Hardware Wii video output flickers with new External Hd Drive

Brennock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So recently i bought a hdd case for an old 3.5in HDD that i had laying around. The case uses an external power supply of 12 or 5 volts at 2000mA and connects to the wii trough usb. I put everything the way it was suposed to, even made sure to ground the eletric socket. As soon as i put the usb on the wii, the video begins to flicker, as if it was interfering with the power.
I am suposing that it's either impossible to connect the case to my wii, the usb to usb cable that i have is not suitable or some other thing i am not aware of.
Help would be very much wanted, thank you!
PS: Sending some photos of the case that i bought.
PS2: I didn't format the HDD Fat32, but i'm currently backing up the data to do it.

Attachments

• 20200323_145716.jpg
    20200323_145716.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200323_145750.jpg
    20200323_145750.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
  • 20200323_145735.jpg
    20200323_145735.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 147
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So recently i bought a hdd case for an old 3.5in HDD that i had laying around. The case uses an external power supply of 12 or 5 volts at 2000mA and connects to the wii trough usb. I put everything the way it was suposed to, even made sure to ground the eletric socket. As soon as i put the usb on the wii, the video begins to flicker, as if it was interfering with the power.
I am suposing that it's either impossible to connect the case to my wii, the usb to usb cable that i have is not suitable or some other thing i am not aware of.
Help would be very much wanted, thank you!
PS: Sending some photos of the case that i bought.
PS2: I didn't format the HDD Fat32, but i'm currently backing up the data to do it.

Hello.:)
(Welcome to GBAtemp by the Way:toot:).

I can tell you only from a "similar" Experience.The same Symptoms.
The Solution was "very simple":

- Wii
- TV
- HDD
not connected on the same Power Strip.:huh:

Also:You should not put the HDD ON the Wii,in the worst Case your WiFi Connection fails....no joke.:D
(This depends on the HDD Case/Controller.)

Maybe it helps you too.:)

Good Luck and
Thank you.:)

Brennock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello.:)
(Welcome to GBAtemp by the Way:toot:).

I can tell you only from a "similar" Experience.The same Symptoms.
The Solution was "very simple":

- Wii
- TV
- HDD
not connected on the same Power Strip.:huh:

Also:You should not put the HDD ON the Wii,in the worst Case your WiFi Connection fails....no joke.:D

Maybe it helps you too.:)

Good Luck and
Thank you.:)
Thanks for the welcome :D
I got a voltage stabilizer that every eletronic is connected to, so i believe that puts them on the same power strip.
About that. Should i get some kind of usb extension?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Electrical interference. You got a bad HDD enclosure that sooner or later will fail.
I think i understand. But the hdd case is just a sata to usb converter eletronic board with aluminium enclosure. Can something as simple as that break? I will speak with the seller about that, but i will need more evidence, because it works fine on my pc.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think i understand. But the hdd case is just a sata to usb converter eletronic board with aluminium enclosure. Can something as simple as that break? I will speak with the seller about that, but i will need more evidence, because it works fine on my pc.
Oh, yes, they do. You won't like it when there's a power surge in that box when connected and happens to have an HDD attached.
I wasn't able to see my reflection when that happened, but it probably was a terror inducing face I made at that moment.

Brennock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Formated the hard drive and tried again. No luck. :wacko:
I guess it must have something to do with the power input. But in my computer it works just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond