Hacking Wii U System Update 5.1.1 is out now.

DanT1983

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Like I said many times before and not just WiiU's. If you buy a console, especially in the last generation and now with the current generation of consoles, and expect to use on-line functions 100%, yet still use homebrew or piracy for that matter (as that is what it really is), then you're in the wrong place place. If on-line MP is a must, keep it that way and stay legit and have another system for exploits and never expect full compatibility having best of both worlds, simple as that.

Not at all true.

I bought a PS3, used it online 24/7, and all my games were not locked.

I have 27 games for the PS3 that were only released in Japan, and never had an issue.

The Wii U seems to go OUT of their way to literally SCREW their loyal customers by region locking everything.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at all true.

I have 27 games for the PS3 that were only released in Japan, and never had an issue.

The Wii U seems to go OUT of their way to literally SCREW their loyal customers by region locking everything.

Or you know, you could know that beggars can't be choosers. Either update the console or keep it open for hacks, simple as that.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Not at all true.

It is true but I think you are confused, as I did not mention region locking, nor is my comment based any of that. I'm talking about using exploitable or soon to be exploitable (WiiU) consoles online

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

DanT1983

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It is true but I think you are confused, as I did not mention region locking, nor is my comment based any of that. I'm talking about using exploitable or soon to be exploitable (WiiU) consoles online

Oh.

Ok.

I don't care about the other exploits, but apparently enabling region free on the Wii U is an exploit - because Nintendo is simply ass backwards and mentally handicapped.
So that is the "exploit" I am waiting for... The one to let me play my legally purchased games on my console... How disappointing.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or update and wait for a new browser exploit.

Hmm, I don't feel 100% comfortable doing that, because I mean, we don't know how long we would have to wait. How do we know that 5.1.1 will be as exploitable as 5.0.0 or 5.1.1 will be? I don't want this be another 3DS/PS3 scenario with limited exploitable firmware, you know? Why then are we discouraged to not update from Crediar? If he hasn't advised for us to update, why should we do so now? I don't exactly have high hopes of 5.1.1 or 5.x.x after that to be as exploitable. What guarantee do we have that newer firmware will not have all the bugs patched?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said many times before and not just WiiU's. If you buy a console, especially in the last generation and now with the current generation of consoles, and expect to use on-line functions 100%, yet still use homebrew or piracy for that matter (as that is what it really is), then you're in the wrong place place. If on-line MP is a must, keep it that way and stay legit and have another system for exploits and never expect full compatibility having best of both worlds, simple as that.

Xbox had middle ground. You could forgo online and RGH/Jtag it to get homebrew+piracy. You can also go online+piracy with the DVD flash. There was also homebrew+piracy+online if you paid a premium though XBLS, but at such a price that it was only feasible if you were doing paid modded lobbies.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I don't feel 100% comfortable doing that, because I mean, we don't know how long we would have to wait. How do we know that 5.1.1 will be as exploitable as 5.0.0 or 5.1.1 will be? I don't want this be another 3DS/PS3 scenario with limited exploitable firmware, you know? Why then are we discouraged to not update from Crediar?

5.1.1 is still using an outdated version of WebKit, which means that Nintendo only patched the specific bug we used in the previous browser exploit. The bug we found surely isn't the only exploitable bug in WebKit. There are bound to more, especially on an old version. Of course, if you want to be completely safe, you can stay on an old version (which is probably why crediar said that), but the odds are good that we'll have another browser exploit. At the same time, a kernel exploit (when we get one) may make it possible to spoof the system software version on older versions.

Reactions: VinsCool

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5.1.1 is still using an outdated version of WebKit, which means that Nintendo only patched the specific bug we used in the previous browser exploit. The bug we found surely isn't the only exploitable bug in WebKit. There are bound to more, especially on an old version. Of course, if you want to be completely safe, you can stay on an old version (which is probably why crediar said that), but the odds are good that we'll have another browser exploit. At the same time, a kernel exploit (when we get one) may make it possible to spoof the system software version on older versions.

So goes the old saying "better safe than sorry", I'm not taking any risks with this, given my luck I've had on the 3DS. There are no major benefits to being on 5.1.1 to be honest ;) I'd rather not take my chances.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Xbox had middle ground. You could forgo online and RGH/Jtag it to get homebrew+piracy. You can also go online+piracy with the DVD flash. There was also homebrew+piracy+online if you paid a premium though XBLS, but at such a price that it was only feasible if you were doing paid modded lobbies.

I was banned twice over a 2 year period on 2 different consoles using a Dvd flash, so its definitely not safe, regardless of firmware and patched isos via abgx360 used. Rule of thumb for Jtag/RGH was to never go online as you would be flagged more or less instantly. I have a RGH 2.0 slim purely for offline, yet know of the method to get online with it via a service but I thought its a waste of money, so another dedicated console for online is a better choice for the games you want to play online MP.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides online connectivity. ;)

Which is easily circumvented/counteracted by the fact I've people willing to play Mario Kart 8 and other multiplayer games locally. My wireless is so crappy where I live I can never connect into a game without it dropping 10 minutes later anyways. If the firmware version can be spoofed with kernel access, I'll be happy then. The lackluster eShop doesn't motivate me much either :D

Still on 4.1.0:lol:

Good luck getting online. :P

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Which is easily circumvented/counteracted by the fact I've people willing to play Mario Kart 8 and other multiplayer games locally. My wireless is so crappy where I live I can never connect into a game without it dropping 10 minutes later anyways. If the firmware version can be spoofed with kernel access, I'll be happy then. The lackluster eShop doesn't motivate me much either :D

Good luck getting online. :P

lol. Don't intend on using the system at all until a decent enough exploit comes available to actually do something with it. It's all boxed up on a shelf right now.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol. Don't intend on using the system at all until a decent enough exploit comes available to actually do something with it. It's all boxed up on a shelf right now.

I still care too much about the games I have for it, and vWii mode, so no online till the firmware can be spoofed.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was banned twice over a 2 year period on 2 different consoles using a Dvd flash, so its definitely not safe, regardless of firmware and patched isos via abgx360 used. Rule of thumb for Jtag/RGH was to never go online as you would be flagged more or less instantly. I have a RGH 2.0 slim purely for offline, yet know of the method to get online with it via a service but I thought its a waste of money, so another dedicated console for online is a better choice for the games you want to play online MP.

I've been online via DVD flash since before LT came out, and luckily haven't been banned *knocks on wood*. I currently have a dual NAND slim that I originally installed a Cygnos into, but switched to a Demon because I like the NAND switcher option. Right now my formula looks more like (hombrew+piracy)+(online+piracy)=homebrew+online+2 piracy!

On topic: Personally as the WiiU is concerned I'm going to hold off on updating. I prefer homebrew/piracy over online.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
you'll be waiting a LONG time than in the meantime we'll all be enjoying smash bros ONLINE :P

It is not released yet, Until this day, who knows if a spoof could be done in the meantime.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.