• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 19,195
  • Replies 43
  • Likes 1
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
This is just going to be a somewhat simple comparison of the two as to which one is the better controller (spoiler alert: Switch Pro Controller).

fOxOABG.png

For the most part, they are pretty much the same except the Switch Pro Controller (SPC -- cool acronym) has the right analogue stick placed correctly, grips are much better to hold and more comfy, despite still being digital triggers they are more ergonomic to press.

The SPC controller comes bundled with cool & new technology like HD Rumble (the only really new one, I think), gyroscope, motion controls and an NFC reader (for amiibos). Another difference between the two, is that the shell of the SPC is black-but-transparent whereas the WUPC is full-on glossy black, not to forget, the SPC controller has a Share Button just like the PS4 controller does, too.

Wii U Pro Controller lasts as much as 80 hours but it's not known how long the battery life of the Switch Pro Controller is, it should be relatively the same or near it. And speaking of the WUPC, the WUPC is an extremely light-weight controller and the SPC is too, in my opinion.

Another thing I want to bring up is that the SPC controller is amazingly close to being like a "younger brother" of the Xbox One because of how extremely similar they are.

XzRQLM1.png

American RRP Prices of PS4/XO/NS/WU controllers:
  • PS4 - $59.99
  • Xbox One - $59.99
  • Switch - $69.99
  • Wii U - $49.99
The Switch Pro Controller is only a tad more more expensive than PS4/XO controllers are (by the difference of $10) and whether this is Nintendo overcharging or due to the technology, only someone that knows how much the hardware would be able to tell. Honestly, just for $10 it shouldn't be a big deal, frankly.

Goes without saying, if you are going to be a SPC owner then take good care of it! It sure as hell ain't a cheap controller to throw at your wall. :P

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goes without saying, if you are going to be a SPC owner then take good care of it! It sure as hell ain't a cheap controller to throw at your wall. :P
Better it than the whole Switch.:nayps3:

Nice write up. Put down $5 on one at Game Stop today. The gave me $130 store credit for a o3DS that was kid owned and kind of beat up.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pro controller is available again at Gamestop for NA, just to note.

Also here's a 4K@60 video comparing Switch and its controllers to older Nintendo hardware:

What really struck me is how great the screen looks. From pretty much every viewing angle.

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only controller I wish was compatible with the switch is that Wii u pro. Just so I wouldn't have to buy this updated one.

Reactions: 2Hack

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That see-through-black/grey makes it look very prototype-ish to me. Like if it was 3D-printed. I don't mind that it resembles the Xbox One controller, because I have one of those for my PC and it's really great. I used to like the PS1/2/3 controller, but the XB1 controller is heavenly ^^

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That see-through-black/grey makes it look very prototype-ish to me. Like if it was 3D-printed. I don't mind that it resembles the Xbox One controller, because I have one of those for my PC and it's really great. I used to like the PS1/2/3 controller, but the XB1 controller is heavenly ^^
I agree, it would look much better if it wasn't transparent. Looks pretty comfortable at least.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better it than the whole Switch.:nayps3:

Nice write up. Put down $5 on one at Game Stop today. The gave me $130 store credit for a o3DS that was kid owned and kind of beat up.

Gamestop is giving $130 store credit for a 3DS, damn I might just be able to afford that switch after all. I tried to trade in a DS lite a while back and all they give was $7 cash, told them I'd rather bury it out back before I did that.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop is giving $130 store credit for a 3DS XL, damn I might just be able to afford that switch after all. I tried to trade in a DS lite a while back and all they give was $7 cash, told them I'd rather bury it out back before I did that.
Yes they did. Here is the breakdown. $100 official trade + $25 3DS promotion listed on the trade in page of their site (expires 2/12) + $5 extra trade card they have up at the register. Be nice and the manager might give you one. Note this is store credit not cash. I think it is $10 less for the small 3DS.

I also want to get ride of my N3DS XL A9LH but will probably do better in eBay as GS will only give me $150. My kids have two more if I ever find the desire to use one.

All the fun tools available on this site have made all my carts and discs dust gatherers. Might as well sell them all and put it towards a Switch and games.

The amazing thing is that everyone talks about how Apple products hold their value but my 4 year old 64GB iPhone 5 that cost $850 new is worth at most $100, but a 4 year old O3DS XL that cost $199 is worth $130 and I can get nearly what I paid for my 2 year old N3DS XL on eBay. Crazy.

Last edited by thorasgar,

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've read some accounts from Pax and other events that it's easier to accidentally hit adjacent directions with this D-Pad. Which strikes me as odd considering Nintendo's track record with D-Pads. Since the D-Pad is the only reason I'd want one I think I'll hold off until launch maybe and see how that wired Hori controller fares.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes they did. Here is the breakdown. $100 official trade + $25 3DS promotion listed on the trade in page of their site (expires 2/12) + $5 extra trade card they have up at the register. Be nice and the manager might give you one. Note this is store credit not cash. I think it is $10 less for the small 3DS.
I'm assuming this is for N3DS XL? I have O3DS XL, not sure if it'd be worth trading in.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming this is for N3DS XL? I have O3DS XL, not sure if it'd be worth trading in.
4 year old O3DS XL with a big ass chip on the outside left hinge and the camera that when activated crashes the system forcing a reboot. (He never bothered to check that part.). I just put a 4GB mSD card with a cheap SD adapter in it. It was still running 9.2.

A N3DS XL should fetch $150. They did require the charger and a stylus on the O3DS, not sure if they will on the N3DS as it didn't come with one.

Go check the GS trade in page right now, it will give you the same price (except the $5 coupon at the register). $100 store credit + $25 bonus until 2/12.

The thing has been sitting in a box for 2 years since I bought the 3 N3DS XLs at launch. With the chip and broken camera I didn't think it would be worth much either so I never really gave it a thought until I became interested in a Switch.

Last edited by thorasgar,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
4 year old O3DS XL with a big ass chip on the outside left hinge and the camera that when activated crashes the system forcing a reboot. (He never bothered to check that part.). I just put a 4GB mSD card with a cheap SD adapter in it.

A N3DS XL should fetch $150. They did require the charger and a stylus on the O3DS, not sure if they will on the N3DS as it didn't come with one.

Go check the GS trade in page right now, it will give you the same price (except the $5 coupon at the register). $100 store credit + $25 bonus until 2/12.
Yeah it's showing $100, not the bonus $25 though. Hmm, tough call on this one. Could get me a pro controller and pre-order MK8 deluxe for that. Or get Civ 6. OTOH my 3DS is hacked of course, so it's a good emulation machine for all Gameboy revisions if nothing else. Then again, so is my phone, minus 3DS games. I'm just not sure how much I'll actually use it once Switch has built up a decent library.

Last edited by Xzi,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Its like comparing the PS2 controller to the PS3 controller. does it really matter?
It's just something cool to compare it to because both of these controllers are absolutely marvellous to play with. A shame that Nintendo skipped out on having analogue triggers (= no GC VC without them).

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night