1. RetroP

OP RetroP Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I purchased a Wii U and modded it. At first I thought a Samsung memory card 256 gb would be more than enough space. Now I’m noticing I’m almost filled up to capacity. Assuming I decide to purchase a 1 tb hdd card, do I need to reinstall Haxchi, wup installer all over again? Or am I stuck using the memory card I have?

I look forward to your advise.

jeannotte likes this.
  2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Hello,

if Haxchi and Wup installer are installed on your console, no need to reinstall them.

Otherwise if you don't have haxchi or wup installed, then follow this guide ==>https://wiiu.hacks.guide/fr_FR/

RetroP and alexander1970 like this.
  3. RetroP

OP RetroP Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Wup installer and Haxchi are installed on my usb drive correct or are they installed on my usb drive?

just trying to figure out if I put a hdd drive in my Wii U and I have the wiiu format the drive, how will all of the mod files and folders get on the new hdd. I realize that I would have to reinstall all the games on the new hdd.

jeannotte likes this.
  4. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Maniac

France
    To find out where your games are placed on the usb support, go to the Wii settings u ==> (data management)

do a disk to disk transfer on the wii U, I don't know if it will work, I never did it.

You can try to transfer with one game and see the result

maybe you will have to reinstall Haxchi, to see

RetroP and Lostbhoy like this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Those are the same thing. And no, they aren't on your USB drive, they're on the SD card.
    What are you using all that space for? Wii/GC games and ROMs for emulators? Think 512 GB should be more than enough for that. 1TB cards are way overpriced.

H1B1Esquire, jeannotte and Lostbhoy like this.
  6. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy GBAtemp Regular

As jeannotte said, a disk to disk transfer from the wii u settings with your sd card and new hdd inserted at the same time will move it all across in theory! (I'm currently in a similar predicament with powered external hdds but haven't tried yet!)

And as The Real Jdbye says, 1tb too much space. Remember the wii u is limited to only having 300 titles on the menu i believe.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    RetroP and jeannotte like this.
  7. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Maniac

France
    yes, 300 titles

anyway, we never play multiple games at the same time, right? :rofl2::ha:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Lostbhoy and RetroP like this.
  8. RetroP

OP RetroP Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I
    All my games are on the usb drive; however so are all the different folders. I’m thinking I will have to re install homebrew channel and everything else since it is saved on the usb drive.

jeannotte likes this.
  9. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy GBAtemp Regular

You could move them to your nand. That's where I have my HB channel so I would never lose it.

10. RetroP

OP RetroP Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    How do you that?

11. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

United States
    Check out the guide from Kafluke

Personally, what I used to do: run a y-cable'd HDD in the back ports, run a 128gb MSD (adapter) in the front, file transfers (as in, you can move saves and games from one area (MSD) to another (HDD)) and wait.

Honestly, don't use memory cards--they'll get corrupted by big games or games that write a lot. Write and read speeds have a noticeable effect, i.e., Bayo 2 on a card will stutter occasionally, but BotW will eventually become corrupted.

I'd save the memory card for other things like retro stuff, as that isn't as demanding as Wii U stuff.

Data management in the settings.
    Heads-up: if you're moving games, always move/copy the game before the save or else you'll have a bad time.

I also think there's a way around the 300 title limit, but I can't remember exactly.

As for Haxchii, keep the hax game on the NAND, with the files on the SD.

Yes. It'll be fine if you transfer stuff over and keep the MSD for transfer installs--don't forget about splitting your files if you want bigger games.

Lostbhoy, jeannotte and RetroP like this.
  12. RetroP

OP RetroP Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I totally forgot.. all of the files are on the as card. The only thing on the hd card are games. I think I should be able to transfer them using both usb drive and hdd.

last question: what hdd drive do you guys recommend?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You guys are totally helpful. Thank you

Lostbhoy, jeannotte and H1B1Esquire like this.
  13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    yes, 300+ games is possible with system config tool, but you'll still be nagged about it on the home screen.

14. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

United States
    Depends on your needs.
    I got one (320gb) from ebay for $30.00 with a y-cable and case. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst.

This is $40.00 with free shipping,. which is like $30.00 +$10.00 shipping.
    Not sure of speeds, but do some searching for your needs/wants.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-v6...368262?hash=item42108ab8c6:g:6WYAAOSwHX9d6sQe

jeannotte and RetroP like this.
  15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    the laptop wd elements is what I use. it's a 2TB drive with about 260 games occupying about 1.3TBs. I wrote down what I have just in case my drive fails. the only game I have on the internal flash is the cbhc title. I think it might be recommended for it to be alone there.

Lostbhoy and RetroP like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - running, space,