Hardware Wii U Noob, I Have Some Questions

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, here I am. I'm finally joining the dark side and will be getting a Wii U this week. With that said, the console will be my secondary with my OUYA being my primary. I'm actually a bit excited because I want to love Nintendo again and I hope Mario Kart is the beginning of that. OK now on to my questions because I dont want to screw anything up. Just note that in regards to Nintendo consoles and my questions I'm migrating from a modded Wii to a soon to be modded vWii.

There's a high chance that once I get past the Wii U setup I'll do the hackmii install most likely followed by the Wii to vWii transfer tool

1) If the transfer tool deletes what's on the Wii could I simply perform a BootMii backup, run the transfer tool and then restore with BootMii?

2) I know that the transfer tool migrates save files but what about WiiWare and Virtual Console games?Will the online check block any "downloaded" VC and WW games from being transferred over?

3) If I were to install the WAD for the photo channel, will it still work on Wii U?

4) How does Nintendont handle save files on Wii U? On the Wii it's always requesting a memory card in which, my physical memory card is worthless on Wii U.

5) I know that SDXC cards work on Wii but has anyone tried one for WiiWare loading from the SD menu or for Nintendont?

6) When you load a GameCube game from USB Loader GX via Nintendont, is the .dol loading process supposed to automatically start or are you supposed to navigate once you're in the Nintendont menu?

7) Do you still need to have two hard drives, one for vWii and one for Wii U or can you now use separate partitions?

I think that's it. The only other thing I need to figure out is the best way to use my GameCube controllers in regards to Nintendont on vWii. I LOVE my GameCube controllers and refuse to stop using them :P -as always, thank you all for your answers :)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Before anything else, get some good games for your Wiiu.
Basicly anything released will do.

The Wiiu really is a exceptional piece of gear and all games are awesome.
I own almost all games released, all of them are quality games.

DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE AND NEVER BUY FROM THE NINTENDO SHOP.

If managed to get all my games at budget prices going as low as 7,50 euro
A lot of games will be around 20 euro or so.

Here is holland we have great community called budget gaming.nl.

http://www.budgetgaming.nl/

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before anything else, get some good games for your Wiiu.
Basicly anything released will do.

The Wiiu really is a exceptional piece of gear and all games are awesome.
I own almost all games released, all of them are quality games.

DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE AND NEVER BUY FROM THE NINTENDO SHOP.

If managed to get all my games at budget prices going as low as 7,50 euro
A lot of games will be around 20 euro or so.

Here is holland we have great community called budget gaming.nl.

http://www.budgetgaming.nl/

The only platforms I nearly pay full price for are OUYA and Android but that's because many games are already so low. I'll buy Mario Kart at full price but mostly because of the free game. Thing is, I'm not sure if I want to get a physical copy from Wal-Mart for the free Wii Wheel or just a digital copy. -I would like to keep my entire game library in digital form. My biggest worry is the migration of my Wii save files and Wii Ware games. I don't want to be spending a day and a half installing .wad files :( a lesser worry of mine is figuring out a way to use my GameCube controllers on my Wii U via Nintendont.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to bump this thread but right now, I really need to know this...

7) Do you still need to have two hard drives, one for vWii and one for Wii U or can you now use separate partitions?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hate to bump this thread but right now, I really need to know this...

AFAIK yes. You can hide the vWii partition so that the console won't nag for format, but you would still need another drive since the WiiU formats the whole drive instead of just a part of it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (currently doing fine with my 32GB internal space)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK yes. You can hide the vWii partition so that the console won't nag for format, but you would still need another drive since the WiiU formats the whole drive instead of just a part of it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (currently doing fine with my 32GB internal space)

Is it possible to format for Wii U first and then add the WBFS stuff on the same partition?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question. Once you insert your password (for the first time upon opening your Nintendo Network connected profile) do you have to do it every time you open your profile for daily play?

anon3536

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question. Once you insert your password (for the first time upon opening your Nintendo Network connected profile) do you have to do it every time you open your profile for daily play?

no, you can go in settings and make it keep you logged in but that enables others to use your profile as well so its your choice

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, you can go in settings and make it keep you logged in but that enables others to use your profile as well so its your choice
That's perfect. The only people playing with the console will be my wife and me. I have no gamepad and none of the games I plan to play in the interim require the gamepad. As long as I can bypass this issue I'm good. I just hope that the browser supports the Wii Remote and a USB keyboard.

anon3536

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also:

2) no, they wont transfer
3) never install a wad that is not compiled specifically for vwii, it can, and most likely, in ever case, will brick your vwii, if it changes anything in the system from being what it originally is and it does not say it supports vwii, i wouldnt even bother it

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also:

2) no, they wont transfer
3) never install a wad that is not compiled specifically for vwii, it can, and most likely, in ever case, will brick your vwii, if it changes anything in the system from being what it originally is and it does not say it supports vwii, i wouldnt even bother it
With that said, do you think WiiWare and VC wads are safe?

anon3536

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With that said, do you think WiiWare and VC wads are safe?

again, as stated in my previous post, if it has been recompiled for vwii, then yes, otherwise no, there are tutorials for doing it yourself but if you dont trust yourself 100% or at least dont care for a brick then i wouldnt do it, iv just kept all my stuff on my wii and only wad i ever installed on vwii was the homebrew channel forwarder in order to fix the aspect ratio, otherwise i run everything in the emulators

edit: main issue is tho that its near impossible, without experience or help from one with it, to repair a bricked vwii, tho it will do nothing to your wii u menu soooo, your choice

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOah, you don't own a gamepad?
Your Wii U should have come with one...

lol It's called, buying it refurbished.

-also, I'm having a hell of a time getting smash stack to work on my Wii U. Any tutorials I can find, better yet, if anyone has a RAR of their smash stack card, that would be awesome

anon3536

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol It's called, buying it refurbished.

-also, I'm having a hell of a time getting smash stack to work on my Wii U. Any tutorials I can find, better yet, if anyone has a RAR of their smash stack card, that would be awesome

if you have done it before its the same, if not its pretty simple, put files on sd card, make sure all the custom stages are gone, there should be none left at all without the sd card in, then back out of custom stage builder, insert sd card, go back in and it should crash then your good to install hbc

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have done it before its the same, if not its pretty simple, put files on sd card, make sure all the custom stages are gone, there should be none left at all without the sd card in, then back out of custom stage builder, insert sd card, go back in and it should crash then your good to install hbc
Thanks for that. I had the hackmii elf file in the wrong place and not on the SD card root. All that's left after following the vWii softmod tutorial is

1) transfer my save files. Wish there was a better way than the official transfer tool

2) install my WiiWare wads

3) find vWii compatible forwarders for USB Loader GX and WiiMC

anon3536

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that. I had the hackmii elf file in the wrong place and not on the SD card root. All that's left after following the vWii softmod tutorial is

1) transfer my save files. Wish there was a better way than the official transfer tool

2) install my WiiWare wads

3) find vWii compatible forwarders for USB Loader GX and WiiMC

just make sure the wads are for vwii, cant stress that enough, and theres a post that links to a topic that has all of the converted forwarders ill go look for it and update this post in a few with it if i can find it

EDIT: http://gbatemp.net/threads/forwarders-are-back.340226/ there you go

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies