Wii U will be 50% less successful than the wii.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's like saying "The next iPhone will be 50% less popular since Android phones are cheaper"

There's just no proof... Seeing as Nintendo has enough hardcore fanboys to keep the money rolling in!

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Why does everybody think price when they here "less successful?" The guy doesn't specifically mention the price as a reason of less success.

The idea is, that the Wii U doesn't contain all the innovative ideas that were held by the Wii. They have effectively stepped back into sit on a couch and play for their systems. The Wii met the most success with its (kinda crappy and not overly effective) health games. The Wii introduced incredible innovations into the field of motion gaming for the consumer, something that hadn't been seen before.

The Wii U is nothing but a more powerful PS3 with a tablet at this point. Not exactly something that every person will run off to buy. The more casual gamers may even be intimidated by the controller, unsure of why so much is on there after using the Wii controller for so long (and lets face it, the Wii controller will not be ideal for Wii U games). It is a really odd move on part of Nintendo. Nintendo is trying to get the jump on the next generation, though it may ultimately screw them over.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crimsonclaw111 said:
Successful or not, at least Nintendo will stick around. It would require a Sega-sized failure rate to take them out completely.
Dreamcast's controller had a screen.
Nintendo's new controller has a screen.

CONSPIRACY. Sorry, just had to.
tongue.gif

Anyways, I think that we need to wait and see what the competition will bring. If the 720 and PS4 are just overpowered PS360s, then Nintendo will probably still succeed. However, if they bring their own innovation, Nintendo is kind of screwed.

mrp73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2 things about this thread that confuse me. First are the people that are commenting that it is nothing more than a slightly more powerful PS3 with a tablet and that the PS3 will be able to do that once the Vita comes out. Are we forgetting that Nintendo has some exclusives that we will ONLY ever see on a Nintendo platform. We already know that a system is only as good as the games on it and with Miyamoto on the Nintendo team that is a HUGE plus.

Now the 2nd thing I don't understand is people saying the Wii was only successful after such and such came out or after 2008 or after this or that. I have a very clear memory of the Wii being sold out as soon as stock arrived from day 1 until well after the 2nd Christmas it was around. That means November 2006 - about March 2008 was sold out. Only after that stock started to remain on shelves and not get scooped up with people waiting in line for stores to open. That to me is the LONGEST in demand "must have" item I have EVER seen.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ikki said:
The Wii was too successful and this one is going to suffer from price and misunderstandings. People will think it's just a controller for the Wii or just another version of the system, as happens with the 3DS.

The lack of success of the Wii U will be due to marketing errors more than due to phones with games.

Also, I don't see a guy's opinion as news. Much less this guy's.

What's wrong with this guy? :/

Anyways, I agree with your post. Nintendo has been iffy in the marketing lately. Look at the 3DS. They bombed with advertising that as a next gen handheld. And now they're doing the same thing with the WiiU? Ugh...

I can see Jaffe being right, but with all of his games being made for Sony platforms except for one, it's kind of hard to take him seriously.

QUOTEDreamcast's controller had a screen.

No it didn't, that was the VMU. Which was basically just a memory card. Comparing the Dreamcast controller to the WiiU controller is idiotic as they are two very different things.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be successful, but they should change the name. Making it ride the Wii's coattails makes it sound like a derivative device, like the DSi. New generation hardware should have new name.

Edit: and IMHO this, partly, is why the 3DS hasn't been selling as well as they'd hoped.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
mrp73 said:
2 things about this thread that confuse me. First are the people that are commenting that it is nothing more than a slightly more powerful PS3 with a tablet and that the PS3 will be able to do that once the Vita comes out. Are we forgetting that Nintendo has some exclusives that we will ONLY ever see on a Nintendo platform. We already know that a system is only as good as the games on it and with Miyamoto on the Nintendo team that is a HUGE plus.

Now the 2nd thing I don't understand is people saying the Wii was only successful after such and such came out or after 2008 or after this or that. I have a very clear memory of the Wii being sold out as soon as stock arrived from day 1 until well after the 2nd Christmas it was around. That means November 2006 - about March 2008 was sold out. Only after that stock started to remain on shelves and not get scooped up with people waiting in line for stores to open. That to me is the LONGEST in demand "must have" item I have EVER seen.

The stock was incredibly low. Nintendo hadn't produced nearly enough units to meet very many of the pre-orders. Most of that demand was people still collecting their pre-order, then the people who were waiting for a year or so to buy it combined. It wasn't so much highly in demand as much as it was Nintendo just kind of dropping the ball on the numbers.

mrp73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By the end of March 2008 sales were 18.61 million units. I would hardly call that low production. BUT I do agree with you that they couldn't keep up with all the orders so in reality that supports my statement that the Wii was a runaway success from day 1 and that there was no particular time when the Wii "found it's groove" as some are hinting at. If they could have filled all their preorders their numbers may even be higher as I'm sure some people just decided to move on and purchase something else.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Of course it's not going to do as well as the Wii...

But it's funny saying people where excited about the Wii's innovations before release, if I remember rightly everyone was saying how bloody stupid the wiimotes where, and that the console would be the final death throe of the company. I was definitely on the "it's a stupid gimmick" side of the fence, and expected the classic controller to be the most used one, until I actually got my hands on one of the things. It wasn't the motion controls that impressed me though, it was how natural just pointing at stuff was. I really think that was the Wii's biggest innovation and it was that good and works so well everyone just doesn't notice it.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Looking at figures of previous generations and determining success after that is something I find quite odd. If you think about a good success for a console, the first thing that comes to mind is the EU/US markets. But lets go a bit further into the future, say 5 to 10 years, the EU/US markets will probably be big, but consider markets like India and China. When the middle class (which I figure could afford buying a console) gets bigger and bigger, the sales number may skyrocket regardless of the console in question. Look at the mobile phones and their market. Once people get money and/or prices are right, the sales will make profit regardless of price since quantity is huge.

Lets just hope that Nintendo makes a VC for the WiiU from the start and I'll be possibly be queuing to get one. The Wii didn't do it from the beginning, but it was one of the reasons I ended up getting one even though I had a PS3..

-Qtis

D

Deleted-188346

KingVamp said:
e3-2011-david-jaffe-interview.jpg

Outspoken game designer David Jaffe doesn't think that Nintendo is going to be able to match the success it had with the Wii. He thinks that the "perfect storm" that allowed Nintendo to claim the number one spot in this console generation has passed, and the Wii U will only do around half as well.

Jaffe felt that a significant portion of the Wii's install base had purchased it as something other than a gamer device. Moreover, he didn't think that Nintendo had been able to convert enough of these people into gamers to make them go out and buy a new console. He said that the current craze was for devices like Apple's iPad and iPhone, and that the people who traditionally might have been interested in Nintendo's products beyond core gamers were now getting their gaming fix elsewhere. [/p]
David Jaffe is an idiot.
Did he ever think that perhaps that there will always be a large consumer sector that consists of nothing but mothers wanting to buy video games for their children?
Not to say that mothers are 100% responsible for the Wii's success, infact I'd say that the Wii would still be doing better than xBox and PS3 regardless of the mothers. (arguably)
I say that because the Wii did so astronomically well, that you'd been nieve to think that 2% of the Wii's success was from actual gamers.

I firmly believe that that sector, however, will return to the Wii-U, rather than go to xBox or PS3.

Also, nobody believed that the Wii was anything but a gaming console.

And finally, the iPad/iPhone craze is a fad. It will pass. Apple have been riding a wave of hype and marketing for awhile now, but it will soon pass. Nobody considers the iPhone/iPad to be a dedicated gaming console anyway.
Nintendo, however, having been riding a wave of quality.
happy.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cwstjdenobs said:
Of course it's not going to do as well as the Wii...

But it's funny saying people where excited about the Wii's innovations before release, if I remember rightly everyone was saying how bloody stupid the wiimotes where, and that the console would be the final death throe of the company. I was definitely on the "it's a stupid gimmick" side of the fence, and expected the classic controller to be the most used one, until I actually got my hands on one of the things. It wasn't the motion controls that impressed me though, it was how natural just pointing at stuff was. I really think that was the Wii's biggest innovation and it was that good and works so well everyone just doesn't notice it.

Uh before release, here in Canada, EVERYBODY wanted it. It was as if the Gameboy was just released all over again.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Yes, a bunch of the people who bought the WiiU are mothers and grandmas and fat, lazy dads who use it for exercise. However, most of them will probably stick with their Wiis. Why? Most of them will probably think "Nah, the Wii is fine, why should I pay extra for a randomly gigantic controller with a screen when I can play my Wii perfectly?"

I can see this selling not so well. How many mothers are actually willing to buy gigantic, tablet controllers just so their 7 year olds can play Mario? Not many I'd bet.

D

Deleted-188346

KingdomBlade said:
Yes, a bunch of the people who bought the WiiU are mothers and grandmas and fat, lazy dads who use it for exercise. However, most of them will probably stick with their Wiis. Why? Most of them will probably think "Nah, the Wii is fine, why should I pay extra for a randomly gigantic controller with a screen when I can play my Wii perfectly?"
There's something to be said for people buying a new product simply because...it's the new product.
Why do people keep buying the next revision of the iPhone each year, even if they have the previous one?
Just because it's new.

QUOTE(KingdomBlade @ Jun 26 2011, 02:50 AM) I can see this selling not so well. How many mothers are actually willing to buy expensive Wiimotes just so their 7 year olds can play Mario? Not many I'd bet.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:
KingdomBlade said:
There's something to be said for people buying a new product simply because...it's the new product.
Why do people keep buying the next revision of the iPhone each year, even if they have the previous one?
Just because it's new.

QUOTE(KingdomBlade @ Jun 26 2011, 02:50 AM) I can see this selling not so well. How many mothers are actually willing to buy expensive Wiimotes just so their 7 year olds can play Mario? Not many I'd bet.
There's a difference here. The Wii was basically established as casual, has more pick-up-and-play games and much cheaper than its rivals. However, the WiiU is a heavier, more expensive gaming machine that may very well seem to many like a Wii with a screen on a controller and better graphics. Thus, I severely doubt that many mothers will buy this for their children.

In fact, I've seen many people with a Wii who only have Wii Sports, Wii Play, and a few simplistic casual games. Those kinds of people will not find much use with the WiiU. We have here something much more expensive and less practical than the Wii.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I see many people too. They have the first party games, mad world,no more heroes,red steel
and etc.

Just hope we don't have to pay $50-60 for Wii U games.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Well I see many people too. They have the first party games, mad world,no more heroes,red steel
and etc.

Just hope we don't have to pay $50-60 for Wii U games.
WiiU games have been listed in some places for 40-50 dollars. Not bad, considering that's 10 bucks cheaper than the current competition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16