vegenigma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I just got my Wii a couple days ago and have a WiiKey on the way. My system is prompting me to download an update when I try to access certain channels. Is it okay to do so? I know the WiiKey is just a DVD drive firmware mod, but still... could these updates cause modded Wiis to be banned from Wii channels or even bricked?

On a side note, is there any way to tell if my Wii has the newer motherboard without opening it?

laurenz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
At the moment it's actually unsafe to keep your Wii outdated!
Not so long ago super paper mario came out and not-updated PAL wii's got bricked!

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its safe to update the wii firmware. The only dodgy updates were the ones on the PAL systems like paper mario. They flashed the PAL consoles with the NTSC firmware and it bricked them. If you had the PAL firmware upto date you wern't effected. With you having a NTSC wii already you've nothing to worry about.

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say they are safe at the moment. If you take a look at XB360 newz from very recently, M$ is banning some modded 360s from XB Live. Since the modchips in the Wii are the same kind of hack as the 360, it is hard to tell what the future will bring. While M$ has a history of banning modded xboxes from XB live in the XB1, Nintendo hasn't killed modded DS's online play so who knows what will happen.

asteroidearth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, i thought the x360's that got banned were only the ones that did the firmware upgrade on their dvd drive. I was under the impression that the soldered systems weren't effected.

If I'm wrong let me know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool