Hardware Wii Visual/software problem?

mr90482

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Been having some problems with the Wii lately. After playing any game for 10 minutes (except for TvC) the screen starts to break up, as if there's some sort of interference. At first I thought my AV cables were dying, but I tried my friend's cables and I still get the same problem. Anybody know if this can be fixed.

I've got bootmii, but everytime I try to reboot the backup nand I have, the program can't seem to find itself
angry.gif

EDIT: Could it possibly be a hardware problem? (realised I posted this in the hardware section without asking about the hardware :S)

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
judging by the video Id say most likely the TV
try your Wii at your friends house (best - known good) or another TV
try your friends wii at your TV too

is it summer now where you life?
especially then I still think it is overheating

mr90482

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried it on another TV and I still get the same problem. I've had another person suggest that it could possibly be a problem with the cable input on the Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBTUDVlQ5zk
Here's another video of it screwing up on the 2nd TV, and my PS2 working on the 1st TV perfectly.

It wouldn't be the heat from the environment as it's currently winter for me and the house gets round about 15 degrees celcius with the heaters on.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Im not sure know what you mean with input cable ... the power cable?
It might be and its relatively easy to check too. Go for it.

Unless the fan is broken its probably not heat then.
I doubt its software related but with the new hbc an update isnt that difficult any more.

While I dont think its the cause using one of the other normal (wii menu - not hack) video modes might alleviate the symptoms
If you got a PAL Wii they are all PAL modes btw.

Did the error develop over time (intensity, frequency,...) or did it just start?

mr90482

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I meant where the AV cables connect to the Wii. Checked it out and the gold pins don't seem burnt out.

The problem developed over time. When it first started happening, it was just a slight colour problem, then after a while it just started screwing up really badly.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gradual degradation means its most certainly a hardware problem.
You checked the TV, Cables and Connectors.
That only leaves only the PSU and the Wii itself.
Unfortunately besides cooling there is nothing you can check yourself on the Wii.

Try another PSU and check the Fan and Air Intake for dust again.
If both doesn't help I'm out of ideas short of sending it in.

Well you could try and update it if you haven't already,
but I give it only a small chance since all running software should come from the disk not the nand.
Only the IOS comes from nand but is updated from the disk and should do only security stuff not graphics.

mr90482

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your help.

Apparently there's this guy my friend knows who can fix Wiis (friend's sending his in to fix his disc drive). I'll talk to him and see if he thinks it's the PSU or if it's the Wii.

Thanks again for helping me come to a more solid solution than I had before. Don't really wanna spend AU$300 for a new Wii. Need that money for a 3DS
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte