Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

koenergy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since USB Helper is now discontinued, what's a good alternative in getting games / DLCs / updates? Will it have the same procedure as USB Helper?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's a pinned thread with a full list of application.
USBHelper was the last created app, all the previously available application are usable and working.

here

Look at the "NUS Downloaders" section.

JNUSTool is great, works with both game updates and data.
(updates set by default)

Last edited by Cyan,

KhenemetHeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably a noobish question, but it came up in discussion and I didn't find an answer for it here or anywhere else; if I have two Wii U formatted HDDs with different games on each, if I swap them under Mocha, will it mess up my home menu (not just the titles but the organization) or will it only show the games on the drive that is plugged in at the time? So say I have BOTW and New Super Mario Bros U on one HDD, and I have Yoshi's Wooly World, Smash Bros U, and Hyrule Warriors on the other, what will happen if I unplug and switch between the two? All my homebrew/haxchi/mocha crucial apps etc. is on nand.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if I have two Wii U formatted HDDs with different games on each, if I swap them under Mocha, will it mess up my home menu (not just the titles but the organization)
Each user only has one menu 'organization'. If you boot the menu without a game being present, it will be removed from the folder/position. When it is present again, it will fill in the first available space.

You can make an additional user for the second drive, and only use that user when you use that drive, but you'll probably forget to switch sometimes, and moving your existing saves to the second user is a bit of a pain.

I'm not sure what you mean by swapping under Mocha, as far as this limitation goes. Unless you use one drive on NAND, and the other with the same ID on RedNAND in Mocha (which is like two different IDs) then you'll have the same one-menu restriction.

Reactions: KhenemetHeru

KhenemetHeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Each user only has one menu 'organization'. If you boot the menu without a game being present, it will be removed from the folder/position. When it is present again, it will fill in the first available space.

You can make an additional user for the second drive, and only use that user when you use that drive, but you'll probably forget to switch sometimes, and moving your existing saves to the second user is a bit of a pain.

I'm not sure what you mean by swapping under Mocha, as far as this limitation goes. Unless you use one drive on NAND, and the other with the same ID on RedNAND in Mocha (which is like two different IDs) then you'll have the same one-menu restriction.

That's what I was afraid of. With that limitation a second drive won't do me any good, as every time I switch drives (using two drives as the same user) the menu will get disorganized again. And doing one user per drive in my house would result in 6 users, 3 for each drive... Yeah, that'll get messed up fast.

It's too bad a USB Loader GX type app was never made for the Wii U. The existing menu structures suck mightily... Thanks for the explanation, I wanted to be sure before I did anything.

Reactions: nexusmtz

butfluffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@nexusmtz - i was also planning on using a 2 ex usb drive setup for my wii-u which which i recently hacked.
there is perhaps some misinformation about this possible 2 ex usb limit workaround on the net and i have struggled to find a definitive answer.
i read that the limit is for icons displayed and not for installed tickets so the swaping usb drives solution sounded like it may work.
right now i have around 200 legit games installed on a external usb drive and the games are in stored in folders named 1 - 5. if i remove my usb drive then the folders are still there but with no games inside. when i reconnect the drive the games show up again in the folders where i stored them.
if i use a second usb drive and install games and store them in new created folders 6 - 10 for example would i still get menu issues?
i'm not planning on doing this on a multiple user setup and i was hoping that when usb drive one was plugged in the legit games in folders 1 - 5 would be there. and when usb drive two was plugged in the games in folders 6 - 10 would be there.
maybe i have read some misinformation and i'm missing something more technical as to why this method would not work and it's better to find out before trying anything.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i reconnect the drive the games show up again in the folders where i stored them.
This is different from what I saw in my testing. You may find that you lose the positioning/sorting if anything changes, which would be the case in the scenario you described. I'd test with a few folders with a couple icons each before I did any major reorganizing. It won't hurt the games themselves, just the sorting. But it still won't get you around the 300 limit.

butfluffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is different from what I saw in my testing. You may find that you lose the positioning/sorting if anything changes, which would be the case in the scenario you described. I'd test with a few folders with a couple icons each before I did any major reorganizing. It won't hurt the games themselves, just the sorting. But it still won't get you around the 300 limit.

the only testing i done was placing my games alphabetically inside folders named games 1 - 5 on the first page of my wii u menu.
i have unplugged the drive many times and purchased new games which were not available on title keys site and integrated them into the existing folders. note i did not purchase any new games and install to my internal drive. i installed to the external usb drive and added them to the folders and manually reorganized them alphabetically. when i powered down and rebooted with no usb i still get five empty folders. when i reconnect the usb the games appear in the five folders exactly how i last reorganized them.
as for the 300 limit. from what your saying it sounds like the wii u still reaches the 300 icon limit even when only one external usb drive is connected which does not exceed the limit. kinda like the wiiu knows that there is more than 300 titles installed thus exceeding the limit even though less than 300 icons is displayed at any time. if this is the case then the limit id more complex than just the wiiu menu being unable to display more than 300 icons at a time.
it's a shame because i thought some of the misinformation regarding the 2 usb drive workaround seemed believable.
the 3ds also has this icon limit but you can install more than 300 title to the system and launch any games from fbi even though the icon has been removed from the 3ds menu. i figured the wiiu may operate the same.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but you can install more than 300 title to the system and launch any games from fbi
There are 300 slots in the menu, and each user has a menu. Sure, you can have more than 300 games installed, and you can launch any title that you want with one of Nintendo's developer tools. The Wii U will just tell you that it can't show all the games.
from what your saying it sounds like the wii u still reaches the 300 icon limit even when only one external usb drive is connected which does not exceed the limit. kinda like the wiiu knows that there is more than 300 titles installed thus exceeding the limit even though less than 300 icons is displayed at any time.
I don't see a way that the menu title can track more than 300 (under a single user), whether it tries to remember non-present titles or not. Once you're over 300, the menu will have to forget where the non-present ones are in order to show you the present ones.

Reactions: KhenemetHeru

butfluffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok. thanks for the explanation. i guess i have two options.
1. buy a second console and hack it so i can install all eshop titles i don't already own on it.
2. use the 90 or so slots i have on my wiiu to install and uninstall games with wupinstaller as and when i want to play them and keep the downloaded games backed up on pc.

option 2 is not so bad. this is pretty much what i do with my 3ds and cia files. it's also what i done with wiiware titles on the wii in the old days due to limited wii internal memory space for wiiware installation.

Arnold101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a pinned thread with a full list of application.
USBHelper was the last created app, all the previously available application are usable and working.

here

Look at the "NUS Downloaders" section.

JNUSTool is great, works with both game updates and data.
(updates set by default)
hi can you suggest a program like wiiusb helper with a GUI? thanks

why the f they have blocked the app??? even the one i already have is blocked!!!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
JNUSTool has a gui.
but, like all other tools, it's not decrypting to verify the download.

only WiiU USB Helper did it, and you can be sure your game is full and not corrupted.
USBHelper silently redownloaded corrupted download' parts.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Arnold101

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.