Wii U ranking jumps over 875% on Amazon UK after Xbox One announcement

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a matter of coming up with ideas, it's a matter of paying people to even just do minimaps and all that shit when every other console just requires the engine to be moved since all the controls are the same.

Plus it's so fucking annoying when you're forced to use a "feature". Like the shoehorned motion controls on almost every goddamn Wii game made most ports just the absolute worse. I don't want to take a break from my game to do a stupid minigame sequence on my touchscreen.

The issue is that people shouldn't have to be forced into developing useless, "new" features for the Wii U because Nintendo made a bad choice with make a giant touchscreen controller. People criticize Microsoft and Sony's motion control peripherals for example but at least they're segregated. I'm not forced to use them in most of my games, hell a lot of Move titles (like inFamous 2, Killzone, etc) work just as well with a controller.
yes because none of the sports game have a mini map already made right? because its so hard to code it so it would just copy part of the screen into the game pad?

fuck it, they don't even have to use any feature, they can even just put a jpg with the EA symbol in it for all I care, no one forces them to use it, they want to.

its like saying that every developer was forced to use the touch screen in the DS, when clearly that's a lie, there are even games where the second screen just has a static image and all the touch screen does is continue the text boxes...

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Face it kids, in sales Wii U still behind of many unsuccessful video games like PS Vita, Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. When Wii U reach 20M sales, then you post celebrations.

(I put PS Vita on list because many guys here talking that Wii U is strong, talk that Vita is shit.)

By the way, on may Vita sold around 112k and WiiU around 81k, so don't tell shit like "Vita had a head start that's why is ahead of Wii U"
Unlike those systems the Wii U haven't had exclusive games beyond the three or so titles it had at launch, Nintendo are purposely delaying their games and announcements. As stated in interviews they don't want to push the console in terms of advertisement and other costs until their own games are done, they know exclusives are crucial to get a new system off the ground. It's obvious they released it early because of holiday sales, usable devkits were only available 6 months prior to that and things like firmwares fixing major issues with the OS were just released.
We can't call it dead until we've seen them at least try to market it with some games. I'm actually surprised it has managed to sell this much on what seems to be brand recognition alone, I mean as much as I like many of Nintendo's games the Wii U still has a to show a lot more before I could even consider buying one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK and I'll be glad if somebody corrects me on this, the gamepad feature is ONE click during the development process. Its basically instead of "output this feature to TV" you do "output this feature on gamepad" so there is zero additional cost involved. As said, you don't have to use it, off TV play is a built in feature you don't have to code for anyways and if all else fails you display a logo and a hud or whatever on the display.

It's always the same with real innovation, there are people who hate it and in a few years its standard. I remember my parents tell me how ridiculous HDTVs are that the picture is ugly and smears and whatnot. I remember my parents telling me that my grandparents made fun of color TV since nobody wants to see those actors in color, it takes away the magic of it.

And I remember reading a book about the history of film where everybody was like: who needs sound in movies? actors should act, not talk.
Or in gaming, when I heard people complain about 3D gaming on the PS1 and N64 and how it ruins gaming. I remember people complaining about voice acting, takes away from the immersion of creating a voice for the character in your head.

and then there was the DS. who needs a touchscreen anyway?

Game companies can and do spend time to doing screen scale testing/screen testing ( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-hdmi ), controller lag testing and more. Though we do also have things like http://www.1up.com/news/capcom-responds-dead-rising-sdtv it is not all of them. It might be one click to add it but I would place serious money against it being "one click and ship it".

3d -- how many PS1 and N64 titles have truly stood the test of time*? Given 2d was doing amazingly at this point I will then have to compare it to things there. Beyond that 3d cameras are still things I have to control and early 3d cameras were often game breakingly bad. Given size limits of early games reducing things to catchphrase and the rather suspect nature of game voice actor hiring it (there are some great talks on youtube, http://gbatemp.net/threads/densetsus-translation-toolbox.311523/#post-3982042 being one of them I believe).

*and of those how much is the gameplay the thing that carried it through, that it was not necessarily 3d or used a nice art style and how many would do so much better for a respin on modern consoles (Perfect Dark N64 vs the XBLA version being a prime example).

"HDTV" To be fair the first attempts were pretty bad, compared to PAL a 720p (or worse 720i) signal is basically no different (and thus worthy of mistrust by those that have been sold "new" tech before). Also though the original xbox was probably the first console to fumble with it one need only look at the last few years and all the upscaling, lower frame rates (though I still contend 30fps is quite fine for most things), workarounds and whatever else was done to keep the current consoles chugging along. I am not sure if time will tell here as it did for the early 3d but I would not be surprised if history repeats itself.

DS touchscreen. Given the shear amount of gimmicks and forced touchscreen sections (the first castlevania for the DS....) it saw created during the first year or three it is not so unbelievable to the casual observer. I love it for menus and name entry and notice an absence of it on consoles, however most of its true benefits seem to have been in creating a different class of games (though there is no argument some amazing stuff happened there) or at best emulating a trackball/rotary dial to bring back some nice arcade stuff.

Unlike those systems the Wii U haven't had exclusive games beyond the three or so titles it had at launch, Nintendo are purposely delaying their games and announcements. As stated in interviews they don't want to push the console in terms of advertisement and other costs until their own games are done, they know exclusives are crucial to get a new system off the ground. It's obvious they released it early because of holiday sales, usable devkits were only available 6 months prior to that and things like firmwares fixing major issues with the OS were just released.
We can't call it dead until we've seen them at least try to market it with some games. I'm actually surprised it has managed to sell this much on what seems to be brand recognition alone, I mean as much as I like many of Nintendo's games the Wii U still has a to show a lot more before I could even consider buying one.

I can not decide upon a single response so I will go with both.

So they blew their load early and wow that is some world class apologist talk (not on your part mind you)/back-pedalling. History may note things differently (the DS' first year was pretty bad, the 3ds is still not doing that well and for my money is doing worse than the DS) but we are not looking back and presently living through it I see no issue with being merciless.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if we are going to be ass picking about the amazon rank, it should be noted that its not sales overall but only the black premium package

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Title fixed.

I hope you're happy now, Foxi4... you and your Sony agenda! :angry: ...Just kidding, obviously :P

It was ambiguous. Amazon UK Sales =/= Worldwide Sales. Besides, it's a ranking, not actual sales - I'd wager it wouldn't be the first time Amazon bumps stuff to the top of the list to empty their warehouses of dust-covered junk.

...Just kidding, obviously. :P

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I can not decide upon a single response so I will go with both.

So they blew their load early and wow that is some world class apologist talk (not on your part mind you)/back-pedalling. History may note things differently (the DS' first year was pretty bad, the 3ds is still not doing that well and for my money is doing worse than the DS) but we are not looking back and presently living through it I see no issue with being merciless.
Given the sheer size of the company they know they were capable of pulling something like this off, it's a risk that I don't think panned out exactly as they wanted it to. Once again they were counting on 3rd parties to make the initial move just like with the 3DS, that kind of support just won't come for Nintendo until they've established a market for the system. Rayman Legends got delayed, a few other games got cancelled and EA stopped all Wii U development for the time being. Because of the turn of events and delays of Nintendo's own software Iwata has straight out said that he's sorry for the lack of games on the system.
Saying that the company has tried and failed is pretty unfair when they only have 3-4 games for it, the system isn't on right track by any means but saying that it will fail with that degree of certainty seems somewhat biased to me.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS and XB fanboys are gonna hate on Nintendo no matter what... There's no point in arguing with close minded simpletons. That said, Nintendo are and always have been innovators in creating new ways to experience gaming... Playstation Move, need I say more?
the same could be said for nintendo fanboys :rolleyes:

and that's cute about the move, perhaps you should watch this video from 2004

sony was doing this years before the wii was even announced

Reactions: Foxi4 and chavosaur

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait until this is release... WiiU sales will be high.

Because a niche JRPG title is totally what it takes to turn a console's sales around, right?

The game may do well for its genre, but if you're thinking it'll make a serious dent, you are expecting too much. Putting all of your hopes into one or two titles is a recipe for disaster.

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what is this .gif actually from?
ibdQmIMLchKQjB.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It was ambiguous. Amazon UK Sales =/= Worldwide Sales. Besides, it's a ranking, not actual sales - I'd wager it wouldn't be the first time Amazon bumps stuff to the top of the list to empty their warehouses of dust-covered junk.

...Just kidding, obviously. :P
I just noticed I kept "sales" in the title. I thought I removed it. Anyway, fixed. I guess it's fine now :D

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1