LuxBrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I'd like to express my gratitude and say a big thank you for all the great work in making these tools to help fix all of the failing Wii Us. Your efforts are truly appreciated. I am reaching out today because I am looking for someone who can help me repair my friend's Wii U.

My friend's system was giving the 160-0103 and 160-0130 memory errors for most of their games. So I deleted the games from the system memory, copied the save files to a USB drive, and re-downloaded them onto the USB drive. After everything but one game was working, for some reason, I thought it was a good idea to copy one game back to the system memory. That's when the whole system froze up during the copy, and now it doesn't work. After the system crashed, nothing appears on the screen. The system turns on, the blue light shows normally, and the disc drive works, but there is no display on the TV or gamepad.

I don't need the Wii U to be fully operational; it just needs to be functional enough to extract the otp.bin and the seeprom.bin files so I can decrypt and recover the save files from the USB drive formatted by this Wii U.

I've gotten two answers so far on what can be done to fix this Wii U.

One is to use the NAND-Aid tool to copy the eMMC to an SD card and then fix the corrupted file system.

The other option I've been told is to use NAND-Aid and de_fuse together to get the system working or use just de_fuse to copy the otp.bin and seeprom.bin files for USB drive decryption.

I am willing to pay for this service, as I understand that it requires specialized skills and components. Ideally, I would prefer someone based in the US to work on this for me because of the cost of shipping, and I feel hesitant about international shipping right now.

I have also reached out to a repair shop to see if they can handle this type of repair, but I haven't received a response yet. If you are able to assist me with this, please let me know. Thank you.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
The first thing to try would be to see if you can run the Recovery Menu with UDPIH. That by itself can dump otp and seeprom and doesn't require any soldering.

Without a display the timing may be a little tricky, but just plugging it in about a second after the drive stops spinning seems to work for me.

Even if the recovery menu doesn't output video either, you can still navigate it; to dump the OTP and Seeprom, you'd press EJECT twice and then press POWER.

If the Recovery Menu cannot be run, then, yes, de-fuse would be the fastest way to get a dump of OTP/Seeprom.

The process of fixing the WiiU back into a working state is more involved, though:
If the recovery menu can be run, then you can use the Recovery Menu NAND Dumper to get a mlc backup, which then can be flashed to an SD card and installed using NAND-Aid. Once the NAND is replaced, you can then reinstall the corrupted files with recovery menu.

Otherwise, if the recovery menu cannot be run, you'd have to do the mlc backup via hardmod. Installing it to an SD card might get recovery menu booting again, from which, again, you can reinstall the corrupted files.

If recovery menu doesn't boot even after installing an SD card as a NAND replacement, then de-fuse is your best bet, writing back a backup of both SLC and MLC. Although as far as I know, you still need SLC and MLC backups from the same WiiU right now - so if you don't have a set backed up, you'd have to wait for newer de-fuse releases.

Last edited by skawo,
Reactions: SDIO

LuxBrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first thing to try would be to see if you can run the Recovery Menu with UDPIH. That by itself can dump otp and seeprom and doesn't require any soldering.

Without a display the timing may be a little tricky, but just plugging it in about a second after the drive stops spinning seems to work for me.

Even if the recovery menu doesn't output video either, you can still navigate it; to dump the OTP and Seeprom, you'd press EJECT twice and then press POWER.
Thank you for the reply. I have tried UDPH many times and was unable to get it to work. I forgot to mention this in my post. Thank you for suggesting it.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If your goal is to get the console working again, then NAND-AID is your best bet. You would use it to first creating an Image of the eMMC and then it will take an SD as a replacement where you wrote your Image to.
My Wii U had similar history. And died like users during writing to the eMMC. That gives a good chance that the eMMC went read only, like mine and that's preventing the Wii U. So the data on the eMMC might still be in a good enough state to get your console booting again or at least far enough that it can be fixed with UDPIH, after the eMMC is replaced.

If that fails, you can still use de-fuse to get the OTP and SEEPROM.

If you don't have soldering experience get some scrap board and practice there.

Reactions: LuxBrush

LuxBrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your goal is to get the console working again, then NAND-AID is your best bet. You would use it to first creating an Image of the eMMC and then it will take an SD as a replacement where you wrote your Image to.
My Wii U had similar history. And died like users during writing to the eMMC. That gives a good chance that the eMMC went read only, like mine and that's preventing the Wii U. So the data on the eMMC might still be in a good enough state to get your console booting again or at least far enough that it can be fixed with UDPIH, after the eMMC is replaced.

If that fails, you can still use de-fuse to get the OTP and SEEPROM.

If you don't have soldering experience get some scrap board and practice there.
Thank you for your reply, but I must admit that I have no experience with hardware repairs. I am not confident in my ability to perform the necessary tasks, such as replacing the eMMC or soldering components. My main goal is to find someone who has the expertise and can handle the repair for me. I am willing to pay for the service, considering the specialized skills and components involved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HoTuan @ HoTuan: how to mod switch ?