Hacking Wii U in one room, Wii in another room. Share Wii, Gamecube games + SAVES across both systems???

wunkley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello lovely people. Just signed up to the forum to ask a very specific question as it seems to be the best around for this type of thing. Right, go easy on me, very new to all this console modding....

I've managed to hack my original wii and got it set up just as I want for now. Currently just got one usb hard drive plugged in with some of my Wii and gamecube collection now on there, USB loader GX, Nintendont etc all working lovely, stuff forwarded to the home screen that I want.

I've also managed to pick up a used Wii U with Mario Kart 8 and I really want some Zelda HD remaster goodness. Short question then is as the title - Can I have the Wii U in one room, the Wii in another room and 'share' the Wii and Gamecube games + SAVES across both systems???

Longer ramble and why - I'm setting up a retro gaming room with a few systems. In this room among other consoles will be the original (now modded) Wii hooked up via component to an OSSC and to a fairly decent, 1080p TV. This Wii will be used to play Wii and Gamecube games on

In the other room (lounge) will be the Wii U, along with PS4pro connected up to a lovely LG 4k oled. The Wii U (once I learn how to hack/ mod this one too) will be used for Wii U games, obviously, AND I want to be able to play Wii and Gamecube games on this too, should the mood take me.

Obviously I don't want 2 sets of games running with different save files etc. So, taking into account all this gubbins, will it be possible to have Wii and Gamecube games (I don't have a huge amount so vast storage isn't super important) installed on a big SD card and 'hot swap' this card between the Wii and the Wii U and have save game data intact? Or is there some other way to do it? Or is it just not possible? Hope this makes sense.....

Last edited by wunkley,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello lovely people. Just signed up to the forum to ask a very specific question as it seems to be the best around for this type of thing. Right, go easy on me, very new to all this console modding....

I've managed to hack my original wii and got it set up just as I want for now. Currently just got one usb hard drive plugged in with some of my Wii and gamecube collection now on there, USB loader GX, Nintendont etc all working lovely, stuff forwarded to the home screen that I want.

I've also managed to pick up a used Wii U with Mario Kart 8 and I really want some Zelda HD remaster goodness. Short question then is as the title - Can I have the Wii U in one room, the Wii in another room and 'share' the Wii and Gamecube games + SAVES across both systems???

Longer ramble and why - I'm setting up a retro gaming room with a few systems. In this room among other consoles will be the original (now modded) Wii hooked up via component to an OSSC and to a fairly decent, 1080p TV. This Wii will be used to play Wii and Gamecube games on

In the other room (lounge) will be the Wii U, along with PS4pro connected up to a lovely LG 4k oled. The Wii U (once I learn how to hack/ mod this one too) will be used for Wii U games, obviously, AND I want to be able to play Wii and Gamecube games on this too, should the mood take me.

Obviously I don't want 2 sets of games running with different save files etc. So, taking into account all this gubbins, will it be possible to have Wii and Gamecube games (I don't have a huge amount so vast storage isn't super important) installed on a big SD card and 'hot swap' this card between the Wii and the Wii U and have save game data intact? Or is there some other way to do it? Or is it just not possible? Hope this makes sense.....
Wii game saves store in Wii nand

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would have to copy over the save to update the save every time if you play on one. There's no way they will automatically transfer over to the other system, if that's what you mean.

wunkley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies folks.

I’m new to all this so bear with me. Reading around I thought you could install wii and GameCube games to an SD card, and using usb loader GX you could instruct where to store save games. Is that not the case? Is it GameCube only that you can do this? Do Wii saves have to be on the wii nand only?

I’m aware it might not be easy and might involve having to copy stuff around. But, I thought there might be a relatively easy way to do it, IF, you could install wii games and GameCube games on a big SD card, and force all save data to be on the same SD card, that you could then swap between a wii and a wii u.
Is this a pipe dream?

Last edited by wunkley,

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies folks.

I’m new to all this so bear with me. Reading around I thought you could install wii and GameCube games to an SD card, and using usb loader GX you could instruct where to store save games. Is that not the case? Is it GameCube only that you can do this? Do Wii saves have to be on the wii nand only?
Use nintendont for GameCube with memory card emulation and you should be able to just swap sd cards and have your saves follow you. USB loader gx tho I think will save to the band as others have said - and I don't know if you can get around that.

wunkley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Use nintendont for GameCube with memory card emulation and you should be able to just swap sd cards and have your saves follow you. USB loader gx tho I think will save to the band as others have said - and I don't know if you can get around that.

Hmm, so it might work for GameCube only. That would be something though, most of my old games I’m wanting to replay are GameCube at the moment anyway.
I can’t get in and try it all yet as I haven’t even stared modding my newly acquired wii u yet. Need a few spare days to read up on it all and get cracking. It looks more complicated than hacking the wii was.

wunkley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Just so I'm clear:

For Gamecube games

1. I could use one big capacity SD card, across both the WiiU and the Wii?
2. This one SD card will have all the necessary folders it has on it now already for my fully hacked Wii?
3. This one SD card will have (once I set it all up) all the necessary folders for hacking/ running the WiiU?
4. I put all my Gamecube game iso's on this one SD card in just one 'games' folder?
5. If I make sure Nintendont is set up right with memory card emulation, I'll be able to simply 'hot swap' this SD card between the Wii and the Wii U consoles, and use usb loader GX with Nintendont on both consoles, and all save game data will work across both consoles?

So, if the above is possible, the only real hassle, for playing gamecube games across the 2 machins as desired, would be having to remove the SD card from one and pop in the other? I could live with that! But can it be done, anyone actually done it?

For Wii games

????

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so I'm clear:

For Gamecube games

1. I could use one big capacity SD card, across both the WiiU and the Wii?
2. This one SD card will have all the necessary folders it has on it now already for my fully hacked Wii?
3. This one SD card will have (once I set it all up) all the necessary folders for hacking/ running the WiiU?
4. I put all my Gamecube game iso's on this one SD card in just one 'games' folder?
5. If I make sure Nintendont is set up right with memory card emulation, I'll be able to simply 'hot swap' this SD card between the Wii and the Wii U consoles, and use usb loader GX with Nintendont on both consoles, and all save game data will work across both consoles?

So, if the above is possible, the only real hassle, for playing gamecube games across the 2 machins as desired, would be having to remove the SD card from one and pop in the other? I could live with that! But can it be done, anyone actually done it?

For Wii games

????
The answer to all of your gc questions is "yes"

As for Wii, I think you would have to transfer save to SD card each time - which isn't a big hassle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1