Wii Updates: Safe or not?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by vegenigma, May 18, 2007.

May 18, 2007

Wii Updates: Safe or not? by vegenigma at 7:04 PM (1,228 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. vegenigma
    OP

Newcomer vegenigma Member

United States
    Hi all,

I just got my Wii a couple days ago and have a WiiKey on the way. My system is prompting me to download an update when I try to access certain channels. Is it okay to do so? I know the WiiKey is just a DVD drive firmware mod, but still... could these updates cause modded Wiis to be banned from Wii channels or even bricked?

On a side note, is there any way to tell if my Wii has the newer motherboard without opening it?

2. dOOfus

Newcomer dOOfus Advanced Member

United States
    it's safe

3. laurenz

Member laurenz GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    At the moment it's actually unsafe to keep your Wii outdated!
    Not so long ago super paper mario came out and not-updated PAL wii's got bricked!

4. vegenigma
    OP

Newcomer vegenigma Member

United States
    Thanks for the responses. Anyone know if I can tell if I have the newer motherboard before opening my Wii?

5. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Its safe to update the wii firmware. The only dodgy updates were the ones on the PAL systems like paper mario. They flashed the PAL consoles with the NTSC firmware and it bricked them. If you had the PAL firmware upto date you wern't effected. With you having a NTSC wii already you've nothing to worry about.

6. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I've only heard of that one board being different in Taiwan. I've yet to hear of a newer DVD drive board revision in the states or in Europe.

7. dsdork

Newcomer dsdork Advanced Member

United States
    I'd say they are safe at the moment. If you take a look at XB360 newz from very recently, M$ is banning some modded 360s from XB Live. Since the modchips in the Wii are the same kind of hack as the 360, it is hard to tell what the future will bring. While M$ has a history of banning modded xboxes from XB live in the XB1, Nintendo hasn't killed modded DS's online play so who knows what will happen.

8. asteroidearth

Newcomer asteroidearth Newbie

United States
    See, i thought the x360's that got banned were only the ones that did the firmware upgrade on their dvd drive. I was under the impression that the soldered systems weren't effected.

If I'm wrong let me know.