Hacking Wii U NOOB PARADISE - Ask & Answer questions here.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's probably not a big deal. the gamepad is like over half the cost of the system. if you were to brick and couldn't do the hard mod method, it'd probably be more prudent just to buy a new system. I'm sure the price of both would be nearly the same.

That's true, I see Wii U's sell for around $40 without a Gamepad on ebay frequently. At that price it's just less of a hassle to do that than to hardmod the Wii U and restore a backup. All the same, not even a problem. While one can brick their Wii U, as long as they follow the steps carefully when actually installing CBHC and the like, then there wont be any problems to worry about.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc, the mlc partition is optional. I think in the nand dumper, it has no selected for mlc by default. if you want the entire nand, it could take a while if using a 32GB system. it could take around 3 hours.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. Any firmware will work, but you'll probably have best results being on the latest
2. Don't worry, 5.5.4 is safe to hack
3. Wii U
4. Don't quote me on this, I don't remember offhand, but 32GB should probably be enough, there is a part where you backup your Wii U's NAND and I believe that potentially can be the biggest part of it, so if you have a lot of games saved to your Wii U's NAND, that might be where the need for a 64GB card could arise. But as I recall, 32 shouldbe plenty if your NAND is pretty empty.
5. Yes, just don't have your Wii U format that hard drive (it will ask if you want to format the drive if connected to the Wii U on the Wii U menu). You can mask your vWii hard drive with ustealth if you like to avoid this nag, or you can just opt to connect your hard drive when entering your vWii.

Anyway, if you're looking for where to start, just go here: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

Thanks for the answer. Will following that guide ;). I do have one more small question. Is a gamecube controller compatible in vwii to use on Gamecube games? I do have the official smash tab for wiiu.

Reactions: Alexander1970

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly with nintendont, but I'm not sure. I know the pro controller works with it. I don't know if that controller works for sure. are you talking about the smash controllers or an actual gamecube controller?

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
possibly with nintendont, but I'm not sure. I know the pro controller works with it. I don't know if that controller works for sure. are you talking about the smash controllers or an actual gamecube controller?

I'm talking about an actual gamecube controller used with the tab that was bundeled with smash bros on wiiu.

I like to play gamecube games with the original gamecube controller.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know there was something to use an actual cube controller with. I think as long as it has enough buttons, there's a good chance it works. if you try just using the wiimote, it will nag you to hook up the nunchuk. the sync light will have all four players illuminated if it doesn't work or there's not enough buttons with the controller you're using.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, "off topic," but I bought the entire set of character controllers for that. I like collecting controllers, 'cause I have the entire wiimote ones too:

1Dt8ou9.jpg

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know there was something to use an actual cube controller with. I think as long as it has enough buttons, there's a good chance it works. if you try just using the wiimote, it will nag you to hook up the nunchuk. the sync light will have all four players illuminated if it doesn't work or there's not enough buttons with the controller you're using.

btw, "off topic," but I bought the entire set of character controllers for that. I like collecting controllers, 'cause I have the entire wiimote ones too:

Those look great!!

So I read the complete guides on hacking wiiu and vwii. It looks no harder than hacking a wii. But I got a few more questions.
When everything is done. Is it true I can not install the same wad files for games I had on my wii? Like for example a wad file for N64 zelda will brick my vwii? Is this true? And if so do there exist files of those same games that do work and are safe to install? not asking where to get them. Just asking if they exist.

In vwii can I install a usb lodar gx forwarder/channel? So I don't need to go through the homebrew channel eacht time? And if so which on is compatible/safetoinstall on vwii?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
games should be safe. it's system wads you don't want to mess with, so get the game wads from a good source. I downloaded the entire wiiware database to my computer (all regions). I didn't install everything, but I've had zero problems with what I've installed. I think I got it on that iso site. you can install a forwarder channel to usb loader gx from the wii u menu. that's how I'm set up actually.

also, if you want a theme, you need to install it differently than you would with the wii. a wii theme will brick the vwii as well. I know this works, but it's outdated: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-custom-themes-in-vwii.476012/

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
games should be safe. it's system wads you don't want to mess with, so get the game wads from a good source. I downloaded the entire wiiware database to my computer (all regions). I didn't install everything, but I've had zero problems with what I've installed. I think I got it on that iso site. you can install a forwarder channel to usb loader gx from the wii u menu. that's how I'm set up actually.

also, if you want a theme, you need to install it differently than you would with the wii. a wii theme will brick the vwii as well. I know this works, but it's outdated: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-custom-themes-in-vwii.476012/

Yeah I still got the wad files from my wii install. So those should be safe I guess.

Install a forwader from the wiiu menu? Don't I need to install it on vwii (with homebrewchannel) and then launch it on vwii? Or is there an option like you said to launch from wiiu directly to usbloader GX in vwii mode?

I read about the wii themes bricking the vwii. But thanks for the heads up.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, it's a forwarder channel on the wii u side that will boot up usb loader gx on the vwii. I took precautions with the theme:
upload_2020-2-13_2-52-4.png

I saved the original theme and the blue theme, which I'm using.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, it's a forwarder channel on the wii u side that will boot up usb loader gx on the vwii. I took precautions with the theme: View attachment 196195

I saved the original theme and the blue theme, which I'm using.

Does this forwarder work in combination with the usb loader gx doll files being on the externall HDD? If so where to get it?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, here's what mine looks like (on the sd card). it's version 3.1272, which I think is the latest:
upload_2020-2-13_3-0-10.png

if you ever try neek, I recommend the usb be where the nands are. I've done just about every wii u hack, but I did a lot of reading beforehand, 'cause some things are a little risky. I have cube games on the sd card, and they work perfectly fine.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, here's what mine looks like (on the sd card). it's version 3.1272, which I think is the latest:

if you ever try neek, I recommend the usb be where the nands are. I've done just about every wii u hack, but I did a lot of reading beforehand, 'cause some things are a little risky. I have cube games on the sd card, and they work perfectly fine.

I will probably do the inverse. I will mainly use the wiiU to play Gamecube and Wii games, just to take advantage of the HDMI out the wiiu has. Then some few N64 games.

Outside of that I only need 3 WiiU games (2zelda games and Smash), so those will go on the SD card.

This way I can leave my wii/gc filled HDD connected.

I read that all this should be possible.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'll need to use ustealth on the vwii hdd or else the system will nag you. iirc, the system will only allow 2 hdds if you're copying from one drive to another. I think the system will restart if you decline. anyway, ustealth is very easy to use. it's an app on the pc.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you'll need to use ustealth on the vwii hdd or else the system will nag you. iirc, the system will only allow 2 hdds if you're copying from one drive to another. I think the system will restart if you decline. anyway, ustealth is very easy to use. it's an app on the pc.

Just read a bit about it. But this makes me wonder something. Will the stealthed drive work on my normal wii? Or will I need to unstealth it each time?

Also
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/
4. Either edit the source and compile the WiiFlow / CFG USB Loader / etc. to support a boot signature of 55AB yourself, or download one of these releases I've provided until support for the hidden drive is included in the various app's main trunks. These support both standard and 'hidden' drives:
- WiiFlow 4.2 (or higher) has support built in to the official release, thanks to Fix94! https://code.google.com/p/wiiflow/downloads/list
- USB Loader GX r1216 (and higher) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6a48l4qn0aa1h/
- CFG USBloader (based on 70 r63) http://tinyurl.com/cfgusb-ustealth

Is support for a hidden drive supported by default now? Or will moding usb Loader GX still be needed?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you mean one drive, I think mocha can do it, but the last time I read about this said that you need an encrypted hdd first just to index the content, so it defeats the purpose. I don't know if that's still true.

PuNKeMoN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all I've got a good question:

I bought my Wii U (Zelda Edition) used.
The original owner installed Wind Waker.
The original owner also linked his Nintendo Network ID. I have no way of finding his password. I want to delete the original owner's profile while keeping the Wind Waker game installed.
How can I go about doing that?

Still looking for the solution here, would anyone know how to delete a user aw/NNID and unknown password without deleting their purchased content?

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So with loadiine no longer being needed to run games. What is the best way to play N64 games on the wiiu? Like for example pokémon Stadium.

element6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Haven't tried Pokemon Stadium and highly doubt it will work properly due to Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 (NTSC U and PAL E) both being the source of tremendous aggravation for both emulator and flash cartridge developers over the years. Google Pokemon Stadium 2 SRAM.

The official Wii U N64 VC engine (emulator) does not have full support and only 21 N64 VC games were released for NTSC U and PAL E markets. Other than the N64 VC engine that Nintendo developed, your only option are forks of Mupen64 which have all been abandoned at this point.

Several forum members are working on tools and documentation to inject other N64 titles into an official Wii U N64 VC title and the necessary configs for each game that they were able to get working.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-phacoxs-injector-nes-snes-n64-gba-nds-for-wii-u.554521/
https://gbatemp.net/entry/wiiu-n64-virtual-console-research.15301/

Full library compatibility is very unlikely in the future and you are better off emulating the N64 on other platforms if you value higher resolution rendering and greater compatibility. All that said, this is a perfect excuse to install for example, an UltraHDMI mod into your real N64.

Last edited by element6,

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't tried Pokemon Stadium and highly doubt it will work properly due to Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 (NTSC U and PAL E) both being the source of tremendous aggravation for both emulator and flash cartridge developers over the years. Google Pokemon Stadium 2 SRAM.

The official Wii U N64 VC engine (emulator) does not have full support and only 21 N64 VC games were released for NTSC U and PAL E markets. Other than the N64 VC engine that Nintendo developed, your only option are forks of Mupen64 which have all been abandoned at this point.

Several forum members are working on tools and documentation to inject other N64 titles into an official Wii U N64 VC title and the necessary configs for each game that they were able to get working.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-phacoxs-injector-nes-snes-n64-gba-nds-for-wii-u.554521/
https://gbatemp.net/entry/wiiu-n64-virtual-console-research.15301/

Full library compatibility is very unlikely in the future and you are better off emulating the N64 on other platforms if you value higher resolution rendering and greater compatibility. All that said, this is a perfect excuse to install for example, an UltraHDMI mod into your real N64.

Except when you still had to hack the wkk with your browser over and over again and we need to use loadiine pokemon stadium games worked perfectly fine. So yeah...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: im new