Wii updates..does it do it automatically?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by newr, Jun 16, 2009.

Jun 16, 2009
  1. newr
    OP

Newcomer newr Advanced Member

Canada
    Just a quick question...does Wii perform automatic updates if it's on standby or do the user have to click ok to install a new update. I have updated to 4.0U.

Thanks

2. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
  3. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    As far as I know you have to click OK to update...
    But it's also possible that big N. changes this - i would disable WiiConnect24 to be sure.

4. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    if they did try to auto update things, they would have to tell you and you would have to agree. if they updated and you didn't know it was happening, you could brick your wii by shutting it off if its updating. this is just a theory of course, you did agree to let them do whatever they want when you hit ok for the eula agreement. turning off wiiconnect24 could prevent this, but you don't know if they is any software on there (although there probably isn't) that communicates to nintendo to update. just my thoughts, none of this may be true, but i'm not concerned, we will always win this war

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The current system menu has no code for Nintendo to do this automatically, so until there's another update which adds code for them to be able to automatically update, you'll need to hit OK. But the terms of service DO now state that they can update automatically without your knowledge/permission, but that wont happen any time soon, as they physically can't do it at the moment. But maybe the next update will have code to allow them to auto-update. But anyway, there's no real need to have WiiConnect24 on, it just wastes power and probably a little bandwidth as well