Hacking Wii U Max SD Card Read Speed & Best SD Cards

wiinus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi all,

I've read the official technical specs, and I searched the forums quite a bit, but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the topic of the Wii U's SD card reader and the best cards for it. I know the official specs say SDHC up to 32GB, but I've read about people using 128 GB... which leaves me with questions.

1) How fast does the Wii U's SD card reader go?
2) What is the max speed SD card that can work with it and still be worthwhile? (read: I don't want to spend tons of money on a UHS-3 card when a class 6 or 8 will work just as quickly.)
3) What's the max storage space for SD cards that work with the Wii U?
4) Has there been any news of USB or external HDD support for homebrew, loadiine, etc.? I wouldn't even bother with an SD card then.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Probably class 10 is maximum speed.
From that, you can maybe get additional read speeds by formatting the card at 64Kb allocation size*

*I am only assuming but I think this depends on manufacturer/manufacture of the card itself.

I think people confirmed 256 gig cards working. More on loadiine main thread.

Currently USB support is not done and not probably possible before people figure out USB access in Wii U software which is hard. Basically just the SD access was a very high achievement giving this loadiine software family we have. It could be possible but FAT32 is entirely different thing, given Wii U uses it's USB drives in specialized format.

wiinus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Probably class 10 is maximum speed.
From that, you can maybe get additional read speeds by formatting the card at 64Kb allocation size*

*I am only assuming but I think this depends on manufacturer/manufacture of the card itself.

I think people confirmed 256 gig cards working. More on loadiine main thread.

Currently USB support is not done and not probably possible before people figure out USB access in Wii U software which is hard. Basically just the SD access was a very high achievement giving this loadiine software family we have. It could be possible but FAT32 is entirely different thing, given Wii U uses it's USB drives in specialized format.
Thanks very much. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a deal now that all this crazy black Friday stuff is going on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Going.