Hacking Wii U shuts down after using Nintendont with SD Card, USB stick doesnt get recognized.

Fingi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there,
basically i want to play Gamecube games with Wii U Gamepad support and i am kinda in a desperate state, since i cant get it working. All i want is to play Games with Gamepad Support :(
Here are the things i tried:

I tried TeconMoons and Wii U USB Helpers Injection Tool. Both didnt work. Either the Wii U shut down or i got a black screen. Wii Injections work fine but Gamecube Injections dont work.
Then i tried using a Nintendont Forwader on my Wii U Menu. Also didnt work, i got a black screen.
Then i tried the method from Section 3 from this thread from @MattKimura : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...e-ps1-n64-games-from-the-wiiu-gamepad.489122/ ( You basically have Wii U Gamepad support for the vWii Homebrew, so you can go to Nintedont and can control it with the Wii U Gamepad) The homebrew channel works and i can control it with my Gamepad, but here is the problem:

When i start a game, which is located on my SD Card, from Nintendont (normal Nintendont from vWii) it loads up to 9 Kernels and then shuts down. It works the first time when installing Nintendont and after that i cant load up any games which are on my SD Card, the Wii U just shuts down. Loading the exact same game however on my USB Stick, Nintendont works fine and i havent had one crash. Since i dont have a Gamecube Controller i cant play the games normally from my vWii.

So when using the Method from @MattKimura i can go to the vWiis homebrew, open and control Nintedont with my Gamepad, but the problem is when i am in Nintendont using this method, it says "No FAT device found" when selecting USB, my SD Card gets recognized, but when i use the SD Card my Wii U crashes.

Is my SD Card faulty and would this problem maybe be fixed if i buy a new SD Card? As of right now i am using a 64GB Sandisk SD Card formatted to FAT32, with which i never had a problem ever, only now with Nintendont.

Would be extremly thankful if someone could help me out

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not working from SD but they do from USB... what does that tell you?

Have you checked the SD card for failure/errors?

Games are a lot of data being read at every moment from the selected media, so you should use an external USB hard drive, to store your Wii and/or NGC games.

When I started playing my NGC and Wii games on my hacked Wii, I used a USB memory stick -not a HDD- and it failed too soon to even being worth buying another. So I bought a HDD and an enclosure to make it external, made my Y-USB cable and haven't had any problem so far. I'm not saying this will solve all the problems, but at least you can be sure the physical media is more reliable. SD/microSD cards and USB memory sticks are less stable than a HDD.

Fingi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a HDD, connected with Y USB cable to my Wii U for normal Wii U Games and VC Games, but how would I play GameCube Games on my Hard drive without using Injects? As for my USB Stick, I had never a problem when playing games for example on USB loader GX.
And how do I check my SD Card for failure/errors?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure you can play cube games from the hdd. in fact, nintendont asks for sd or usb. I personally play mine from the sd card though. 256GB full size sd card, and I've never had a problem. takes a few moments to start, since it's an sd card, but it plays at full speed.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure you can play cube games from the hdd. in fact, nintendont asks for sd or usb. I personally play mine from the sd card though. 256GB full size sd card, and I've never had a problem. takes a few moments to start, since it's an sd card, but it plays at full speed.

Not with a Wii U formatted hard drive. On normal Wii its possible with NTFS+FAT32 on the same drive.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's what I mean. nintendont should read the fat32 drive by default. it's a vwii app, not a wiiu one. duh.

I don't get the confusion here, an HDD formatted on the Wii U for use with Wii U games can ONLY be used with Wii U games. You cannot use Wii U/Wii and GC games on the same drive unless they are via injects. Read what he said again. Having to manage two different HDDs for WiiU/vWii is an annoying process for some.

I have a HDD, connected with Y USB cable to my Wii U for normal Wii U Games and VC Games

Last edited by raging_chaos,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
read what I said. nintendont is a vwii app, so it runs on the vwii.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if you piss me off again, I'll just put you on my ignore list and forget about you permanently.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's said he's got a (not FAT32) hard drive for Wii U games, an SD card and a USB flash drive. I'd like you to provide proof of an HDD with WiiU/Wii/GC games working on the same drive. You don't need to be a Karen you replied to me, but get angry and block all you want that's not a solution for OP.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

Fingi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try formatting the SD card with fat32 + 32kb cluster size for compatibility. It's usually the first go to.

My SD card is already formatted to fat 32 + 32kb.

Yes when I am in Nintendont on vWii it asks for both. But when I choose USB, Nintendont takes my USB Stick, not my HDD. But when I am in Nintendont with Gamepad support it only recognizes my SD Card. And which SD Card are you using?

nintendont should read the fat32 drive by default. it's a vwii app, not a wiiu one. duh.

Yes but my HDD is not formatted to fat 32, since I store all my normal Wii U and VC Games on my HDD, so therefore my HDD has a different format.
And even if I could play GC games with my HDD the problem, that Nintendont doesn't recognize my USB when on Nintendont with gamepad support, still persist.

Last edited by Fingi,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a PNY 256GB card (just checked). maybe it's the version of nintendont you're using? here's mine. I'm using a somewhat old version, but everything I've tried works. you can even use a pro controller with it. I thought that a vc inject would allow you to play a cube game from the wii u hdd btw.

it might also be your forwarder (if that's what you're using), because I think it's the forwarder that offers gamepad support. I can't share you mine, since it's against the rules, but I do still have it.

Attachments

• Nintendont.zip
    994.6 KB · Views: 130

Fingi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes I tried the newest version and a lot of different old versions, all didn't work well with my SD Card. But after trying your version I could play the game 4 times back to back from my SD Card without any crash. Let's hope this works consistently and doesn't crash. Thanks for sharing your version!

I thought that a vc inject would allow you to play a cube game from the wii u hdd btw.
it.

Well yes you can, but it seems like a lot of people, including me, can't use GC injections because we just get a black screen when starting them. Haven't find any cause or solution to this problem, that's why I am trying a workaround.

it might also be your forwarder (if that's what you're using), because I think it's the forwarder that offers gamepad support. I can't share you mine, since it's against the rules, but I do still have it.

Yes might also be my forwarder. I got it somewhere on google but couldn't find any other one. I also heard that you can build your own forwarder but how does that work?

Edit:
Ok sadly a new problem popped up, but I might have figured out why the Wii U Crashes when selecting games from my SD Card. When playing a GC game which is located on my SD Card and MemCard Emulation is off, it works just fine, but when I turn on MemCard Emulation the Wii U shuts down (doesn't matter if I use 59 or 251 blocks). So that means I can't save my game. Is there a fix for that or a workaround? On my USB Stick it doesn't matter if MemCard Emulation is on or off, both works.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I remember, I got all cube saves from my wii using save manager gx, then I used dolphin on the pc to create a new big memory card, then I injected all saves into ti. all saves seem to work, at least the ones I've tried like tales of symphonia and super mario sunshine. if you're doing save emulation without an actual raw save file, I don't know if that could be causing it. I think ninmem.raw is what nintendont is using, but I can't remember. you can also make each game use a separate memory card from what I remember, but I didn't do that:

upload_2021-7-3_11-31-47.png

btw, this also works with usb loader gx except I don't have gamepad support, which is why I think it's attached to the forwarder. my forwarder doesn't ask if I want to use the gamepad, but that's okay. the nintendont forwarder does though.

one theory I have is if the sd car dis write protected (the switch on the side of it). if it's locked and the system tries writing a memory card image to it, that might make it crash.

Fingi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am kinda confused. Wouldn't it be useless for me to use Save manager GX, since i dont have a save file for my GC games to begin with? And how do i create a memory card with dolphin? When i create a save on dolphin it gives me 2 files. A SRAM.raw and a 01-G8MP-mariost_save_file.gci file. Which do i put where?

one theory I have is if the sd car dis write protected (the switch on the side of it). if it's locked and the system tries writing a memory card image to it, that might make it crash.

It isnt physically protected, but on Windows Read Only is checked. Tried to turn off Read Only but Windows doesn't let. Same for my USB Stick, but on my USB Stick its working fine, so i dont think thats the problem.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found that Nintendont on the Wii U can fail to launch games with certain things plugged into the USB ports when loading games from the SD card (some devices play just fine and don't need to be unplugged, but some don't). I would recommend trying to disconnect your USB hard drive and any other USB devices you may have plugged in, and just try running Nintendont with only the SD card in.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's only when you enable memory card emulation? now that I think about it, I don't think write protection is the problem, because it wouldn't have allowed you to put the nintendont I'm using on the card. paste wouldn't exist, nor would cut and copy. and, it would've errored if you used ctrl+v.

Fingi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes only when MemCard Emulation is on. Yes I can put files on to my SD Card so I don't think write protection is the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol