Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by BurningDesire, Oct 20, 2016.

1. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Definitely get an external hdd. The usb stick might work for awhile then just stop working, I would say 1 year (that's what happened to me) while an external hdd can last for no telling how long 10-20 years or more.

But you'll need one that plugs into the wall or a y cable that allows the hdd to plug into both ports. The Wii U ports don't provide enough power otherwise.

Last edited Dec 29, 2018
  2. Ron_Harrison

Ron_Harrison Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2017
    United States
    Edit: Didn’t see JustinCredible had made a similar reply since I commented before refreshing the page, which had been open since yesterday. Sorry

An external HDD/SSD is optimal, a flash drive may work temporarily but it will wear down pretty fast as they’re not meant to be constantly read or written from so this is kinda expected. If you’re wanting to know more about why this happens or the possible issues that could arrise if you choose to do it anyways, I suggest looking up “SSD vs eMMC”. Most people in the Wii U community that have used flash drives as a Wii U formatted storage device for games have also complained issues, drives over heating, hence games freezing etc. just letting you know this is generally/widely known as something you probably shouldn’t do.

Last edited by Ron_Harrison, Dec 30, 2018
  3. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    Would anyone know why I can't install directly to my external HDD anymore? Whenever I try to install to USB instead of the NAND, it just shows the percentage installed like usual, but it never moves. It started months ago and I've gotten by on installing to the NAND, but I've been hearing that can risk bricking the system. I use WUP Installer GX2, and I tried installing stuff with 2 different SD cards, both SDXC Cards by SanDisk with different storage sizes, but they had the same problem.

4. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    @robco7 :

Does your external hard drive have enough free space ??

SD card in fat 32.

robco7 likes this.
  5. Blasingame

Blasingame GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2009
    United States
    Anything else I need with this setup for USB loading on my WiiU?

+Seagate 2TB USB Micro B (formatted for Fat32)
    +USB 3 Micro B Compatible Y cable

6. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, they're both fat 32 format. The system memory only has about 5000 MB left, but I've only used about a quarter of the space on my external drive.

7. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

So install on the external hard drive and not on the memory of Wii u

Last edited by jeannotte, Jan 1, 2019
  8. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    I can't for some reason. Lately whenever I try to install to the external hard drive, it shows the progress bar for installation, but it never moves. I don't know why it started doing that, since it used to work for me.

9. cypheron

cypheron Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2015
    Gambia, The
    @BurningDesire:
    Really dig your guide.
    Could you please add FunKiiU as a alternative tool for the eShop method?

I tried several tools but this script is the best IMHO because it has all the functionality needed and is open source with an easily readable code.

10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    If i have a wiiu digital only game that was downloaded using wiiu usb helper would i be able to download the update for the game from the wiiu directly once the main game is installed?

11. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Yes

cvskid likes this.
  12. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    Can i install games to my USB on my Wii U, then take that USB and put it on my brothers Wii U? Would the games i installed there from my Wii U work?

13. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    No, there's coding that is specific to that Wii U. If you try to put the hard drive on your brothers Wii U you will have to format it and have nothing on it.

alexj9626 likes this.
  14. paintispaint

paintispaint Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    searched the thread for "bulk" and "multiple" without any results really, when I use the input and output folders can I do a folder that has several games with code/content/etc in further sub directories.

eg. /games has 300 folders inside it with game titles (/games/game1, /games/game2), and they all have content/code/whatever loadiine uses. If I input /games as the input directory and say /wup_ready as output, can it take all 300 and chew through them or do I need to run it through them sequentially (manually run it for each directory /games/game1, /games/game2 etc)?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

eh sorry wrong thread meant for nuspacker, might be why my search returned no results lol

15. Dymblos

Dymblos Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    Chile
    Currently my wiiu is with Haxchi CFW, no problem playing games

I just have a questiona about the region and updates
    yesteday I install a game from another region (Eur) with wup installer and works without problem

If i install a game like Black Ops II (Eur) then i run the game, the game will get the updates? (WiiU connected to internet) I know there is an update for this games, but i don't know if there be any any problem with them or where the update will be installed

16. Cleish85

Cleish85 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2019
    Ireland
    Does anyone know what this might mean when trying to transfer games to my SD card? Got the message today. Never had problems before :(

Attached Files:

17. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    Just a guess, maybe folder name is too long? Try shortening the folder name, create a new folder on your SD CARD, then copy the ALL files across NOT the folder: eg: E:\install\DEUS EX\

18. Cleish85

Cleish85 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2019
    Ireland
    Thanks but I'm afraid that's not the problem. I'm having the same issues with games with short names too. It's now telling me there's a problem with the drive. I am trying to scan and repair it but it can't resolve the issue. It's still works in my Wii U. Do you think it could be the SD card adapter? It's a very cheap USB key type one.

19. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    It could be, I had several cheap micro sd usb key adapter die on me on a few occasions in the past, maybe grab another one. Backup the essential files on your SD CARD, then try reformatting your SD CARD and try again?

Cleish85 likes this.
  20. Cleish85

Cleish85 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2019
    Ireland
    I just formatted it there and I'm getting the same problem. I would imagine it's the shitty USB adapter then. Thanks for your help. I'll buy another one :)