Hacking Wii U Update block theory

marine5422

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of people in here want to block the Wii U Firmware Update > 5.4 AFAIK.
There's many way to block update to Using a Router, DNS.
But some reason, It's not perfect to block it. Some of them already posted that don't believe this way.

My Wii U, already set to DNS but updated to 5.4.0 by coincidently because of Dynamic IP.
(That's... really sucks... That's why I bought a used one... 4.1.0)
So I try to find another way, much better.

From surfing, I saw it other forum, "If you installed fake-signed IOS in vWii, You can get error code before the update firmware."
If it is right, Theoretically we can block the update.

HOW?

1. Set you last firmware that want to block update (a.k.a 5.3.2)
2. Backup with your vWii IOS using a BlueModDump
3. Install Fake-Signed Wii IOS that doesn't harm the vWii. (Besure that you should have backed up origianl vWii IOS before the install!)
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

You have to backup vWii IOS in case of happening.
That's just my theory, I'm not sure is it safe.
But If it is right, It'll help to block automatic update. (by making a intended error-code)

I'm not sure this will block disc-based update also.
Would anyone try want to test?

Last edited by marine5422,

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is nice in theory, if we had the ability to "fake-sign" IOSUs, I'm sure we would be able to do so much more such as EmuNAND and have more stable ways of circumventing updates.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is nice in theory, if we had the ability to "fake-sign" IOSUs, I'm sure we would be able to do so much more such as EmuNAND and have more stable ways of circumventing updates.

He's talking about fakesigning vWii IOS. Way back in the Wii days, title signatures were checked using strncmp(), which made it possible to fake signatures by causing the hash to have a 0 byte. This was fixed, so any signatures faked this way will now be considered invalid. And if we install a vWii IOS signed that way, the Wii U updater will catch that and refuse the update.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
This has already been suggested and rejected. Its too dangerous a task to recommend everyone to do, people manage to fuck up the initial soft modding process even when following a guide. If you wont want the update, delete your internet settings.

Last edited by EmceeKerser,

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you Wii U isn't up to date, there isn't any point of even letting it connect to the internet in the first place. You can't play games online. You can't use the shop. You can't use the useless Miiverse. If you are unwilling to accept the update, you might as well keep your internet settings deleted or block it at the MAC address level.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Router url blacklisting is 100 % reliable though, all attempts to connect to Nintendo's servers just fail with an error code. Updates obviously fail too. It works for me.
If you Wii U isn't up to date, there isn't any point of even letting it connect to the internet in the first place.
You need to connect to a network in order to use the Internet Browser so it's not that easy.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Router url blacklisting is 100 % reliable though, all attempts to connect to Nintendo's servers just fail with an error code. Updates obviously fail too. It works for me.

You need to connect to a network in order to use the Internet Browser so it's not that easy.
It is. You block the addresses.
Or you host the exploit at home, on a closed network

And often you can block a specific PC/console from online access, but can still connect to the local network

loco365

Trophies
XP
Unless you have an ISP-provided router with a changed password like I do.
Google for it online then. Someone is bound to have the same router as you do and perhaps has posted the username/password that the ISP sets.

That, or else give them a call and see if you can get it yourself. You should be able to adjust your own settings on your own accord.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this seems to be the more safe way if you ask me.
Installing a fake signed IOS which doesn't hurt the vWii ? Why not ?

This will 100% block all Wii U updates w/o the need of any router configurations (which might block other devices as well, like the 3DS) or some crazy local DNS configs.

If you ask me, we should get a tutorial up for those who don't care about the risk which @EmceeKerser mentioned. Yeah there might be people who f'ed up their softmods while still using a guide.....there were enough people who made it out just fine as well, so those should get this chance.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The internet browser is only useful for Homebrew, which people on 5.4.0 can't use yet.

Oh here's an idea. What about that special DNS that the 3DS hack uses? Doesn't that block Nintendo's servers? We can just use that on the Wii U to block Nintendo's servers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Unless you have an ISP-provided router with a changed password like I do.

If you can't get rid of the ISP provided router, just put another router in between you and the ISP router. Don't connect anything to the ISP router except your own router.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well this seems to be the more safe way if you ask me.
Installing a fake signed IOS which doesn't hurt the vWii ? Why not ?

This will 100% block all Wii U updates w/o the need of any router configurations (which might block other devices as well, like the 3DS) or some crazy local DNS configs.

If you ask me, we should get a tutorial up for those who don't care about the risk which @EmceeKerser mentioned. Yeah there might be people who f'ed up their softmods while still using a guide.....there were enough people who made it out just fine as well, so those should get this chance.

No, this is not 100% safe. Nintendo could just change it so that it doesn't care about the fake signed IOSs anymore.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this is not 100% safe. Nintendo could just change it so that it doesn't care about the fake signed IOSs anymore.

How? The current exploitable FWs don't have that function to ignore fake signed IOSs ... so there is nothing they can do about it on <=5.4.0 Wii Us (and probably 5.5.0 as well).
Of course they can add it later on in a newer FW version, but those would need to become interesting first (exploitable) before we talk about those.

Minecraftlol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The DNS blocking method works well for me, one of the benefits of having a Static IP, but I'm on 5.5.0 currently, so I'm going to wait till a exploit for 5.5.0 is released.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How? The current exploitable FWs don't have that function to ignore fake signed IOSs ... so there is nothing they can do about it on <=5.4.0 Wii Us (and probably 5.5.0 as well).
Of course they can add it later on in a newer FW version, but those would need to become interesting first (exploitable) before we talk about those.

The code to see if it's safe to install is probably in the update. It's the new firmware that refuses to install, not the old firmware refusing to let it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded