Wii U Questions (RedNand,DSWare?,vWii)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by drnkbeer, Dec 15, 2016.

1. drnkbeer
    OP

drnkbeer Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2016
    Hi all,
    I've been so immersed in 3DS gaming that I forgot about my Wii U entirely, come back to it and all this amazing progress has been made, and I really want to get my Wii U sorted, I updated to 5.5.1 from 5.5.0 . So I've been reading this thread (https://gbatemp.net/threads/hacking-the-wiiu-a-simple-progress-guide.338900/). I am thinking of performing the RedNAND solution using iAqua's steps. Though I have seen conflicting information.

Do/Should you have purchased a DS title in order to gut it and essentially make it run HBL from the menu rather than the internet browser equivalent as I'm lead to believe there is no way to just boot straight into RedNAND? (Perhaps this information is outdated)

Do you need the system config tool? I saw someone say you don't need it

Is it as simple as it was on the Wii console to download/backup and run games? Is there stuff that I should know? I've seen information regarding tickets? Is that for downloadable games/content or? I don't intend on playing online at all

What Homebrew applications would people recommend?

Can I hack the Wii U with RedNAND and also hack the virtual Wii console on the same console (probably a stupid question as I'm pretty sure they're two technically different systems and it should be fine, just want to check)

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated.

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You should install rednand as that lets you install games to homemenu.

You can use the online hack but most recommend the DS offline hack

System Config Tool isn't needed because a free homebrew does the same but System Config Tool has a nice GUI.

You have to download the games and install to usb/system memory. No drag and drop. Also your hdd is formatted so only the wii u can read it

You can install rednand on your wii u and hack sysnand's vwii but you can't launch vwii on rednand.

drnkbeer likes this.
  3. drnkbeer
    OP

drnkbeer Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2016

Great that's fantastic information. Answered every one of my points, i appreciate it, concise and to the point.
    I guess i'll do the DS hack it'll keep the sysNAND from accidentally updating via System Update as that's always a worry.
    So if i'm getting you, you download the titles however you're going to download them, put them onto the SD card, put into the console and install them onto either the internal storage or a dedicated Wii U External HD?

Thanks for the help. I'll start the process off tomorrow I think,

FlappyFalco likes this.
  4. Zekamon

Zekamon Now with extra salt!

Sep 16, 2016
    Germany
    I would rather not use RedNAND because you need to have a SD double the size of your SysNAND. Also the vWii won't work.

I would recommend you looking into CFWs and Coldboot Haxchi. Works perfectly. I could install DLCs and eShop games just fine.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk