Wii U will be 50% less successful than the wii.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by KingVamp, Jun 24, 2011.

Jun 24, 2011
  1. KingVamp
    OP

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    [​IMG]

Outspoken game designer David Jaffe doesn't think that Nintendo is going to be able to match the success it had with the Wii. He thinks that the "perfect storm" that allowed Nintendo to claim the number one spot in this console generation has passed, and the Wii U will only do around half as well.

Jaffe felt that a significant portion of the Wii's install base had purchased it as something other than a gamer device. Moreover, he didn't think that Nintendo had been able to convert enough of these people into gamers to make them go out and buy a new console. He said that the current craze was for devices like Apple's iPad and iPhone, and that the people who traditionally might have been interested in Nintendo's products beyond core gamers were now getting their gaming fix elsewhere. [/p]
    More in the sources below.

[​IMG]Source
    [​IMG]Source

May be true, but not by half nor his reasons. I think the price is what really going to determining it success.

2. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I agree that the price will likely lessen the Wii U's success. I'm not sure that it will be 50% less successful though, as I think the Wii only took off in most households around 2008 time... Well that's when all my relatives got it and the Wii got shot into the casual fitness market.

3. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If Nintendo is even half as successful as they've been with the Wii, they'd still be printing money.

4. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Fair assessment, it is difficult to match a huge success.

5. Tai Le Ree

Newcomer Tai Le Ree Advanced Member

United States
  6. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    :..Current craze was iPad.."

Oooooh guess what, WiiU can be a tablet too. [​IMG]

but yeah I think price is gonna determine it's success. We better not show enthusiasm cause that's what happened with the 3DS.

7. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    They managed to make money during the lean Gamecube years, but that was on the back of the GBA and DS kicking ass. Their current portable may not be the savior this time.

I'm not counting Nintendo out though . . .

8. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    The Wii was too successful and this one is going to suffer from price and misunderstandings. People will think it's just a controller for the Wii or just another version of the system, as happens with the 3DS.

The lack of success of the Wii U will be due to marketing errors more than due to phones with games.

Also, I don't see a guy's opinion as news. Much less this guy's.

9. Red_Gh0st

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nonsense, I think it'll be as succesful as the Wii. After all, its Nintendo lol

10. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    At the time of its announcement, the Wii was a completely innovated and well-executed concept which in turn led to its huge success.

The WiiU... yeah they've made some hardware improvements and have this whole "controller" thing, but with it not being a "omg gotta get that" to most people and the price of it, seems fair that it definitely wouldn't be as successful as the Wii.

11. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Yeah but it didn't sell like crazy until Wii fit.

12. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    That's a fairly precise percentage!

13. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

I totally agree. The Wii was all about innovation. The motion sensing was the selling point. The WiiU on the other hand is shit. This comes straight from a Nintendo fanboy, mind you. The extra large controller is nothing to droll over so it's kinda like an overclocked Xbox/PS3. So yeah, it's going to fail big time.

14. KingVamp
    OP

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Al tho I didn't think anything wrong with the controller, you can use the old controllers and what I got from reports is wii U is underclocked ,yet it bypass or is at less at the level PS3/xbox.

15. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    I have no reason to be against/for the WiiU until I'm actually playing it. Thank you for your time.

16. Ssx9

Member Ssx9 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    TBH, It makes sense.

I don't think people is much excited with the WiiU as they were with Revolution.

Will it be successful? Yes.

Will it print money? Yes.

Will nintendo own the other companies like they did with the Wii and DS? No.

17. MadClaw

Member MadClaw GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I didn't want wii at launch, it looked freaking stupid. But this WiiU looks AMAZING and i'm dying to get my hands on it.

18. nunavat2010

Member nunavat2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was going to buy it on the second day of release, because I didn't want to end up with equivalent of D3-2 chip (no bluray backup playing) . So it will cost ~$150 after a few month of its release, sweet about the same as 2TB USB drive!

19. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    I still think it can succeed price high or not, everyone knows with advancing technology everything will rise in price, it's just the way of life, in future there will be consoles worth $900 or even higher but gamers will still buy.

20. kaputnik

Member kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sweden

Yep, I agree too. The Wii U is basically a current gen console with a somewhat enhanced controller. It's not built on a completely new concept the same way that Wii was, just the thought of what you could do with that motion sensing was enough to make me think "this is gonna be awesome". The fact that most games weren't all that well executed after all is another question. It was the possibilities, not what really was done, that sold in the Wii to me at least.

If the Wii U had been released like 5 years ago, it would have been a very strong competitor to PS3 and Xbox360 as it's about as powerful, but in a few years when Sony and MS releases their next gen consoles, the Wii U is probably gonna be thought of as a last gen console. Since it has nothing really new and smart, it's the muscles that's gonna be compared.

By the way, a PS3 should be able to do exactly the same things as the Wii U once the NGP is released. It's just a question of a system software update. Sure, a NGP will be more expensive than a Wii U controller, but afaik they're aiming a somewhat decent price figures, and you do a lot more than you'll be able to do with a Wii U controller with it.

Oh well, only time will tell. We'll see what happens I guess. It's still interesting to speculate though [​IMG]