Wii U serial code for retail consoles not yet preupdated to 5.1.1?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Bakuryu42, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Bakuryu42
    OP

Bakuryu42 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2009
    United States
    So I was thinking now that homebrew is starting to move along (albeit slowly) is it worth noting which Wii U's being sold are possibly being sold at an appropriate version for the exploit?

2. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    No consoles in stores right now are going to be on 5.1.1. The firmware has been available for about 2 days.

B4rtj4h and loco365 like this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    homebrew is moving alone? last time i checked it's been stopped dead in it's tracks :lol:

4. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States

Um, what? Nintendo blocked the browser exploit that we're using, but they're still on an old version of WebKit. It shouldn't be too difficult to find another WebKit bug and turn that into an exploit. The only way that it could be stopped dead in its tracks is if everyone gave up, which isn't going to happen.

5. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    There's so much inventory of current Wii Us out there in the world that you'd be very hard-pressed to find a Wii U with even 5.0 firmware preloaded. It's not like Nintendo is in any hurry to block a small exploit that they're stopping their production lines just to update all Wii Us prior to shipping. I purchased a 3DS last week brand new and it came with system software 6.1.0, even though the latest version is now up to 8.1.x.

Not only that, but you need to consider all the Wii Us that are sitting in warehouses, waiting to be shipped to retail locations when needed. The only thing I'd be worried about is if there's a new bundle/SKU coming out, possibly with 5.1.1 or later firmware preloaded. Even then it should be very easy to find a Wii U brand new with lesser firmware, just go with one of the launch bundles (with Nintendo Land) or ZombiU, MH3U, NSMBU, LoZ: Wind Waker HD, the list goes on...

I remember when (at the time) the new PS3 SKU came out lacking backwards compatibility and people started wondering how much longer they can still get the BC PS3. And there were plenty of them still available several months later, some retailers even marked up the prices to match demand. So yeah, I wouldn't worry about it for a long time. Maybe keep away from the Super Smash Bros. bundle come winter. :)

6. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    how has homebrew been stopped? just dont update your wiiu... I dont get, why people are having their consoles auto updated... my router blocks the url and it can't update, my wiiu is on daily and I keep it on stand-by, when I turn it off (still plugged into wall socket) .... my wiiu doesnt auto update and I wont update it any further manually
    having it on 5.0 right now (was on 4.1 before that, just updated for a free windwaker game with my mario kart 8)

7. Bakuryu42
    OP

Bakuryu42 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2009
    United States
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, I unfortunately updated my 3DS when that whole thing happened and don't feel like buying another 3DS so I'm waiting, I don't wanna miss out on the Wii U though.

8. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    If you don't have a Wii U yet, buy NOW. There's tons of excellent stuff for it you'd be stupid to postpone your purchase for any reason especially if homebrew is important to you.

Here's the trick: keep your Wii U offline. I did that. Kissing online goodbye is the best way to ensure you stay on whatever firmware you're on.

9. Xirix

Xirix GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    Well any Wii U made in 2013 will obviously be safe, and considering I can still get 3DS XL's from 2013 coupled with I believe the fact the Wii U isn't selling as well as the 3DS? Should have plenty of time to get one below 5.1.1

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

You almost seem disappointed that Wii U homebrew will still pull through and be worked on :creep:

11. CanuckGod

CanuckGod Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2006
    Canada
    Just bought a Wii U at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago, still on 3.1, I believe. I was planning to get one and just sit on it until I heard more anyway (using my 360 and PS3 more anyhow), but I did unbox it as I was wanting to try the New Super Mario Bros U/Luigi U pack-in title, and as such, I've kept it offline (didn't enter Wifi info) as I don't feel the need to use anything online related on it at present, and I've still got my softmodded Wii for anything Wii homebrew-related. As it is, I'm patient anyhow, had my 3DS for 9 months before the Gateway 3DS came out, kept it offline, then updated it to 4.5 via gamecard, and the rest, as they say, was magic.

12. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    if it's going to happen it won't be with the browser exploit that thing is dead. maybe the wiikeyu will open some exploit up?

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

False, false and false. Reread what MarioNumber1 said, the webkit exploit isn't out of the question, that particular bug is patched. They're still using an old version of the Webkit, reread post #4 because clearly you didn't read a damn thing he said about the Webkit still having bugs that can be exploited. Don't be so sodding negative and rule out every possibility of a webkit exploit.

MarioNumber 1:
    Reading is good.

CanuckGod and Fpsrussia117 like this.
  14. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I agree, why would there need to be a list of consoles that aren't exploitable when the list would be empty?

15. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    how is it dead? just don't update, for christs sake
    also like already mentioned, they might also find other exploits for future system software versions

16. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    1) There will ALWAYS be another browser exploit. That's why browsers have to update all the time lol.
    2) The Wiikey U runs through an exploit.

17. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    And miss out on playing smash bros and mk8 online NOT A CHANCE! i really can't see wiiu homebrew happening this year. you best to just stick to vwii.

18. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    well thats a valid point, at least for you
    I only play mk8 with friends offline and so I will do with smash, but I get your point
    I will stay on 5.0 until there really is a feasable reason to update (if smash will demand it, then I will, for example)

19. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    welp your gonna have to the update will be on the disc and every single nintendo game from here on.

20. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    You're quite the fun sucker. It's cool that you updated and you don't care about Wii U-mode homebrew, but why attack everyone who hasn't updated and does care? Like, including the devs. It hurts my fragile babby feelings.

That being said, the bottom line is that once we see the need to release a usable exploit (ie we've gotten higher-level access and figured out useful things for end-users to do with it), we'll probably develop another browser exploit to go with it so everyone can use it. The chance of homebrew on updated Wii U's in the future is pretty definitely 100 percent (don't cross your fingers for piracy though, nobody wants anything to do with that garbage.)