Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
You are awful at reading
READ ON dude, I would say YOU are awful at reading...

Many smartphone, tablet, and game console makers include a layer of Digital Rights Management (DRM) software on their products. This DRM exists either to limit the software you can run on it, or is there for security reasons. Jailbreaking is the process of hacking these devices to bypass DRM restrictions, allowing you to run "unauthorized" software and to make other tweaks to your operating system.

More technically, jailbreaking can be thought of as the process of installing "a modified set of kernel patches.
Also, your very own quote only proves my point further as it states that is a now a more generalized term. In any case, it is a concept regardless of what you call it. Nothing about running software in "virtual jails."

You also, know nothing about PS3 CFW.

Last edited by Trumpz,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Many smartphone, tablet, and game console makers include a layer of Digital Rights Management (DRM) software on their products. This DRM exists either to limit the software you can run on it, or is there for security reasons. Jailbreaking is the process of hacking these devices to bypass DRM restrictions, allowing you to run "unauthorized" software and to make other tweaks to your operating system.

More technically, jailbreaking can be thought of as the process of installing "a modified set of kernel patches.

Dude, I'm not trying to be rude, I initially started out as trying to politely correct you. What I'm trying to tell you is that you are using a correct term in a situation that is not correct. The reason "jailbreaking" is correct when referring to the PS3 is because it runs all of it's programs in jails (or sandboxes, if you want to refer to it that way), the barriers of which need to be "broken" to run custom code. The Wii, on the other hand, merely needs to have code exploited and patched out for custom code to run on it, so in this sense it would only be a "software modification".

Reactions: Net-KILLER

Trumpz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 CFW DOES NOT run anything in a sandbox dude. The article I have already sited explains it all. The webexpoit we use would also be considered jailbreaking if we use the articles definition. Because the kernel is being exploited/patched in order for us to run code. So gonna have to disagree with you, on everything.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 CFW DOES NOT run anything in a sandbox dude. The article I have already sited explains it all. The webexpoit we use would also be considered jailbreaking if we use the articles definition. Because the kernel is being exploited/patched in order for us to run code. So gonna have to disagree with you, on everything.
@NWPlayer123 help me out here, can you jailbreak a Wii?

Reactions: Net-KILLER

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123 help me out here, can you jailbreak a Wii?
No, the term jailbreak is used when a limitation is set on the software. As in locked in or out of an area.
With the wii you aren't really locked out of anything it just only likes things that are signed.
The use of a bug in wii IOS allowed a secondary signature to be used that also passed IOS software signature check.
Iphones were locked from accessing certain areas of the IOS by the use of an Itunes "jail". As in a block from accessing. (not just a signature validation) Thus the term "jailbreak". Same applies to the ps4 (oops ps3) in terms of being locked out of onboard software. There is no magic software on the wii or wii u a user is being locked out of. Simply signatures and keys prevent unsigned things from running on the wii /wii u platform.

Last edited by FaTaL_ErRoR,

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, if he is talking about the vWii then yes, it could be considered jailbroken. He does have the CIOS installed (which is why the seller refused to honor his warranty), and that was what his original message stated.

In the EU (European Union), or at least the Netherlands, the most companies deny the law. Search for European Union and law modifying devices and you'll find links that the company needs to prove it is because of modifying else they must repair the device for free. They'll deny this, but then you must send them a link to the EU article and say, that if they keep denying it, you'll go to a lawyer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, your very own quote only proves my point further as it states that is a now a more generalized term. In any case, it is a concept regardless of what you call it. Nothing about running software in "virtual jails."

In the EU the law says that modding doesn't void warranty, including jailbreaking of devices, unless they prove it's the fault of the modified software

Trumpz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
No, the term jailbreak is used when a limitation is set on the software. As in locked in or out of an area.
With the wii you aren't really locked out of anything it just only likes things that are signed.
The use of a bug in wii IOS allowed a secondary signature to be used that also passed IOS software signature check.
Iphones were locked from accessing certain areas of the IOS by the use of an Itunes "jail". As in a block from accessing. (not just a signature validation) Thus the term "jailbreak". Same applies to the ps4 (oops ps3) in terms of being locked out of onboard software. There is no magic software on the wii or wii u a user is being locked out of. Simply signatures and keys prevent unsigned things from running on the wii /wii u platform.

In any case, the point I was making was that when jailbroken, nothing is ran in a sandbox, or virtual OS as totalinsanity was insisting. Also, what you have described as "Simply signatures and keys prevent unsigned things from running" is the same idea that is used for PS3 CFW. It is actually made from OFW, with the exception of unlocking the syscalls and various other things such as peek and poke support (This is/has/sometimes called jailbreaking). If the same idea applies to BOTH Wii and PS3 then I can only conclude that jailbreaking and hacking are one and the same. Also, the term jailbroken is not limited to only iOS/Apple. As the article, which I have provided explains that. It in itself is a pretty generalized term. Also, technically if the kernel is being exploited/patched, then as the article describes, then this too is jailbreaking. Because, technically we ARE LOCKED OUT of kernel access (nothing to do with software) for anything other than legitimate purposes coded by Nintendon't. Nothing to do with "magic software" we are locked out of. Just the kernel.

Last edited by Trumpz,

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What they had to do:
-> Proof the damage was from me
What they did:
-> Just say its my fault without analysing the console or sth.

What i had to do then:
-> Go to a lawyer and win the fight.

Im not risking loosing the fight and paying the costs, but im just rid of it now.

Me 0:1 They
If someone is smart in these things, how can i let it be repaired?
Just replace the input, or could something else be damaged?

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
The console is your, you can install whatever you want (whatever you like, you pay the money, you take your choice - oh, no, this is another story). They can't say if you played pirated games

myunholysins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @Der_Blockbuster It seems i had a lot of the same problems you had with the hdmi and wii u problem, that you have now. I did end up fixing them though. Let me know if you still have it or already sent it back. If not and you still have it maybe i can help you out.

myunholysins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I just wanna point out, that nobody is really in fault here. This was a common problem when the wii u came out. i got the wii u on day one and had this problem 4 months in to its cycle and a lot of other people did to at that time. im gonna see if i can find some of the older forums on it. Also its kinda hard to tell what op is going through because he doesn't put to much info on whats actually wrong, seeing on how he said in his first post it was vwii, or im assuming the wii menu which wont pop up. So i also dont know if he can access the wii u menu fine or if the game pad is turning on at all. So more information would help out a lot, because honestly the store is probably not gonna fix it, Nintendo isnt gonna fix it and if you try to put out a civil lawsuit on your local game store, theres a great chance it will fall through. I mean ya its shitty but thats how life is sometimes. but if you give me a little time and more info, we can get this up and running today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    +1
    Gonna look into that when I get home
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep: