Wii Ware: Is This Nintendo's First Blunder?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by webyugioh, May 26, 2008.

May 26, 2008
  1. webyugioh
    OP

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Found this on yahoo and though it was interesting.

I agree with the storage space issues, even with homebrew USB Mass storage, what will normal consumers do?

2. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I think this is a very poor review, because you expect the writer to give various rock solid reasons for the possible failing of the Wii Ware service, while in fact it just bothers the reader with continuous rant about storage issues. Yeah we know that! And there probably will be a solution soon. For the rest mr Mike Smith is just making some feeble attempts to slag off Wii Ware because of long download times and Orange Mario's. What the fuck is this???!!! This is not criticism....this is just MOANING about NOTHING!

What a useless article.

BOOH to Mike Smith.

3. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States
    Agreed, the reasoning was very weak. And the storage issue isn't a fault with the WiiWare service.

4. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    First blunder? Remember the Virtual Boy, Yahoo?

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Pretty much, if only Nintendo listen to Gunpei and not rushed to release it then it before it was finished then it could have been an success.

On to this, I've seen WiiWare running and I don't see it as a blunder at all, its a very nice service, its the space on the Wii that is the problem.

6. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    I think they were referring to the Wii's first blunder.

7. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    The ONLY valid gripe there is the 512MByte of storage.

Everything else there is just bitching and whining and not based on anything but opinion, and from the tone of it, the opinion of someone insanely lazy who wants crap hand fed to his lazy ass on a golden spoon.

Entering info for the CC# etc is GOOD, it's secure and safe in case your crap ever gets stolen as it's not stolen with it, and you money, your identity, etc. Also it's very EASY to tap away entering a word or two and a 16digit CC number. The WiiWare, all the VC service, is very easy to navigate and gives multiple shortcuts to find stuff based on genres, systems, makers, etc to get to what you want fast.

The guy is just a lazy idiot whiner. If he put as much effort into getting games on his download service as he did articulating that long winded bitchiness fest he'd be a lot happier.

8. scousethief

Member scousethief GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The wii needs more memory, alot more.

9. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    sensationalism.

"hey everyone has those Nintendo Wiis, I should try to make them panic!"

10. Scorpin200

Banned Scorpin200 Iceman

United States
    Blunder? not unless you mean due to the fact that it was cracked to be made free that's actually a good thing [​IMG] At least you can get some decent looking games that you know will be good.

11. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Yep.. space is a problem, entering your credit card number with your Wiimote is not as good as with a keyboard, but it's still better than using a common controller..

Anyway, you have to keep in mind that Nintendo is aiming for the general public here.. not just gamers who are used to technology and can handle computers well.. and the Wii interface is easy and very intuitive to use.

I didn't knew that XBL keep your credit card number saved.. I don't think that is very safe.. [​IMG]

12. TanookiSuit

United States
    ^True nothing is as easy as a keyboard, but the pointer is still easy and fairly quick and painless. Also the Wii natively for over a years worth of updates now has supported most USB keyboards so it's an option.

13. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Much like everyone else, I agree that the only valid complaint is the size limitations and people have bitched long enough. Ninty is looking into it and yeah, they goofed there. I've almost filled it up on 100% LEGIT purchases. Dr Mario being the latest of them.

And the progress bar, wow. What a fucking goof. Surely in the time he had been sitting there staring at it for as long as he thinks he has been he would have realized that it's pretty easy to see that, while it is not the most detailed of reports, it is simple to understand. Personally, I want an autoboot option for my games. I turn on the Wii and I want it to go straight to the game that I put in while it was even "off".

14. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    I agree mostly with the article, but I'd like to add things about pricing. Imo the prices of wiiware games are too high compared to ps3 and xbox360 downloadable games prices.
    Actually I'm not 100% how much xbox xbox live arcade titles costs, but whatever. : p Anyway psn store's titles are usually 7,99€ or cheaper and you can share it with 4 friends. So it makes it like 8/5= 1.6€/person. Not a bad price for a game. You don't really even get n64 game from shopping channel with 8€.

I'm not promoting psn store for everyone or anything, but I just don't like how nintendo ripoffs people with everything. Yay buy wii that's basicly just gamecube with motion sensors when you can get xbox360 and 1-2 games with same price. Then they make you buy 10 different controllers for it. + 5€ for a nes game? 10€ for n64 game? I can get real cart cartridges cheaper. (if it's not some super rare game) And it's even a console made for childrens basicly. Before Nintendo knew that kids don't have massive amounts of money and they made cheap consoles. Like gamecube or gameboywhatever. Maybe they got to taste the fortuneeess and power that came with nintendo ds and got greedy. : |

Also nintendo fucked up so almost everyone can just download wiiware titles if they want = small developers don't get their money :<

Sorry wall of text and not even good english.

15. CockroachMan

Brazil

16. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Yea I know that Nintendo has no reason to drop the prices, but it just feels wrong. : p
    And with that wiiware thing i was referring to was installers etc. but maybe developers get paid enough even if the game doesn't sell [​IMG]

17. wiidsguy

Member wiidsguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the wii is over priced what are you talking about, you must be some kind of cheap ass, its only 250.00 really is that that much for a it how much do you think it should be really how much would make you happy, i have many great games and i have no proble with the price of any of, and trust me i am not rich. but what ever i guess.

18. zoharmodifier

Member zoharmodifier GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think space is an issue. I'm not sure how some gamers are, but I don't go around buying VC or WiiWare games by the truckload. In the past year of owning a Wii, I've only bought 2 VC games and I only have 1 WiiWare game. Personally I don't see myself ever buying that many games. The few people (I'm assuming it's few) who do, can store them on SD cards, which is not a big hassle at all, unlike the way the author makes it sound.

So, how many VC/WiiWare games do you guys own? I really do not imagine people to own that many. (Legitimately, at least.)

19. CockroachMan

Brazil
    It's overpriced if you consider the cost of its parts and the cost of the other consoles.. I mean.. the Wii is basically a Game Cube, which is a 7 year old console and was being sold for 99USD when the Wii came out. Nintendo could sell the Wii for 150USD if they wanted to, and would still have profit! BUT if they did something like that they wouldn't be able to supply the demand.

20. TanookiSuit

United States
    Yah it's just a gamecube with motion control, if you want to be ignorant and not look at the beefed up chips, costs of parts, costs of r&d, prices of the licensed tech they pay another party for on the entire motion schematic and the rest. Seriously though they were going to break even basically selling it at $200USD on launch, but blame douchebag idiot consumers and the HD kiddos. Research Nintendo gathered and other outside sources showed people felt $200 vs the $400-600 the others were appeared to be 'budget' and cheapo, but for some reason $250 wasn't...so they went there and packed in Wii Sports as to not come off looking like the ghetto gamecube $99 bin that was the last few years of its life sadly.