Tutorial  Updated

Wii U - Nintendo DS – Virtual Console Inject Guide

Wii U - Nintendo DS – Virtual Console Inject Guide

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THE GAME YOU EDIT BRICKS YOUR Wii U WHEN YOU INSTALL IT ONTO YOUR Wii U!
FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AT YOU OWN RISK!

Most of these tools and software are designed to only work on a Windows Operating System.

Your Wii U must be setup to run the custom firmware. I recommend following this guide: https://wiiu.guide/

You will need the following files and software installed:
- "Wii U NDS Inject" files
- Nintendo DS ROM (.nds)
- Wii U Common Key (.bin) or (ASCII Text)
- Notepad++
- Paint.net
- 7-zip

To extract the "Wii U - NDS - VC Inject.zip" files, right click on the file and select: 7-Zip > Extract to "Wii U NDS Inject\"

A folder called "Wii U NDS Inject" will have been created which contains these folders:
1.png

Make sure the extensions for the files are NOT hidden! To confirm this, search and open "File Explorer Options".

Click “View”, locate “Hide extensions for known file types” in the "Advanced setting:" and make sure it is unticked.
2.png

Since the Nintendo DS is a region free device, it means you can inject any Nintendo DS (.nds) rom you like, regardless of the Game ID inside the game. However, some games will run the game in the required language that is based on the language that has been set in the BIOS. This option was mainly used in European releases, but there are American and Japan releases that do this as well.

The Wii U is setup in a similar way to the original Nintendo DS, and will use the required language that is set in the Wii U settings:
- Japanese = Japanese
- English = English
- French = French
- German = German
- Spanish = Spanish
- Italian = Italian
- Dutch = English
- Portuguese = English
- Russian = English

I would recommend checking https://www.advanscene.com/ for more information about the required games, including the languages the game supports (it doesn’t tell you the method of how it loads the language, but you can easily find out by using the DS Emulator).

Beware that not all Nintendo DS roms are going to work, or require a certain game for the rom to be injected into. A compatibility list can be found here, which will give you an idea on what has been tested.

ROM hacks are also compatible (providing the unmodified ROMs don’t have issues). I would advise that if there is an "Official Wii U - Nintendo DS" release, then inject the ROM hack into that version.

If you have found Wii U Common Key as plain ASCII text instead of a ".bin" file, then paste that key into a Hex Editor (there should be 16 bytes) and save the file as "ckey.bin".

1. Open folder: FunKiiUNETThingy (V1.2)
  2. Double click: FunKiiUNETThingy.exe
    3.png
  3. In the textbox below the That Key Site URL text, enter the name of the website that contains a list of the Wii U Title Keys. Due to copyright reasons, you will have to find the website yourself.
    4.png
  4. Click Download / Update titlekeys json files button.
    5.png
  5. Click Load/Reload Data from titlekeys json button. A list of titles you can download should appear!
    6.png
  6. In the Search textbox, enter the Nintendo DS game you want to download (click here to see a list of Nintendo DS games that were released on the Wii U). Then click the Search button to find the game.
    7.png
    Note: If you want to find the Japanese version of the Nintendo DS game, you may have to enter the required Japanese characters. For example, to find the Japanese version of Metroid Prime Hunters, you must enter: メトロイドプライム ハンターズ
    7a.png
  7. Double click on the Nintendo DS game that you want to download (it's recommended you download the game for your Wii U's Region, otherwise the Electronics Manual will not open if the region doesn’t match). This will add the title to the Title Queue list.
    8.png
  8. Click the DOWNLOAD button to download the game. Check the Download Progress to view the current progress (it will take around 5 minutes to download).
    9.png
  9. Once the title has finished downloading, the name will disappear from the Title Queue list.
    10.png
  10. Close FunKiiUNETThingy.
  11. Open folder: FunKiiUNETThingy (V1.2) > install
    The game you downloaded should have been saved in that folder. Double click on that folder.
    11.png
  12. The required encrypted files for the Nintendo DS game you downloaded should be in that folder.
    12.png

1. Open folder: CDecrypt
  2. Copy the Wii U Common Key.bin into the CDecrypt folder.
  3. Rename the Wii U Common Key.bin file to: ckey.bin
    13.png
  4. Copy all of the four files from the CDecrypt folder into the folder with the game you downloaded (the one with which has the encrypted files).
    14.png
  5. Open: CDecrypt.bat
  6. A Command Prompt will pop up to show the progress of the files being extracted. Once the files have been extracted, press any key to close the Command Prompt.
    15.png
  7. In the same folder, three new folders will have been created (code, content, and meta).
    16.png
  8. Copy the whole Nintendo DS game folder that contains the three new folders to the following folder: PhacoxsInjector > nds
    17.png
  9. Inside the game folder you just copied, you can delete all of the files, leaving only the code, content, and meta folders.
    18.png

This section will involve inserting a modified configuration.json file. Two new screen settings have been added.

Nintendo DS Layout (Version 2) - The Nintendo DS background has removed, and the screens made larger on the TV.

Touch Screen on TV - The Touch Screen is on the TV, while the Top Screen is on the Wii U GamePad.
  1. Open folder: NDS Files
    19.png
  2. Copy the strings folder.
  3. Open folder: PhacoxsInjector > nds > *NDS Game Name > content > 0010 > data
    20.png
  4. Paste the strings folder in this location, replacing all the files in the process. The new Screen Setting names have been updated.
  5. Open folder: PhacoxsInjector > nds > *NDS Game Name > content
    21.png
  6. Delete: configuration_cafe.json
  7. Metroid Prime Hunters also has a .precomp file. Since the other injects won't use this, this file can also be deleted.
    22.png
  8. Back in the NDS Files folder, copy the required .json file. The one with sideways in the title is best used for games that require to hold the Nintendo DS in a vertical position (like Planet Puzzle League) by default. Otherwise use the one with original in the title.
    23.png
  9. Back in the 0010 folder, paste the .json file into this location.
  10. Rename the file to: configuration_cafe.json
    24.png
  11. Open configuration_cafe.json with Notepad++.
  12. Go to line: 600
    25.png
  13. At line 604 is the Brightness setting. Feel free to change this if necessary. The original releases have this set to 80, but I personally like to set this to 100.
  14. At line 607 is the Fold on Pause setting. If you set this to true, when you press the Home Button or ZL/ZR Button, the emulator will emulate Folding / Opening the Nintendo DS. Set this to true for games like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Hotel Dusk will need to use this feature to solve some puzzles. Otherwise, set this to false.
  15. Save the changes: File > Save

1. Open folder: PhacoxsInjector > nds > *NDS Game Name > content > 0010 > data > scripts
    26.png
  2. Open params.lua in Notepad++.
    27.png
  3. At line 7, replace the 4 letter Title ID with the following: AAAA
    28.png
  4. Save the changes: File > Save
When you open the Original Manual, it will load a 404 HTTP Not Found webpage.

To explain what is going on, Nintendo have decided to not include the Original Manual for the game you download. Instead, you have to be Online to view the Original Manual (in .pdf format) on the Web Browser. The one that you view depends the following settings:

• The language your Wii U is set to.
  • The platformId that is set in the params.lua file.
  • The titleID that is set in the params.lua file.
  • The regionId that is set in the params.lua file.
The game is using the following url that is stored in the vcmenus.lua file to obtain the required Original Manual:
Code:
https://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/" .. platformId .. "/" .. regionId .. "/" .. titleId .."/" .. titleId .. "_" .. language_suffix .. ".pdf

What's neat about this is you can view these Original Manuals on your own Web Browser if you know the game's Title ID. Below are a few examples:
- Mario Kart DS - NTR-AMCE-USA [English]: http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NTR/USA/AMCE/AMCE_E.pdf
- Advance Wars: Dual Strike - NTR-AWRP-EUR [French]: http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NTR/EUR/AWRP/AWRP_F.pdf
- Sawaru Made in Wario - NTR-AZWJ-JPN [Japanese]: http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NTR/JPN/AZWJ/AZWJ_J.pdf
- Monster Tale - NTR-BIHE-USA [English]: http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NTR/USA/BIHE/BIHE_E.pdf

1. Open folder: PhacoxsInjector > nds > *NDS Game Name > meta
    29.png
  2. Open meta.xml file in Notepad++.
  3. Go to line: 96
    31.png
  4. Enter Nintendo for each Publisher (there are 12 in total for the required languages).
    32.png
  5. Go to line: 35
    33.png
  6. These are the Age Rating settings for the game. I think these are used to prevent the game from being played if the Parental Controls are activated. I just copy the required settings from a game that has a Suitable for Everyone rating (the settings below are used from the European version of WarioWare: Touched!).
    34.png
  7. Save the changes: File > Save

• In the meta folder is a file called Manual.bfma. This is the Electronic Manual that can be opened on the Home Menu Screen by pressing the Home button. The interesting thing about this manual is it is the same for each Wii U Virtual Console Nintendo DS release. The manual doesn’t even mention the game you have downloaded, and even uses screenshots from the New Super Bros. DS game. It basically tells you the functions of the emulator, so you might as well leave this is.
  • It is important that you use the correct Manual.bfma file for your Wii U's region. Using one that is required for a different region will just give an error message when you tey and open it.
    29.png

1. Place the Nintendo DS ROM (.nds) into the following folder: desmume-0.9.11-win32 > Roms
    35.png
  2. Open folder: desmume-0.9.11-win32
    36.png
  3. Open: DeSmuME_0.9.11_x86.exe
    37.png
  4. Open: Config > Control Config
  5. Map the required buttons to a Controller / Keyboard. When you have finished, click OK.
    38.png
  6. Click: Config > Firmware Settings
  7. Adjust the required firmware settings. The language option is important as some games will load the required language based on this setting. When you have finished, click OK.
    39.png
  8. Click: File > Open ROM…
  9. Open the required Nintendo DS ROM (.nds) that you placed in the following folder: desmume-0.9.11-win32 > Roms
    40.png
  10. Reach the required part of the game where the title screen is. Don’t forget you can click the Pause Emulation button to pause the game.
    41.png
  11. To take a screenshot, click: File > Quick Screenshot
  12. The screenshot can be fold in this folder:
    42.png
  13. Close DeSmuME
  14. Open the screenshot (.png) in paint.net
    43.png
  15. Click: Image > Canvas Size
  16. Change Height to: 192
  17. Change Anchor dropdown to Top Left if the title is on the Top Screen. If the title is on the Touch Screen, then select Bottom Left.
    44a.png
  18. Click OK.
  19. Click OK to save changes.
    45.png
  20. If the title screen needs to be displayed vertically, click Image > Rotate 90° Counter-Clockwise and save the changes.
    47.png
  21. Close Paint.net
  22. The title screen has been updated.
    46.png

1. Go to the following folder: NUS Packer > input > content > 0010
    image022.png
  2. If you download the “Metroid Prime Hunters” game, you will notice a file called:
    MP_HUNTERSAMHP01_0123456789012345678901234567890123456789_0.precomp
    This file is not needed and can be deleted.
    image023.png
  3. Right click on the “rom.zip” file and click on: 7-Zip > Extract Here
    A file ending with “.nds” or “.srl” should appear in the folder.
    image024.png

You can confirm this is a Nintendo DS rom by opening it using the “DeSmuME” emulator.
    image025.png
  4. Copy the Nintendo ROM (.nds) you want to inject into the following folder: NUS Packer > input > content > 0010
  5. Make a note of the file name from the “.nds” or “.srl” file that you extracted from the “rom.zip” file.
  6. Deleted the “.nds” or “.srl” file that you extracted from the “rom.zip” file.
  7. Rename the Nintendo ROM (.nds) with the same file name as the file you deleted (including the file extension).
    image026.png
  8. Go the following folder: DS Scene ROM Tool (V1.0)
  9. Open the “DS-Scene Rom Tool.exe” file.
  10. Click on: File > Open File…
  11. Open the required Nintendo DS ROM (.nds) that you placed in the following folder: desmume-0.9.11-win32 > Roms
  12. Locate the "Game serial" and make a note of 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th letters. So in this example, it would be: BIHE
    It may also be worth making a note of the game's title and publisher.
    image027.png
  13. Close the "DS-Scene Rom Tool" file.
  14. Rename the last 4 letters with the new ones. So in this example, it would be: WUP-N-BIHE.srl
    image028.png
  15. Left click and hold the mouse button on the “.srl” or “.nds” file. Then drag and drop (let go of the left mouse button) the file into the “rom.zip” file.
    Let the computer copy and compress the file into the "rom.zip" file.
    image029.png
  16. Delete the “.srl” or “.nds” file that is in the “0010” folder.
    image030.png
  17. Double click on the “rom.zip” file.
  18. Right click on the file that isn't going to be used and click the "Delete" option. In this example, the file to delete will be: WUP-N-DAPP.srl
    This should leave one file in the "rom.zip" file.
    image031.png

1. Go to the following folder: NUS Packer
  2. Right click on “NUSPacker.bat” file and click “Edit”.
  3. Replace the Insert-WiiU-Key with the Wii U Common Key. Just open the the “Wii U Common Key (.bin)” in a Hex Editor and copy and paste the hex bytes (make sure there are no spaces).
    image084.png
  4. Click: File > Save
  5. Close the "NUSPacker.bat" file.
  6. Double Click on the “NUSPacker.bat” file.
    image086.png
  7. A "Command Prompt" will appear to pack the data. Once the data has finished being packed, press any key.
    image088.png
  8. All the packed files are stored in the following folder: NUS Packer > output
    image089.png
  9. Make a new folder and name it something suitable. I would suggest putting the “Title ID” in.
  10. Cut and paste all the files from the “output” folder to the new folder you created.
    image091.png

1. Now you are ready to install the game onto you Wii U. I myself use “WUP Installer Mod Y”. Simply copy the folder to the “install” folder.
  2. Install onto the Wii U.

The game Icon.
WP_20170813_003.jpg

The Bootscreen on the Wii U Gamepad.
WP_20170813_004.jpg

The game being displayed on the TV (the Top Screen).
WP_20170813_005.jpg

The game being displayed on the Wii U Gamepad (the Touch Screen).
WP_20170813_006.jpg

The Screen Settings menu.
WP_20170813_007.jpg

Trying to load an Original Manual.
WP_20170813_009.jpg

The game in the Data Management.
WP_20170813_012.jpg

Question:
Do I need to use Rednand on the Mocha Custom Firmware?
Answer:
These injects will work perfectly fine with Mocha Custom Firmware without Rednand.

Question:
My game shows up as a corrupt title.
Answer:
It appears that you have not signed the Icon or Bootscreens. Make sure you add the extra data to then end of the files and use TGAVerify as stated in the guide.

Question:
When I launch the game, it comes up with an "Update is required" message and won't let me play the game.
Answer:
This is an issue with the title ID that you have used. Just use a different one, making sure it does not conflict with any of your other games.

Question:
My game shows up correctly on the Wii U menu, but it crashes when I launch the game.
Answer:
This may be issues with the title ID you used. Try a different one, making sure it does not conflict with any of your other games.

Question:
My game launches fine but the game itself doesn't work at all / has issues.
Answer:
Your game may not be compatible with the Virtual Console Emulator. Check this compatibility list to see if your will work correctly.

Question:
The custom inject seems to split the "Software" and "Save" files in the Game Data Management (Wii U Settings), instead of merging them together. Have I done something wrong?
Answer:
No, you have not done anything wrong. I'm not sure why this happens, but when you change the Title ID, the Wii U won't keep them merged for any custom injects. This seems to occur with the Homebrew Channel that is installed as well. You just have to remember that for custom injects, the "Software" and "Save" files are stored separately.

Question:
Can I take a screenshot of the game and upload it to Miiverse?
Answer:
As long as you changed the "Title ID", Miiverse will detect the game is not supported on Miiverse and won't let you upload a screenshot of the game.

Last edited by RadioShadow,

jbuck1975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need rednand? Sorry if you already answered that. I just scanned the OP
First couple of paragraphs

Special thanks to Cartman for creating a Wii U Inject Guide and the NDS Template.
Most of these are only designed to only work on a Windows Operating System.
Your Wii U must be setup to run the custom firmware. I recommend following this guide:

Reactions: CatmanFan

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Beautiful, I just have one question and you may know the answer. Is there a way to get rid of the washed out and dark look of let's say N64 games? While doing an injection? I am sorry, I just didn't know where to ask and you seem savy enough.

Still, thank you so much for this tutorial, I will be sure using it too! :)

Last edited by nashismo,

RadioShadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Beautiful, I just have one question and you may know the answer. Is there a way to get rid of the washed out and dark look of let's say N64 games? While doing an injection? I am sorry, I just didn't know where to ask and you seem savy enough.

Still, thank you so much for this tutorial, I will be sure using it too! :)

I briefly had a look at N64 injects and couldn't find a brightness option. :(

I've updated the guide to a fix a few silly mistakes. I would update the Wiki Compatibility Page, but I have no idea how you make an account? :(
May need to contact a mod.

Reactions: nashismo

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I briefly had a look at N64 injects and couldn't find a brightness option. :(

I've updated the guide to a fix a few silly mistakes. I would update the Wiki Compatibility Page, but I have no idea how you make an account? :(
May need to contact a mod.

Thanks for taking the time in answering. It is sad, but well, our old TV's weren't as clear so I guess we can live with N64 games a bit darker. Cheers and have a good week man.

RadioShadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@CatmanFan
My apologies for spelling your name wrong. South Park must have been on my mind. The name has been fixed. If it makes you feel better, I've been called RadioShow before. :P

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's Work with Pokemon Black/White 2 ?, and... My DS is broken so i want to use my save files of Pokemon Diamond and White on Wii U, it's possible ?

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a silly question, is there any way I can hack the Nintendo DS Virtual Console on Wii U to enable Wi-Fi and Wireless functions? I was playing Pokémon SoulSilver on it and I got this idea in my head, I I remember that there was the Nintendo Channel that sent Demos to the DS via Download Play on Wii, as well as games that connected locally between Wii and DS (Final Fantasy and Pokemon Battle Revolution for example) so '' technically '' the console is capable of such functions, right?

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm Brazilian.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a silly question, is there any way I can hack the Nintendo DS Virtual Console on Wii U to enable Wi-Fi and Wireless functions? I was playing Pokémon SoulSilver on it and I got this idea in my head, I I remember that there was the Nintendo Channel that sent Demos to the DS via Download Play on Wii, as well as games that connected locally between Wii and DS (Final Fantasy and Pokemon Battle Revolution for example) so '' technically '' the console is capable of such functions, right?

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm Brazilian.
Umm, no. The games ported to VC have all real wireless functions completely removed, though the options still show up. Strange, yes. No way to do it though.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Umm, no. The games ported to VC have all real wireless functions completely removed, though the options still show up. Strange, yes. No way to do it though.
It's no way to bring back that's functions ?

I remember that both Wii and Wii U vWii have support for Multiplayer Local and Local Functions via Wireless with other Nintendo DS / 3DS ( Mii Channel to send Mii for Tomadachi Collection, Final Fantasy Echoes of Time for Local Multiplayer, Pokémon Battle Revolution for Local Wireless Interactions, Nintendo Channel to send Demos via Download Play etc... ), I was thinking, if the console is able to do such a function, maybe there's some way to include it in Virtual Console, right?

I noticed that the DS Virtual Console also ''catch'' some Wii U information like a vWii, for example the clock ( Local Time ) and console nickname, maybe there's a way to "force" him to get the internet connection information too?

They even managed to do something like the Nintendo Channel back, maybe suddenly serve the interest of someone to work on some means of Virtual Console DS on Wii U have such functions
https://gbatemp.net/threads/v-wii-vc-ds-rom-sender.474213/

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's no way to bring back that's functions ?

I remember that both Wii and Wii U vWii have support for Multiplayer Local and Local Functions via Wireless with other Nintendo DS / 3DS ( Mii Channel to send Mii for Tomadachi Collection, Final Fantasy Echoes of Time for Local Multiplayer, Pokémon Battle Revolution for Local Wireless Interactions, Nintendo Channel to send Demos via Download Play etc... ), I was thinking, if the console is able to do such a function, maybe there's some way to include it in Virtual Console, right?

I noticed that the DS Virtual Console also ''catch'' some Wii U information like a vWii, for example the clock ( Local Time ) and console nickname, maybe there's a way to "force" him to get the internet connection information too?

They even managed to do something like the Nintendo Channel back, maybe suddenly serve the interest of someone to work on some means of Virtual Console DS on Wii U have such functions
https://gbatemp.net/threads/v-wii-vc-ds-rom-sender.474213/
Sorry for the late reply. vWii is way different than VC. vWii is literally a Wii console in the Wii U. You have to boot into it, basically a Wii baked into the console. It's not emulated, though the name suggests otherwise :D. VC, however, is just an emulator on the Wii U, it runs the game in a sandbox and has no real access to the functions of the actual console (WiFi). Yeah, so unless you physically add a DS to your Wii U and figure out a way to boot into it, I'm sorry, though I would like local/online play in VC too.

Last edited by aykay55,
Reactions: Moon164

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry for the late reply. vWii is way different than VC. vWii is literally a Wii console in the Wii U. You have to boot into it, basically a Wii baked into the console. It's not emulated, though the name suggests otherwise :D. VC, however, is just an emulator on the Wii U, it runs the game in a sandbox and has no real access to the functions of the actual console (WiFi). Yeah, so unless you physically add a DS to your Wii U and figure out a way to boot into it, I'm sorry, though I would like local/online play in VC too.

Thanks for explain to me, I hope someday someone can put those functions in the VC D: , I really do not think this is impossible.

It would be so wonderful to be able to connect the Wii U directly to the Nintendo DS and transfer Pokémon, or even play Mario Kart DS with the Wiimmfi servers in the Nintendo DS Virtual Console on Wii U

RadioShadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It is possible to force a language on games that check by using a cheat code. Since the BIOS gets dump in the same RAM position for every game, we can patch the game to use the language we want.

Thankfully there is a tool that can easily patch this code. Look out for an update on the guide so.

It's Work with Pokemon Black/White 2 ?, and... My DS is broken so i want to use my save files of Pokemon Diamond and White on Wii U, it's possible ?

If I understood this correct, you are asking if you can install your own save? It is possible using Savinne. It does require a computer to extract and install the the save.

I may add it to the guide, but all you have to do is delete the save-state file and replace the .sav file (it's RAW Format, convert on this website: http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php).

A detailed answer has been responded to this, but short answer is no. The original VC releases don't support wireless functions because the Wii U uses different wireless functions to the DS. Without hardware modifications, this won't work.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It is possible to force a language on games that check by using a cheat code. Since the BIOS gets dump in the same RAM position for every game, we can patch the game to use the language we want.

Thankfully there is a tool that can easily patch this code. Look out for an update on the guide so.

If I understood this correct, you are asking if you can install your own save? It is possible using Savinne. It does require a computer to extract and install the the save.

I may add it to the guide, but all you have to do is delete the save-state file and replace the .sav file (it's RAW Format, convert on this website: http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php).

A detailed answer has been responded to this, but short answer is no. The original VC releases don't support wireless functions because the Wii U uses different wireless functions to the DS. Without hardware modifications, this won't work.

Thanks for replying, sorry for my english I was using Google Translator, I had already put Pokémon on Wii U have a little time xD (SoulSilver with translate patch for Portuguese-Brazilian) it's fine work, some glitches but playable, I managed to import and export saves with SaveMii without problem
About Black / White I did not even want to test because I saw people talking that it did not work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup