Wii update and the modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by heyyouguys, Feb 8, 2007.

Feb 8, 2007

Wii update and the modchip by heyyouguys at 1:52 AM (1,412 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. heyyouguys
    OP

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is it safe to update your wii (just got mine hooked up today) and then install a modchip? How does the current updates affect the modchip? I am looking for those who have had their Wii updated and then put a modchip in the wii. I am not looking for speculation from those who have not done this.

If so what modchip did you use?

2. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    Well there are only a couple of people that have installed a Wiinja so far, I'm not one of them.
    The official line from the Wiinja manufacturer is that that particular chip can NOT be detected by the console. This makes perfect sense as it is a modification of the DVD drive only.
    It has been confirmed by others that the Wiinja does work on the latest updated Wii consoles.
    Check the front page for the full review before too long it should have more details.

If you see this as speculation you may want to read up some more about each of the three announced/available modchips. This information is available but unfortunately many people with installed chips are not.

Hope that helps.

3. heyyouguys
    OP

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That is exactly what i have done, tons of reading the last 3-4 days. Just cannot find any definitive on the update. What is gained by updating at this point?

4. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You need to update to write to SD cards... that's about it, I think.
    There are a few minor graphical changes to the Wii menu system, but I barely noticed them.

5. iza

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    the update makes your Wii smell like ass when you put a chip in it.

6. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    Just to let you know I have the 2.1E update and my Wiinja is running fine.

7. geekunit

Newcomer geekunit Newbie

United States
    Just thought I'd add some speculation..

The 'stealth mode' offered in all of these chips means that they're only on when the console is first loading a disc, and then immediately cut off. This should give us some sort of security.

Because each of the chips operates on such a low level--by modding instructions received by the DVD-ROM's chipset--it would be very hard for Nintendo to disable one with a firmware update.