the SD card, and trying to move them over to the newer NAND backup with Mario Tennis on it. The Wii just coyly says "The data may not have been moved" and does nothing.

Then I thought, maybe I can just restore the old NAND backup and try to install a Mario Tennis WAD onto it with some kind of tool. I spent many, many hours today delving into the world of IOSes and CIOSes, but no matter what I tried, WAD Manager 1.7 would always give me a -1022 error. I tried d2x base 56, 57, and 38, and Hermes base 37. I'm pretty sure it's not my WAD - I packed it from my own NAND backup, and it will run in Dolphin (not that I can see anything, but I can hear it working). I also repacked a TruchaSigned WAD, and that didn't work either. Always that -1022 error.

Technically I can just switch between NANDs to play the different VC games, but that's a hell of a lot of work, not the safest option, and not something my sisters can do if they want to switch from Mario Tennis to Yoshi's Story. Do any of the great minds here have sister-friendly solutions/suggestions? Is there a better way to try and get Mario Tennis on the old NAND? Should I look into NAND emulation?

I just want to be able to play all the VC games I paid cash and coins for.

2. Nemesis90

Member Nemesis90 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds like you need cIOS 236 for installation, although i'm not sure it's safe on the WiiU.

3. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    I have 236 installed as well. To clarify, I'm trying to do this on my Wii, not my U's VWii.

4. Nemesis90

Member Nemesis90 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hmm, well i'm not sure man. The only thing i can tell you is that -1022 means the content doesn't match the hash in TMD.

5. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    Don't know if that's actually what's wrong, though. I've repackaged the WAD a bunch of times, still with no success. Running the WAD through Wiimms' JustSign utility should fix that hash, right?

6. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    I've tried MMM and YAWMM as well, with no success. They all give the same error code: -1022. There's definitely enough space on my Wii to do this. I've tried a bunch of different d2x and hermes IOS configurations. I've repacked the WAD many, many times, and I've even tried a pirated WAD (which ended up being the same as one of mine). -1022 error with everything.

Wish members could change the title of their own topics.

7. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    I also tried a reverse approach today - I restored the NAND from after I downloaded Mario Tennis and tried to install the games I lost in the process, instead of restoring the NAND from before the download and then trying to install Mario Tennis. The result was that all install attempts resulted in -1022 errors, except for my copy of Fluidity, which installed just fine. Can't figure out why only that worked. Save for that and Cave Story, all the other games I tried to install are Virtual Console titles, but since Cave Story didn't install either, it doesn't seem to be exclusive to VC titles... I'm so lost.

A somewhat unrelated rant: I've been trying my damndest to get all my VC games working on my Wii, trying all sorts of things with no success. While running the IOS 236 installer again, I noticed there was an additional step it said to only do if you needed to do pirating. Until now I ignored it, but this time I decided to look at it to see if it could fix anything. It then proceeded to undo all the work it just did, and scold me for being a pirate. Trying to run it again just resulted in more scolding. God, that pissed me off. I couldn't figure out where the hell it was saving its information to keep itself from rerunning, so I ended up spending half an hour redownloading all the tools and reformatting my SD card again and applying my NAND backup to my Wii through Bootmii again. Fucking hell, I've spent enough hours of time trying to get this shit to work, I don't want to deal with your bullshit pirate deterrent. That's not gonna stop piracy, it's just gonna piss people off, and you're gonna look like a dick.

8. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    you don't need GC ports to play vc games. when playing vc games it will tell you to use classic controller. (this plugs into the wiimote.). the only games that use the GC ports are GC games.
    now on to the other. 1022 code is that this games ticket is still present on the wii. an the wad or the game you have gotten from shop channel can't be loaded until the previous ticket is removed.( had this same problem with my nieces wii when we got it from a pawn shop.) get any title deleter mod ( google it.) it will show every single thing that has been put on the wii. find the correct ticket for the mario tennis an delete it. then try to reload the wad. by the way before doing any of this because you up dated i would use modmii an rehack the wii.

9. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    I need GC ports because
    • I only have one Classic Controller
    • Classic Controllers are shit
    • the GameCube controller is the best controller ever made
    I restored my NAND from before I redeemed my download code for Mario Tennis, and it won't install onto that, so that's not the problem.

10. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Hmm, if you restore your NAND, pack all of your games into WAD files with WiiMod, download Mario Tennis and THEN reinstall all the WAD files, do they stick or do they disappear again?

Another thing, you don't have to update to be able to download again. You just have to install the latest version of the shop channel.

Also, not sure if a patched IOS80 would help you.

(the patched IOS80, the shop channel WAD and WiiMod you can all get from ModMii in the download pages.)

11. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    Can't figure out how to pack WADs with WiiMod. Elaborate?
    Installing the latest shop channel without updating still deletes all my other games upon downloading Mario Tennis.
    Couldn't get anything done with a patched IOS80.
    WiiMod does give me a more detailed error message:
    "Content did not match hash in TMD.​
    Try AHBPROT mode or an IOS with the correct permissions."​
    What do those suggestions mean exactly ??

12. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    For anyone curious: I gave up on installing the games that I had before the system transfer onto the Wii the way it was after the system transfer. Nothing worked. Instead, I ended up creating a boot2 SNEEK SD card setup. It's simple, my sister won't have to navigate any foreign interfaces, and with bootmii in boot2 now being the only modification made to the Wii, she should be able to buy games and update the Wii without any interference from Nintendo. Unless updating the Wii with bootmii installed under boot2 isn't as safe as I think it is...?

13. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    I have found that the WAD installer within PimpMyWii works alot better than the other WAD installers out there... I get no install errors at all.

14. GameFreakDude
    OP

Canada
    In my more desperate states, I actually did try the infamous BrickMyWii, but it didn't do anything more than the other installers did.