bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Everyone,

So I just bought a refurbished wii u off of ebay. It worked fine last month when I set it up for the first time. Put my Nintendo ID on it, connected to internet, etc.

I traveled to a new home and packed it up. When I unpacked it the gamepad was on (which was weird).

I tried playing it on a different TV, and it said the TV didn't support the resolution (used an HDMI cable). I clicked the option to downscale the resolution and it seemed to work.

Then I went to open system settings and the system just stopped trying to load it after about 20 seconds.

I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It boots up, but any time I try to open an application it will stop trying to load it and just freeze.

I don't know what happened. The seller said he didn't mod it (it was factory reset when I got it) and I actually wanted to see if I could but now I don’t know if it will even work…maybe it’s bricked…but how? It literally worked last month lol.

Can someone help me?

I:

1. Took out the SD card and tried - no fix
2. Unplugged and let it wait for a few mins - no fix
3. Left it plugged in overnight but off - no fix
3. Tried booting directly to the gamepad (no HDMI plugged in) - no fix.
4. Made sure it is in an open area with good ventilation - no fix.
5. Called Nintendo but they weren’t any help lol. I think they were reading off a script…

Anything else I can try? I really want to fix this bad boy.

Thank you so much!

Trophies
XP
I've actually never seen this before. Taking into account that it hasn't been modded if you're physically unable to open any applications I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done.. I have heard tell in the past that fiddling with the video settings can lead to some undesirable effects (e.g crashing, not showing video, etc) but I've never heard of it doing anything to this extent...

If it was working perfectly fine before the move than my first thought would be possible hardware damage during your move. Although I could be wrong, if so feel free to correct me.

Reactions: bam1991dbz

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually never seen this before. Taking into account that it hasn't been modded if you're physically unable to open any applications I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done.. I have heard tell in the past that fiddling with the video settings can lead to some undesirable effects (e.g crashing, not showing video, etc) but I've never heard of it doing anything to this extent...

If it was working perfectly fine before the move than my first thought would be possible hardware damage during your move. Although I could be wrong, if so feel free to correct me.
Thank you so much for responding, seriously. I have no idea why there is so little about this issue out there on the internet! Usually I can self-diagnose and fix things via the internet, but this one has me so distraught.

In sum: this issue is stressing me out times infinity!

Anyways...

Yes I want to assume it isn't modded for the sake of this diagnosis, since it was factory reset when I got it.

To provide more data:

1. I only changed the video settings because it prompted me too. I wish I didn't :( Do you have any info on that subject?

2. So when we were moving I made sure the Wii U was packed well and I actually kept it with me in the car. So I moved it and was pretty loving to the box it was in. However, the Gamepad was on when I opened it up, so maybe that ruined everything?

Does the Gamepad affect the system? I thought it was a controller only? Does it actually contain the "thinking" part of the system too? Could it be the hardware defect or is it likely to be the console itself that is the hardware defect?

Btw I am thinking about bringing it to my local game store and asking them to repair it. I think they might be able to. Do you think I should let them? And if they do repair it what do you think about the longterm outlook of this system?

It might be better for me to buy a different used Wii U right? Or maybe just get this one fixed and stick with it.

Thanks again!

Trophies
XP
Does the Gamepad affect the system?
Not at all, it's just the controller. I can verify as I've disassembled mine more times than I can count. Basically all it has is display and battery, the board itself isn't even that complex. Basically the only other things it has except for display is region checking but that obviously isn't your issue.
since it was factory reset when I got it.
If it was already factory reset when you got it and it worked for months then modding or supposed modding probably was not an issue as if it was CBHC modded it wouldn't have even turned on, any other form would have just been reset (Aside from Tiramisu but that has almost 0% chance to brick you)
I only changed the video settings because it prompted me too. I wish I didn't :( Do you have any info on that subject?
That MAYYY have caused an issue, but I seriously doubt it would cause anything to this degree.. Like I've said the most errors I've ever seen with video settings just caused occasional crashes or no video showing via HDMI or AV etc.. Nothing like hanging processes
So when we were moving I made sure the Wii U was packed well and I actually kept it with me in the car.
Still though something could possibly have gotten damaged during the move. It could also be possible that your console upon getting it was already damaged and just entered it's last stage of life after you got it.. (This is E-Bay we're talking about so anything is possible)
However, the Gamepad was on when I opened it up, so maybe that ruined everything?
Rest assured that would cause no issues.
I thought it was a controller only?
Yes controller only :) although there are region lock procedures in place, but like I said that has nothing to do with your issue.
Does it actually contain the "thinking" part of the system too? Could it be the hardware defect or is it likely to be the console itself that is the hardware defect?
The gamepad most likely has absolutely nothing to do with this issue so dont worry about that aspect. My suspicion is, is that it's the console itself as it handles most if not all processes.
Btw I am thinking about bringing it to my local game store and asking them to repair it.
Definetly go for it because it can't hurt, if it fails you can always get a new one. Wii U's aren't TOOOO expensive.
And if they do repair it what do you think about the longterm outlook of this system?
If it's repaired or you decide to get a new one, it'll last for a LONGG while. I've had my Wii U since launch day, still works like a charm! :D
It might be better for me to buy a different used Wii U right? Or maybe just get this one fixed and stick with it.
Either way is a decent way to go, imo try to see if it can get repaired first as it'll be cheaper than buying a new console. However if repairing leads nowhere you can always get a new one!

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at all, it's just the controller. I can verify as I've disassembled mine more times than I can count. Basically all it has is display and battery, the board itself isn't even that complex. Basically the only other things it has except for display is region checking but that obviously isn't your issue.

If it was already factory reset when you got it and it worked for months then modding or supposed modding probably was not an issue as if it was CBHC modded it wouldn't have even turned on, any other form would have just been reset (Aside from Tiramisu but that has almost 0% chance to brick you)

That MAYYY have caused an issue, but I seriously doubt it would cause anything to this degree.. Like I've said the most errors I've ever seen with video settings just caused occasional crashes or no video showing via HDMI or AV etc.. Nothing like hanging processes

Still though something could possibly have gotten damaged during the move. It could also be possible that your console upon getting it was already damaged and just entered it's last stage of life after you got it.. (This is E-Bay we're talking about so anything is possible)

Rest assured that would cause no issues.

Yes controller only :) although there are region lock procedures in place, but like I said that has nothing to do with your issue.

The gamepad most likely has absolutely nothing to do with this issue so dont worry about that aspect. My suspicion is, is that it's the console itself as it handles most if not all processes.

Definetly go for it because it can't hurt, if it fails you can always get a new one. Wii U's aren't TOOOO expensive.

If it's repaired or you decide to get a new one, it'll last for a LONGG while. I've had my Wii U since launch day, still works like a charm! :D

Either way is a decent way to go, imo try to see if it can get repaired first as it'll be cheaper than buying a new console. However if repairing leads nowhere you can always get a new one!
Thanks so much bro! If anyone else has any input please chime in!

I'll take it there tomorrow and hopefully they can fix it up. I will post an update on the thread for you.

Pray for my wii u!

Last edited by bam1991dbz,

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to be any sort of help, although I feel bad for not having a solid fix for your issue :')

I hope repairs go well!
Just an update. I dropped it off at my local store yesterday. The owner (who is awesome) said it is most likely a hardware issue. He is going to hopefully fix it, but I am still anxious because this is quite a scary process. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will update this thread with what happens so that future people (hopefully) have a fix for this problem in the future.

Trophies
XP
Just an update. I dropped it off at my local store yesterday. The owner (who is awesome) said it is most likely a hardware issue. He is going to hopefully fix it, but I am still anxious because this is quite a scary process. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will update this thread with what happens so that future people (hopefully) have a fix for this problem in the future.
Go to know! I hope your issue gets resolved properly, because it would suck to have to take home a glorified paperweight..

Best of luck to you!

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go to know! I hope your issue gets resolved properly, because it would suck to have to take home a glorified paperweight..

Best of luck to you!
Hey just a reply for you and everyone in the future.

Unfortunately my local game store couldn’t fix it. I called another and they both said it was a problem with the internals specifically the internal memory. I don’t really understand all this stuff but my understanding is that the Wii U doesn’t have a removable internal hard drive and somehow mine was corrupted.

Anyways I am keeping this system even though it is bricked and I already bought a new one that I’ve started using. I won’t lie though I’m insanely paranoid that this one will brick but so far so good!

I do think that something went wrong when I plugged it into my tv using the hdmi cable. It asked me to change the resolution and I think that’s what messed everything up. I read online that the hdmi port could be affecting things but I didn’t have anyone replace it. I do hope someone can find a fix for this. I wonder about the long term health of the Wii U. I still have a bed and snes that works great, but what will happen to my and everyone else’s Wii U’s if the internal memory/hard drive bricks like mine did.

Does anyone know if they’re supposed to last forever and mine was just faulty?

Lastly, maybe the eBay seller I bought from sold me a fraudulent system and lied to me about it being usable. I think that is very likely because he isn’t responding and has no other items for list. It is possible he sold me damaged goods knowlingly.

Hope my story helps at least one other person.

Good luck!

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey just a reply for you and everyone in the future.

Unfortunately my local game store couldn’t fix it. I called another and they both said it was a problem with the internals specifically the internal memory. I don’t really understand all this stuff but my understanding is that the Wii U doesn’t have a removable internal hard drive and somehow mine was corrupted.

Anyways I am keeping this system even though it is bricked and I already bought a new one that I’ve started using. I won’t lie though I’m insanely paranoid that this one will brick but so far so good!

I do think that something went wrong when I plugged it into my tv using the hdmi cable. It asked me to change the resolution and I think that’s what messed everything up. I read online that the hdmi port could be affecting things but I didn’t have anyone replace it. I do hope someone can find a fix for this. I wonder about the long term health of the Wii U. I still have a bed and snes that works great, but what will happen to my and everyone else’s Wii U’s if the internal memory/hard drive bricks like mine did.

Lastly, maybe the eBay seller I bought from sold me a fraudulent system and lied to me about it being usable. I think that is very likely because he isn’t responding and has no other items for list. It is possible he sold me damaged goods knowlingly.

Hope my story helps at least one other person.

Good luck!

Not a fix for your situation, but maybe a suggestion. If the gamepad is fine, try to buy a used wii u without a gamepad. At least here in Germany they go crazy cheap as "just the console" - 40-50€. It might be a way forward :-)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately my local game store couldn’t fix it. I called another and they both said it was a problem with the internals specifically the internal memory.
So NAND issues cause of the old age? There should still be a way to fix this: Replace the NAND. This requires high SMD (de)soldring skills as well as a NAND reader/writer for the specific chip through, so won't be cheap at all.
I do think that something went wrong when I plugged it into my tv using the hdmi cable. It asked me to change the resolution and I think that’s what messed everything up.
I don't think that was the case, neither this:
maybe the eBay seller I bought from sold me a fraudulent system and lied to me about it being usable.
... instead it brobably was just bad luck cause:
NAND aka MLC aka Flash storage won't last forever: They have a limitted number of write cycles. This is a bit simplified but think of some counter. When the chip is brand new this counter is 0. Every time you write to it the counter goes +1. Now when the counter reaches let's say 100000 (just an example) write cycles the chip is defective and the data stored on it slowly starts to corrupt.
This is also why you should store all your games on a external USB drive: Minimising writes to NAND and as such highering the consoles lifetime.

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a fix for your situation, but maybe a suggestion. If the gamepad is fine, try to buy a used wii u without a gamepad. At least here in Germany they go crazy cheap as "just the console" - 40-50€. It might be a way forward :-)
Awesome I already bought one but I will keep the gamepad.

Hey random question but maybe you can help me. I am in America with my GF, but my GF is from Austria and we are visiting this summer. We are going there this year in July and I was planning on bringing my broken Wii U to see if they can repair it.

They still take Wii U repairs according to this: https://www.nintendo.at/Hilfe/Konta...ntakt-1106389.html?redirect=true#/contactform

Do you think you can check with them and see if they will fix my system even though it is the US version? I am having trouble reaching them.

Would be AMAZING of you.

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So NAND issues cause of the old age? There should still be a way to fix this: Replace the NAND. This requires high SMD (de)soldring skills as well as a NAND reader/writer for the specific chip through, so won't be cheap at all.

I don't think that was the case, neither this:

... instead it brobably was just bad luck cause:

NAND aka MLC aka Flash storage won't last forever: They have a limitted number of write cycles. This is a bit simplified but think of some counter. When the chip is brand new this counter is 0. Every time you write to it the counter goes +1. Now when the counter reaches let's say 100000 (just an example) write cycles the chip is defective and the data stored on it slowly starts to corrupt.
This is also why you should store all your games on a external USB drive: Minimising writes to NAND and as such highering the consoles lifetime.
Where do you think I can find a place to replace the NAND? I have no idea what NAND and SMD means lol.

I'm visiting Europe this year, specifically Austria, and I think Nintendo of Austria is still offering repairs (please see my recent reply to someone on this thread). Do you think they can fix my system even though it is the USA Version?

I will buy a hard drive and I will put all my games on it. I've already downloaded two GBA games from the eShop. Can I move those games onto the hard drive from the Wii U when I get it? If I start playing the GBA games while I wait for the hard drive can I move the save data too? Also, what if I start playing a disc game can I move the save for the disc game to the hard drive when I buy it?

Thanks so much!

Trophies
XP
Where do you think I can find a place to replace the NAND? I have no idea what NAND and SMD means lol.

I'm visiting Europe this year, specifically Austria, and I think Nintendo of Austria is still offering repairs (please see my recent reply to someone on this thread). Do you think they can fix my system even though it is the USA Version?

I will buy a hard drive and I will put all my games on it. I've already downloaded two GBA games from the eShop. Can I move those games onto the hard drive from the Wii U when I get it? If I start playing the GBA games while I wait for the hard drive can I move the save data too? Also, what if I start playing a disc game can I move the save for the disc game to the hard drive when I buy it?

Thanks so much!
NAND basically refers to the entirety of System Memory, NAND in short holds 2 parts, MLC and SLC. MLC holds data like installed games and SLC holds the System OS and error messages, key files, etc.. So if NAND was the issue it'd basically be like the equivalent of re-flashing an OS, However I do know that data loss can be circumvented by dumping NAND / OTP and flashing it to a new board. However like V10lator stated above this is not cheap, nor is it easy.

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't really get it... Why should I be able to reach them if you aren't? I'm also not living in Austria...

Maybe you could call the German or Austrian Nintendo companies for me and ask them if they will repair North American consoles? I can't reach them because I don't have a compatible SIM card lol.

I just don't know if they'll work on American based consoles and it would help ME SO MUCH if you can call them for me :)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you think they can fix my system even though it is the USA Version?
Of course they could... But they won't.

//EDIT:
Maybe you could call the German or Austrian Nintendo companies for me and ask them if they will repair North American consoles? I can't reach them because I don't have a compatible SIM card lol.
What? Germany has no more support so calling there will be useless and why should we waste our money for that call when you have these kind of calls blocked in your SIM card cause they are so expensive?!? Ask your girlfriend which lives there maybe? Or maybe just write an E-Mail to Nintendo?

BTW: I just looked onto Nintendo austrias website: Switch and 3DS support only... Or where exactly do you see the wording "Wii U" at the link you gave above?

Last edited by V10lator,

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they could... But they won't.

//EDIT:

What? Germany has no more support so calling there will be useless and why should we waste our money for that call when you have these kind of calls blocked in your SIM card cause they are so expensive?!? Ask your girlfriend which lives there maybe? Or maybe just write an E-Mail to Nintendo?

BTW: I just looked onto Nintendo austrias website: Switch and 3DS support only... Or where exactly do you see the wording "Wii U" at the link you gave above?

Hey man I think you misunderstood me.

My gf lives in America with me she is from Austria. We are surprising her family with a trip and that's why I can't ask them to call.

In America, calling Mexico and Canada can be free for your cell phone plans. Also, my minutes are unlimited. So I assumed that was the case for people in Europe too.

I sincerely apologize for my mistake of assuming it would be free. Also, domestic minutes (in USA) are usually free if you have a plan (or I should say included in your monthly fee).

Regardless it wasn't even a payment issue for me I just don't have a sim available, and quite frankly I don't know where to begin with that process. I should've researched more before asking. Maybe it would've been easy for me to do myself.

I figured the community would be willing to help me out, just like I updated my post with details after I took it to my repair store. I would be willing to make a call to NOA for our community members, so that is why I assumed someone would do the same for me. I really love Nintendo and the fandom lol.

Anyways, If you navigate the link I sent you can find Wii U repair price here: https://www.nintendo.at/Hilfe/Wii-U/Reparatur/Reparaturpreisliste/Reparaturpreisliste-860026.html

Luckily, they have chat support so I will try using that in order to see if they will repair a USA Wii U and have my gf translate.

I hope my post puts you (and anyone) at ease.

Thank you.

Reactions: Pin1988

bam1991dbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NAND basically refers to the entirety of System Memory, NAND in short holds 2 parts, MLC and SLC. MLC holds data like installed games and SLC holds the System OS and error messages, key files, etc.. So if NAND was the issue it'd basically be like the equivalent of re-flashing an OS, However I do know that data loss can be circumvented by dumping NAND / OTP and flashing it to a new board. However like V10lator stated above this is not cheap, nor is it easy.
Thanks for your post, this is completely beyond my tech level though lol.

How much do you think this repair would cost and do you think you could direct me to someone I can hire to do this? Thank you.

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyways, If you navigate the link I sent you can find Wii U repair price here: https://www.nintendo.at/Hilfe/Wii-U/Reparatur/Reparaturpreisliste/Reparaturpreisliste-860026.html

Luckily, they have chat support so I will try using that in order to see if they will repair a USA Wii U and have my gf translate.

I hope my post puts you (and anyone) at ease.
Myself I wasn't at unease ;-) and V10lator is often posting stuff that sounds like he's angry, I guess, so I don't think he always is :-P just his way I guess :-D

Okay, the phone thing is a valid point and the surprise thing too. Of course you could also contact them when you're here! But repairs take quite some time (while national shipping here doesn't!) so you'd need to be here some time.

But most importantly. They list 60-180$ for WiiU repairs, that can't really be worth it... As stated, used consoles without gamepads are about 50€ here, full sets go for about 120€. Second option would leave you with a gamepad you could sell ;-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night