Wii U will be 50% less successful than the wii.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
e3-2011-david-jaffe-interview.jpg

Outspoken game designer David Jaffe doesn't think that Nintendo is going to be able to match the success it had with the Wii. He thinks that the "perfect storm" that allowed Nintendo to claim the number one spot in this console generation has passed, and the Wii U will only do around half as well.

Jaffe felt that a significant portion of the Wii's install base had purchased it as something other than a gamer device. Moreover, he didn't think that Nintendo had been able to convert enough of these people into gamers to make them go out and buy a new console. He said that the current craze was for devices like Apple's iPad and iPhone, and that the people who traditionally might have been interested in Nintendo's products beyond core gamers were now getting their gaming fix elsewhere. [/p]
More in the sources below.

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Source

May be true, but not by half nor his reasons. I think the price is what really going to determining it success.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree that the price will likely lessen the Wii U's success. I'm not sure that it will be 50% less successful though, as I think the Wii only took off in most households around 2008 time... Well that's when all my relatives got it and the Wii got shot into the casual fitness market.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
:..Current craze was iPad.."

Oooooh guess what, WiiU can be a tablet too.
laugh.gif

but yeah I think price is gonna determine it's success. We better not show enthusiasm cause that's what happened with the 3DS.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Crimsonclaw111 said:
If Nintendo is even half as successful as they've been with the Wii, they'd still be printing money.
They managed to make money during the lean Gamecube years, but that was on the back of the GBA and DS kicking ass. Their current portable may not be the savior this time.

I'm not counting Nintendo out though . . .

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
The Wii was too successful and this one is going to suffer from price and misunderstandings. People will think it's just a controller for the Wii or just another version of the system, as happens with the 3DS.

The lack of success of the Wii U will be due to marketing errors more than due to phones with games.

Also, I don't see a guy's opinion as news. Much less this guy's.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
At the time of its announcement, the Wii was a completely innovated and well-executed concept which in turn led to its huge success.

The WiiU... yeah they've made some hardware improvements and have this whole "controller" thing, but with it not being a "omg gotta get that" to most people and the price of it, seems fair that it definitely wouldn't be as successful as the Wii.

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Raiser said:
At the time of its announcement, the Wii was a completely innovated and well-executed concept which in turn led to its huge success.
Yeah but it didn't sell like crazy until Wii fit.

Z

Zorua

I totally agree. The Wii was all about innovation. The motion sensing was the selling point. The WiiU on the other hand is shit. This comes straight from a Nintendo fanboy, mind you. The extra large controller is nothing to droll over so it's kinda like an overclocked Xbox/PS3. So yeah, it's going to fail big time.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
I totally agree. The Wii was all about innovation. The motion sensing was the selling point. The WiiU on the other hand is shit. This comes straight from a Nintendo fanboy, mind you. The extra large controller is nothing to droll over so it's kinda like an overclocked Xbox/PS3. So yeah, it's going to fail big time.
Al tho I didn't think anything wrong with the controller, you can use the old controllers and what I got from reports is wii U is underclocked ,yet it bypass or is at less at the level PS3/xbox.

Ssx9

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
TBH, It makes sense.

I don't think people is much excited with the WiiU as they were with Revolution.

Will it be successful? Yes.

Will it print money? Yes.

Will nintendo own the other companies like they did with the Wii and DS? No.

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't want wii at launch, it looked freaking stupid. But this WiiU looks AMAZING and i'm dying to get my hands on it.

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to buy it on the second day of release, because I didn't want to end up with equivalent of D3-2 chip (no bluray backup playing) . So it will cost ~$150 after a few month of its release, sweet about the same as 2TB USB drive!

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I still think it can succeed price high or not, everyone knows with advancing technology everything will rise in price, it's just the way of life, in future there will be consoles worth $900 or even higher but gamers will still buy.

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Zorua said:

Yep, I agree too. The Wii U is basically a current gen console with a somewhat enhanced controller. It's not built on a completely new concept the same way that Wii was, just the thought of what you could do with that motion sensing was enough to make me think "this is gonna be awesome". The fact that most games weren't all that well executed after all is another question. It was the possibilities, not what really was done, that sold in the Wii to me at least.

If the Wii U had been released like 5 years ago, it would have been a very strong competitor to PS3 and Xbox360 as it's about as powerful, but in a few years when Sony and MS releases their next gen consoles, the Wii U is probably gonna be thought of as a last gen console. Since it has nothing really new and smart, it's the muscles that's gonna be compared.

By the way, a PS3 should be able to do exactly the same things as the Wii U once the NGP is released. It's just a question of a system software update. Sure, a NGP will be more expensive than a Wii U controller, but afaik they're aiming a somewhat decent price figures, and you do a lot more than you'll be able to do with a Wii U controller with it.

Oh well, only time will tell. We'll see what happens I guess. It's still interesting to speculate though
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end