Hacking Wii U SD card size without performing NAND backup.

purrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest, I'm a bit cheap. I'd like to not have to buy an SD card since I don't plan to load my games off my SD card. I assume I'll only need to use the SD for the initial hacking process.

If I neglect to do the NAND backup (which would require a 64GB card), how much space would I need just to do the hack and run the necessary CFW stuff? Maybe the popular emulators, etc.

I'd prefer to run most stuff off a USB hard drive, all the games, but ideally probably everything. Do I need anything bigger than a 4 or 8 gig card?

purrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just trying to avoid buying a new 64GB card, and having it sit in my WiiU practically unused after I do the hack. I assume I need most of the core files to continue to reside on the SD card afterwards, otherwise I'd just re-appropriate the card afterwards and reformat it for my Switch.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD just needs to be bigger than 10gb because that's the biggest game I can think of. The issue is you need a big enough SD to put the install files on. You install from SD even if you are installing to USB you still have to first put the install files on SD. There is no other way

Last edited by Kafluke,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The SD just needs to be bigger than 10gb because that's the biggest game I can think of. The issue is you need a big enough SD to put the install files on. You install from SD even if you are installing to USB you still have to first put the install files on SD. There is no other way
Alot of games are 20gb or more like xenoblade chronicles x or nba 2k13 or legocity or watchdogs plus many more.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest, I'm a bit cheap. I'd like to not have to buy an SD card since I don't plan to load my games off my SD card. I assume I'll only need to use the SD for the initial hacking process.

If I neglect to do the NAND backup (which would require a 64GB card), how much space would I need just to do the hack and run the necessary CFW stuff? Maybe the popular emulators, etc.

I'd prefer to run most stuff off a USB hard drive, all the games, but ideally probably everything. Do I need anything bigger than a 4 or 8 gig card?
nand backup is not even that useful because to restore it you need to hardmod the system aka taking the system apart and making adjustments to the motherboard

purrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh. Very interesting. Thanks for shedding some light on the process! I didn't think ahead past the hacking stage. I didn't realize I'd have to load through an SD card intermediary before getting it to the HDD.

Thanks everyone!

purrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to revive the thread, but I have a further inquiry.

It was really helpful, as it was suggested, to use a 64GB microSD card to facilitate mass data transfer to my WiiU hard drive. I thought I would continue to use my SD card for Wii or Gamecube backups, but current injection techniques seem to work flawless and allow me to copy to the Wii U hard drive (using its file system).

Since I only have a few hundred megabytes in use on this microSD card now, I think I will repurpose it for my 3DS which has lately been running out of space from 3DS games on the freeshop. Will my 3DS care (or even notice) that I have now moved the contents of my old SD card over to this different SD card? And comparably, can I mirror the folder structure on my WiiU microsd card (haxchi, apps, install folder, etc.) and move that over to my older SD card?

I presume as long as the file systems are compatible this should be fine. I'd be putting a 16GB SD card back into the Wii U, and the 64GB microSD card from the WiiU back into my 3DS.

Any tips or suggestions I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sorry to revive the thread, but I have a further inquiry.

It was really helpful, as it was suggested, to use a 64GB microSD card to facilitate mass data transfer to my WiiU hard drive. I thought I would continue to use my SD card for Wii or Gamecube backups, but current injection techniques seem to work flawless and allow me to copy to the Wii U hard drive (using its file system).

Since I only have a few hundred megabytes in use on this microSD card now, I think I will repurpose it for my 3DS which has lately been running out of space from 3DS games on the freeshop. Will my 3DS care (or even notice) that I have now moved the contents of my old SD card over to this different SD card? And comparably, can I mirror the folder structure on my WiiU microsd card (haxchi, apps, install folder, etc.) and move that over to my older SD card?

I presume as long as the file systems are compatible this should be fine. I'd be putting a 16GB SD card back into the Wii U, and the 64GB microSD card from the WiiU back into my 3DS.

Any tips or suggestions I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
Just copy-pasting should work perfectly.

purrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great. Thanks! I just noticed that the SD card I had in my 3DS is only Class 6. I imagine that will be sufficient on the Wii U since all I'm loading is Haxchi and maybe launching WupInstaller and such. Not really running any games off the card.

By moving up to a Class 10 UHS1 card (what I've been using in my WiiU). Am I likely to notice any 3DS performance differences once I replace the Class 6 card in my 3DS?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Great. Thanks! I just noticed that the SD card I had in my 3DS is only Class 6. I imagine that will be sufficient on the Wii U since all I'm loading is Haxchi and maybe launching WupInstaller and such. Not really running any games off the card.

By moving up to a Class 10 UHS1 card (what I've been using in my WiiU). Am I likely to notice any 3DS performance differences once I replace the Class 6 card in my 3DS?
Load times and saving will probably be a bit quicker

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i suggest 32 though minimum id say 16

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alot of games are 20gb or more like xenoblade chronicles x or nba 2k13 or legocity or watchdogs plus many more.
Here is the size of the top 15 largest games for the Wii U. Size in MB.

Darksiders Warmastered Edition 23589.23
Skylanders Imaginators 20943.19
Call of Duty Black Ops II 20382.45
NBA 2K13 20147.7
Xenoblade Chronicles X 20027.1
LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER 19247.8
Batman Arkham City Armored Edition 18928.3
Guitar Hero Live 18309.99
Mass 3 Effect Special Edition 17832.85
Call of Duty Ghosts 17233.91
Assassin's Creed III 16718.3
WARRIORS OROCHI 3 Hyper 15946.7