Hardware Wii U sound output while on TV mode

Heavy01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay so this is confusing as hell. Basically I'm a PC user, I have no tv nor need one. I have multiple monitors, my Wii U is connected to a secondary monitor through an HDMI to DVI convertor.

The issue is the sound, since the monitor obviously has no sound, no sound comes out of anywhere while on tv mode.

Originally I thought the sound would output to the gamepad at all times, so I didn't need anything else. But I was wrong when I played wind waker HD. When I switch to tv mode, no audio comes out.

I have a ps3 and what I do is use a converter where I plug in the red and white cables from the AV cord, and on the other end I can plug in headphones. So basically I output video through HDMI (to dvi with a converter) and audio through AV (to headphones with a converter), this is possible, on the ps3 at least.

I configured it the same way on Wii U, but it doesn't work. No audio comes to my headphones.

So is there something I'm doing wrong or did nintendo seriously fail at having support for something as basic as this while a previous gen console had it covered?

Is there another solution that doesn't require expending hundreds of dollars on expensive audio hardware?

Also when I played wonderful 101 audio played the way I originally expected. Audio comes from the gamepad at all times, so it doesn't matter whether you play on tv more or gamepad. I assume this is up to the developers to implement properly (like platinum did) or fail horribly (like nintendo did with wind waker) and there is nothing I can do to set audio to output to the gamepad at all times?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WIi U doesn't allow secondary audio output like PS3 can.

What you need to do is buy a HDMI audio extractor/de-embedder, like this one,
https://www.monoprice.com/products/...10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

This is the cheapest "proper" HDMI audio de-embedder you can find, most goes for $100 or more. Other cheaper one doesn't have the ability to ignore HDMI handshake, making it useless.

This goes between monitor and Wii U. Set it to mode B to ignore HDMI handskare (which Wii U will be forced to transmit audio over HDMI cable). Plug headphone to the back of the unit.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: kp_centi

Heavy01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ah, I see, thank you.

But I just bought all this stuff (even an AV cable that is worthless because nintendo was too cheap to even include that) so for now I'll just have to pray developers are smart like platinum and make their games play audio on the gamepad at all times.

T-thanks nintendo, nice next gen.

WIi U doesn't allow secondary audio output like PS3 can.

What you need to do is buy a HDMI audio extractor/de-embedder, like this one,
https://www.monoprice.com/products/...10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

This is the cheapest "proper" HDMI audio de-embedder you can find, most goes for $100 or more. Other cheaper one doesn't have the ability to ignore HDMI handshake, making it useless.

This goes between monitor and Wii U. Set it to mode B to ignore HDMI handskare (which Wii U will be forced to transmit audio over HDMI cable). Plug headphone to the back of the unit.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant by "I configured it like the ps3". I went to options, audio, and if you press X you can set audio to come from AV cables, HDMI, or both.

But that is either broken or does something else I'm missing, because audio still wont come out.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, yeah, that's what I meant by "I configured it like the ps3". I went to options, audio, and if you press X you can set audio to come from AV cables, HDMI, or both.

But that is either broken or does something else I'm missing, because audio still wont come out.
So you are on 4.0 firmware and audio still won't come out on AV port?

Heavy01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the U support headsets that have a USB connection in them? Or do you have speakers you could hook up to your monitor? If the monitor doesn't have a built-in audio system, then you need to build one yourself.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Correctly. Maybe the converter I'm using doesn't work with Wii U or something.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U3ACY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is what I'm using, works flawlessly with the ps3 (except I can't control volume and sometimes I feel like it's a little low but beggars can't be choosers). Does Wii U not support 5.1 sound or something?
Wii U supports 5.1 LPCM when using HDMI (digital), analog 2.0 when using AV port. That adapter you using is for analog 5.1 output. It probably won't work at all.

But same thing should apply to PS3. Since PS3 is using analog 2.0 when using its AV port.

Try set Wii U to stereo.

constantgamer247

Pourquoi?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have my Wii U plugged into an extra dell monitor I normally use as a second screen for a tower via HDMI, I just go single screen on that computer while playing games. That monitor has no speakers but it does have audio out so I just run a double-ended headphone jack cable into a boom box and set it to AUX IN. If you have an audio out option on your monitor that should work for you.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have my Wii U plugged into an extra dell monitor I normally use as a second screen for a tower via HDMI, I just go single screen on that computer while playing games. That monitor has no speakers but it does have audio out so I just run a double-ended headphone jack cable into a boom box and set it to AUX IN. If you have an audio out option on your monitor that should work for you.
OP already said his/her monitor doesn't have an audio output or integrated speaker.

Heavy01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Holy fuck I feel like a dumbshit. I found the problem, I didn't plug in the composite cable into the wii U all the way in.

Holy shit brb killing myself

Either way it works now, yes as of the 4.0 update, you can use multiple audio outputs.

I'm sorry Iwata please forgive me.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow you're gonna have fun connecting the PS4/Xbone since they only support HDMI.
Both PS4 and Xbox 1 have optical out (TOSLINK) as secondary audio output
I'm sorry Iwata please forgive me.
NEVER.

Joke aside, keep in mind that you still only get analog 2.0 from that Logitech adapter. All that adapter does is mirroring front sound to the rear. There is no positional feedback like you would get from 5.1 audio.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I assume this is up to the developers to implement properly (like platinum did) or fail horribly (like nintendo did with wind waker) and there is nothing I can do to set audio to output to the gamepad at all times?
Wait, what? Just because Nintendo didn't cater to people who weren't smart enough to use a device that is capable of outputting audio doesn't mean they failed horribly, or at all for that matter. If you had the setup you were supposed to, it would work fine.

Heavy01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow you're gonna have fun connecting the PS4/Xbone since they only support HDMI.

Why would I get one when I have a PC.

Wait, what? Just because Nintendo didn't cater to people who weren't smart enough to use a device that is capable of outputting audio doesn't mean they failed horribly, or at all for that matter. If you had the setup you were supposed to, it would work fine.

Regarding tv play, you can play W101 fully on a tv or without one (using a monitor)

You can't play Wind Waker HD fully without one unless you buy adapters or have speakers to plug in the composite cables and waited for the 4.0 update.

You can clearly see who failed miserably, and who didn't.

Thank you based kamiya. As much as I like nintendo, boy do they need to catch up to the 21st century.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass