Hacking Wii U on firmware 1.0.2 - should I update or not?

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I just picked up a Wii U which is still on firmware 1.0.2! (I almost accidentally updated it during setup by entering my internet settings, but when I realised it was on 1.0.2 I quickly deleted them)

Is it worth keeping this Wii U on 1.0.2, or should I update it? If I should update which firmware should I go to? (I read a while ago that 5.1.0 has an easier IOSU hack?)

Also would a NAND dump from this console be useful? Or do devs already have everything of interest from the early production firmwares?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
So I just picked up a Wii U which is still on firmware 1.0.2! (I almost accidentally updated it during setup by entering my internet settings, but when I realised it was on 1.0.2 I quickly deleted them)

Is it worth keeping this Wii U on 1.0.2, or should I update it? If I should update which firmware should I go to? (I read a while ago that 5.1.0 has an easier IOSU hack?)

Also would a NAND dump from this console be useful? Or do devs already have everything of interest from the early production firmwares?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Update to 5.2 imo

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This a joke topic? Anyways you can go to 5.5.1 as everything I know works.

IOSU exploit is only for 5.3.2 for the time being, many people including the main Wii U hackers have advised that 5.5.1 is not ideal or safe for future proof or future hacks, you can go to 5.3.2 and spoof 5.5.1.

Razor83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just remember reading that 5.1.0 had a potential IOSU exploit:-
https://nwert.wordpress.com/2016/05/03/ioctlvhax/
I dont know what became of that?

Also, I read a thread a while ago about dumping NAND from early 3DS models, as they contained some tickets/titles for factory tools still present on the NAND.
Would any tickets/titles be left on the Wii U NAND, or is the NAND 'wiped clean' after manufacturing?

Last edited by Razor83,

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iosu hax work fine on 551. everyone should just update, especially since another update could come along later and patch the (now publicly disclosed) vulns before a release is even fully prepared.

Reactions: loco365

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where'd you get this information from?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/

"EXPLOITABLE FW: 3.0.0, 3.1.0, 4.0.0, 4.1.0, 5.0.0, 5.1.0, 5.3.2, 5.4.0, 5.5.0, 5.5.1"

As far as the Wii U scene being "dead", that's debatable. Did people not say that beyond 5.3.2 was inadvisable? Why then is there the option to spoof firmware is 5.5.1 is so safe? I'm curious.
People need to seriously spreading false information that 5.3.2 is the only firmware that is going to have IOSU Exploit.

Source? I don't remember really seeing that 5.3.2+ was truly safe for potential future hacks?

Then again, I'm likely out of touch with the scene, I just remember them saying "don't update to 5.5.x" for the longest time, IDK .:unsure:

Last edited by the_randomizer,

loco365

Trophies
XP
iosu hax work fine on 551. everyone should just update, especially since another update could come along later and patch the (now publicly disclosed) vulns before a release is even fully prepared.
I can also back this myself, talking with a reliable source. Update to 5.5.1 via the internet while you can.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can also back this myself, talking with a reliable source. Update to 5.5.1 via the internet while you can.

Okay, so I was wrong, told you I haven't been following the scene at all. Can we still use the wiiubru self-hosted site that I have bookmarked? I mean, I'm already spoofed to 5.5.1, should I still do this? Where does it say we can safely update? Trying to find a thread. Not trying to be skeptical, but I'm just curious as to where this was posted, that's all.

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
2.0.0 to 5.5.1

- Userland (Public)
- PowerPC Kernel (Public)
- IOSU-Kernel (There's 3 of them, but isn't public)

So update to 5.5.1 my friend :)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.0.0 to 5.5.1

- Userland (Public)
- PowerPC Kernel (Public)
- IOSU-Kernel (There's 3 of them, but isn't public)

So update to 5.5.1 my friend :)

But why aren't these people able to cite where this information comes from? I'm trying to find out where this new originated and so far, no one has been able to tell or at least point me in the right direction, I don't want to update to 5.5.1 (not spoofed) and end up regretting it, so naturally, I'm a bit wary regrading doing so. I'm on spoofed 5.5.1 right now, could you point me to the origin of that info?

Jay Clay

Trophies
XP
Country

so, is the IOSU even real?, I mean is even somebody working at it? let alone release it?, I have my wii U collecting dust since I played chronicles X, I have this questions because last I knew about wii U scene is that 5.3.2 is the best firmware to stay.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, is the IOSU even real?, I mean is even somebody working at it? let alone release it?, I have my wii U collecting dust since I played chronicles X, I have this questions because last I knew about wii U scene is that 5.3.2 is the best firmware to stay.

Apparently we're wrong about 5.3.2 being the one to stay on, trouble is I can't find any kind of posts that state that to the contrary, other than word of mouth; what this means is using TubeHax would be pretty much useless, no?

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
But why aren't these people able to cite where this information comes from? I'm trying to find out where this new originated and so far, no one has been able to tell or at least point me in the right direction, I don't want to update to 5.5.1 (not spoofed) and end up regretting it, so naturally, I'm a bit wary regrading doing so. I'm on spoofed 5.5.1 right now, could you point me to the origin of that info?

OFC the IOSU hacks are real ...

The exploitable bug are here : http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Exploits
Then if you RE the firmware you can see that these bugs are existing, they have all been exploited yet, just not released :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OFC the IOSU hacks are real ...

The exploitable bug are here : http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Exploits
Then if you RE the firmware you can see that these bugs are existing, they have all been exploited yet, just not released :P

@NexoCube Maybe I need to repeat my question that I asked you earlier, where are people getting this info from? Where are people getting the whole "5.5.1 is safe for homebrew/hacks"? I can't find any information in the threads, and what this also means is that using Tubehax and the Nintendo server blacklist is moot, no? I really need to know where this information is posted.

Maybe I'll make a thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...