Gaming wii ware backup from wii to wii?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i have a borrowed wii (which i will have for some months) and i wanted to get poke ranch... i alreadi tryed to download it ilegally but with that warning in mind "only install wads from reliable sources" i thought, fuck it, i can use nintendo club points and a few euros to get it legally

so i wanted to ask, keeping in mind that i softmodded the console.. if i get another wii (not borrowed like this one) can i copy my wiiware game from this wii to the new one?

how is the process? just copy the channel into the sd card and load it in another wii?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can dump the WAD from the Wii you made the purchase on (if the Wii is softmodded), and you can install that WAD onto the Wii you didn't make the purchase on (if it's also softmodded). If it were me, I would sidestep most of the work and just download the Pokemon Ranch WAD.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
You can dump the WAD from the Wii you made the purchase on (if the Wii is softmodded), and you can install that WAD onto the Wii you didn't make the purchase on (if it's also softmodded). If it were me, I would sidestep most of the work and just download the Pokemon Ranch WAD.

thanks, and how can i install it? i tried to use MMM since it installed IOS wads when i softmoded it, but it failed.. and when i tried to use YAWMM but i was not sure which IOS to select...

the problem is, i am not sure if the wad can be trusted and i dont want to go through the process of nand emulation, i spend all day trying to do other stuff...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can use Yet another Blue dump Mod to extract the channel to Wad.
It can also convert channels stored on SD menu to Wad (by converting them using the console used to store them on SD)

MMM should work, do you have an error code or message?
if a manager ask you to select an IOS, you can select 236 or 249

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
You can use Yet another Blue dump Mod to extract the channel to Wad.
It can also convert channels stored on SD menu to Wad (by converting them using the console used to store them on SD)

MMM should work, do you have an error code or message?
if a manager ask you to select an IOS, you can select 236 or 249

MMM just says it couldn't install, i found the problem, MMM was using IOS58... thanks for your help, 236 ios works

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
IOS58 should work too, as long as you have the meta.xml with <ahb_access/> tag in the same folder than you boot.dol

this makes me confused, where exacly on the console is the console copied to? to inside an IOS?

what is the correct IOS to choose? the one with system menu?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't understand your questions.

If you want to know about the meta.xml:
on your SD card, you need three files
apps/MultiModManager/boot.dol
apps/MultiModManager/meta.xml
apps/MultiModManager/icon.png

the meta.xml is required by The Homebrew Channel to list information (title, description, etc.) and to enable hardware access to the application.
MMM require hardware access to read/write the files on the NAND and extract/install Wads.

the meta.xml is a text file (you can open it in a text editor, like notepad++).
When you need hardware access, inside the meta.xml file, you need a line with "<ahb_access/>", or else it won't have access to NAND, and you will need to get NAND access by another method (using cIOS instead of IOS).

If you have hardware access, you don't need to choose a IOS or cIOS.
If you don't have hardware access, you need to choose IOS236 (which provide hardware access)

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I was also afraid of the fact that unreliable wads can brick the Wii.
But now I think there's a way to check it:
1. Unpack the wad, and check the ticket/tmd file to make sure they start with 00010001(installed channels) instead of 00000001(system stuff)
2. Install on dolphin emulator, and run a system menu with it to make sure the banner is not bad( bad banners will bannerbrick)

Reactions: migles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr