Homebrew Wii U SNES VC saves are apparently cross-compatible with New 3DS SNES VC

Test Track

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backed up my EarthBound save from my Wii U and decided to inject the .ves file into my EarthBound N3DS save via svdt, and it turns out that it works without any modification whatsoever aside from renaming the file to the correct version (provided you make sure to remove all three files in the N3DS version's save folder first via svdt). Probably not super useful or convenient, though, considering how much legwork you have to do if you want to switch between the two platforms on a regular basis.

Of course, this is only tested with a single title and I don't have any other SNES VC titles on both consoles I could test this with, but comparing the .ves files via hex editor shows similar enough, if not identical structures.

I also dumped my copy of EarthBound Beginnings and converted the save to a format RetroArch's FCEUmm could read using some info from these threads, so now I got both on the go, haha.

Last edited by Test Track,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Once extracted, it's a simple standard format save file.

You can also say 3DS SNES VC saves are cross-compatible with the Windows emulator ZSNES.

Or that NES VC saves are cross-compatible with Android NES emulator NESoid.

Or that the saves of entire series of Wii, Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console games are cross-compatible with RetroArch!

I don't want to embarrass you, but duh!

They're just emulators. The platform is largely irrelevant, the save files are the same format across the board.

Reactions: The9thBit

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep, in the end it all comes down to a unified save language.
I've brought over saves from a legit gamecube memory card to a wii, to a wii U (nintendont), to dolphin and then back on the gamecube memory card.

Test Track

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're just emulators. The platform is largely irrelevant, the save files are the same format across the board.
Barring the condescending tone of your post, I feel that you didn't even finish reading the rest of my post, considering that I noted that the .ves file (which is basically an .srm file with extra bytes of stuff you needed to remove) for EarthBound Beginnings required modification before FCEUmm would accept it. I linked to a tutorial that showed what you needed to do to make one's VC saves work cleanly with an emulator. I didn't need to do this for switching between the official Wii U and N3DS SNES emulators because there was no such difference between their .ves files.

yep, in the end it all comes down to a unified save language.
I've brought over saves from a legit gamecube memory card to a wii, to a wii U (nintendont), to dolphin and then back on the gamecube memory card.
Those platforms use literally the same unmodified .gci files. The official SNES emulators that Nintendo use for the Wii U and N3DS store their save data in a slightly modified form, and it hasn't really been clarified that the two platforms could share saves without needing modification to the files.

I get that we get an influx of new folks here all the time asking silly questions and making unsound claims, but I think I've explained myself well enough here that what I'm saying isn't unfounded or stated without merit. You can actually test this yourself if you want, if it's something you care enough about to be willing to do. I mean, you cared enough to respond to this thread, I guess.

I think it would be best to save the biting retorts for the crazy folks claiming they found a kernel exploit when all they did was crash the game or something silly like that.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I tried inject the Link to the Past save from N3DS to Wiiu (loadiine) and didn't work. Of course I changed the names but didn't work at all. Maybe because I'm using loadiine?

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT:

Well.. I tested with LoZ Link to the past and

WiiU to N3DS > works (save works well but no savestate)
N3DS to WiiU > don't work (appears as a clean save)

I tried everything and can't fix it... anyone wants do try?

Last edited by raphamotta,

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT:

Well.. I tested with LoZ Link to the past and

WiiU to N3DS > works (save works well but no savestate)
N3DS to WiiU > don't work (appears as a clean save)

I tried everything and can't fix it... anyone wants do try?
you can try to compare in hex editing tools to see where the header starts and ends. because the only difference in saves cross platform is the oem encrypted security or "container" that their in.
for N3ds you can try to use savedata filer to decrypt or remove the save encrypted header then remove it or convert it to your detestation.

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
I checked with FBI and svdt that there's no security value for this game on N3DS. Maybe there's on WiiU but I don't know how to check it.

Opened the saves and realized that part of ves file is inside the vew ad vea file too, starting with line 0x30. Tried to edit and move just this data, no luck

I think it's easier go with Retroarch...

Test Track

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the late reply. Have you made sure to delete the save file for LttP in the Wii U's data management before attempting an inject with Saviine? You should only be needing to inject the .ves by itself file because the .vea, as you may already know, is the save state file and will restore the game to the original save. Unfortunately, I can't currently reconfirm if this works at the moment due to being away from my console.

Also, there shouldn't be any issue with encryption if you're using the available apps (svdt and JKSM for 3DS, Saviine for Wii U) to dump saves.

Of course, you did also mention you are using Loadiine, and I have no experience with the quirks of loading games from that.

Also, although not the same emulator/platform, someone here has had success with injecting their edited Wii U GBA VC save file by making sure to delete the save state file first. I don't think the Wii U SNES VC emulator would have any security measures for blocking injected saves from loading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn