Hacking Wii U running Haxchi doesn't detect USB HDD (with Y-cable)

zxon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone help with this problem please?

I obtained a second Wii U this week so decided to homebrew it, as I wanted to backup my Wii U games onto an external HDD and run them off of that instead of getting the discs out every time. I'm no stranger to homebrew, as I've successfully softmodded a Wii to use a hard drive for this same purpose. To prepare for this one, I got a new 32Gb SD card, a new 500Gb external HDD, and a new USB Y-cable. I've already got another Wii U (unmodded) which works fine with a 500Gb external HDD with the same USB Y-cable.

Prior to modding the second Wii U, I tried the new HDD and cable and it detected the drive. As this second Wii U had firmware 5.5.2E installed, I followed the instructions from wiiu.hacks.guide word for word and successfully set up Coldboot Haxchi. Unfortunately, after setting up Haxchi, this Wii U no longer detects my new HDD even when using the Y-cable.

I've debugged the issue by trying out the following:
  • Swapping the Y-cable around so the data part of the cable has been tried in all four USB ports (not detected)
  • Swapped the Y-cable with the one from my working Wii U set up (not detected)
  • Swapped the HDD with the one from my working Wii U set up (not detected)
  • Tried both the HDD and Y-cable from my working Wii U set up together (not detected)
  • Tried the new HDD and Y-cable in my working Wii U set up (detects it and formats ok)
  • Tried the new HDD and Y-cable in the second Wii U after formatting it on the working Wii U set up (not detected)
  • Tried a spare self-powered 3TB external HDD (detects and formats ok, although it only uses 2/3 of the drive)
This leads me to believe that there's something up with this second Wii U or something wrong with the homebrew I've used. Is it normal for a Y-cable powered USB HDD to not work on a homebrew Wii U? Is there anything I can do to make this set up work?

Last edited by zxon,

Mi|enko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that the self powered HDD works, I'd look at a power issue. Maybe there's something wrong with the power output on the new WiiU. You should be able to get a $10 externally powered USB hub and use that, since you've already validated that an HDD with an external peer source works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end