MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Miiverse.jpg

Nintendo has said its Miiverse social networking service for Wii U will not support existing networks like Facebook and Twitter.
Miiverse will allow users to communicate with fellow Wii U gamers via text or video chat and, whilst Nintendo of Europe's Laurent Fischer says the company hopes to bring the service to smartphones and PCs in the future, extending its coverage to current social networking giants will be a no-go.
"I have three devices permanently doing that already, what is our benefit to do so also?" said Fischer during an interview with GamesIndustry International.
He added: "On the Wii U we do have additional reasons for connecting, we talked about things like the video chat system, nothing revolutionary but it's going to be convenient, it's going to be easy.
"And the Miiverse is the one actually that I believe has a very unique feature which is we put ourselves in the situation of making sure the people you can communicate with they are somehow already in a kind of community. The community will be the Wii U owners, who will have this common interest for video games and our expectation about that is it's going to be a way to enhance the idea of sharing information on the video game."
Killing hopes for Facebook and Twitter on Wii U is an odd one for us. After all, such services could make perfect use of the console’s GamePad.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I don't like them and I don't use them so I don't really give a mudkip. But its still kinda weird for Nintendo not to support this since they are Facebook supporters and all (especially since they put facebook intergration before most smartphones even got an official app.)

D

Deleted_171835

I don't care about Facebook support but Twitter would have been nice. This isn't a dealbreaker though.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Killing hopes for Facebook and Twitter on Wii U is an odd one for us. After all, such services could make perfect use of the console's GamePad.
You can still access them through the web browser, they just won't be integrated with the Miiverse service.

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a shame, I wanted to annoy the fuck out of my friends like they do with their fucking game requests.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
God bless Nintendo for this. Facebook and Twitter are both fucking awful, so it's nice to see neither are forcefully integrated into yet another god damn social aspect of gaming.

Killing hopes for Facebook and Twitter on Wii U is an odd one for us. After all, such services could make perfect use of the console's GamePad.

I don't think i'll ever understand console web browsers when you're sitting at a device at this very moment using a browser that's about 500x better than any PoS console browser.
I'm pretty sure console browsing was just a joke that got out of hand.

Reactions: 3 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are doom if they do, they are doom if they don't. :P

I don't think i'll ever understand console web browsers when you're sitting at a device at this very moment using a browser that's about 500x better than any PoS console browser.
I'm pretty sure console browsing was just a joke that got out of hand.
Maybe because everyone doesn't feel bother going to the PC to just check such things like facebook ,game hints or whatever other small things.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hate Facebook, and I no longer waste my life looking at everyone's new updates.
I only check it when I'm notified that I was contacted, or if I need to contact someone. And that's all done on my phone.
I just hope the Wii U web browser is decent though, unlike the Wii one, where any page 'takes up too much memory'.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It would have been nice for those that use them, but considering the WiiU could already do that via the browser, they probably felt it wasn't a necessity to have them integrated. Considering the replies in just this thread, a lot of people don't care about that integration, which only supports and reaffirms Nintendo's decision.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i hate facebook connectivity. i don't ever log in anywhere using my facebook profile anymore. facebook to me is a glorified address book and nothing more.

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
It was confirmed that the WiiU will have some sort of Trophies/Achievements. I hope its like the PS3 that when you unlock a trophy it appear on Facebook. I would like just that and that let you upload photos and videos taken with the GamePad.

matt382

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems kind of strange that they say they are trying to push social networking with the WiiU, yet skip over the two most popular social networking services in the world.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...