Hacking Wii WADs' noob Question

GalaxyHart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I want to know that will installing wii virtual console wads on my Wiiu have a chance of bricking it?
I am rather new to the scene and just got hold of the ropes, and this question is from what I have heard about it
If it isn't dangerous, a site from where I cand dowload wads would also be aperciated very much

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
http://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/
Potential risk of brick but still more or less doable(make sure you have a NAND backup, or at the very least a key dump from the modified xyzzy + hardware programmer):
- Installing channel wads (same reason as on regular Wii, mainly only if they have a bad banner or something, otherwise if they are confirmed ok, then they should be safe)

and to be more precise about this, I'm just gonna do the smart thing and quote Maxternal on this ^^
Original/unaltered VC WADs should be pretty safe (about the same as HBC, yes)

On the other hand, injected (or otherwise altered) WAD's you'd have to be careful with since if they corrupted the banner when they altered it, it could cause you a vWii mode brick.

Basically, if there's a safe place you can test them in first (like a USB Loader w/emuNAND or Dolphin ... or on an original Wii with xNEEK or some brick protection like PriiLoader/BootMii@Boot2), that would be ideal.
quote taken from here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-un-safe-is-it-to-install-vc-wads-on-vwii.359184/

edit: Im also gonna add this little quote, however Im not sure whether it's 100% true or not, but better be safe then sorry:

If you don't region-free patch the WAD, you'll end up with a banner brick, so be cautious.
quote taken from here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/is-it-safe-to-install-other-region-wad-files.359356/

GalaxyHart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.01.10_10h53m17s_001_.png
Oh, I forgot to ask this yesterday, how do I test wads on Dolphin emu?
like what should I look for

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
You need to find a system menu wad, use something like Modmii to download it.

See the Install WAD option? Dolphin will set up a Wii-like nand structure once you install a wad in /User/Wii/

example01.JPG

I don't remember if you need the System Menu IOS, if you want to avoid a possible issue just download and install it as well with Modmii.
Once you have it installed you can install channel wads and Load Wii System Menu from the tools menu. This is useful for testing the icon and banner.

BTW I've installed many injected VC wads for a very long time and never encountered any issues.

example02.JPG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)