Hacking Wii U Homebrew Wish List - Homebrew Idea Thread

Xuman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all! I was imagining all the things we could do with Wii U Brew once it was publically possible, and basically I wanted to make a thread to come up with some creative ideas of what homebrew you would like to use/play/have ported from Wii Homebrew.

I'd love to see a media player sorta like WiiMC but used the gamepads touchscreen to select things, and control it similarly to things like netflix and youtube (TV is view screen, Gamepade is menu, option to switch between them)

IDEAS SO FAR

Goals

-Beat Nintendo at adding N64/Gamecube/DS Emulators to the Wii U

Games

-Art Studio
-Virtual Reality Game using Gamepad
-Doom/Quake/Wolfenstien/Nuke Dukem
-Chess
-Tic Tac Toe
-Asteroids
-Maze-Ball Game
-Minecraft-like game/3D Proof of Concept Game
-3D Homebrew [Like 3D Models]
-Solitaire
-Pinball
-Minesweeper
-Tablet Apps
-Pictionary
-Monopoly

Applications

-App That Prints Money Out Of Disc Drive
-Web Server App/File Manager
-Overclocking Capabilities
-Any Wii/vWii Homebrew Ported Over with Gamepad Support
-Apps That Run In Background Similarly Like Miiverse and Everything
-SaveGame Manager U
-GBATemp App
-DownloadMiiU (Homebrew Marketplace Just Like Homebrew Browser and DownloadMii)
-RAM Searcher (Eliminates need for Dumping entire thing)
-Cheat Code Manager (Loads codes from the manager in the background on the fly)
-Being able to patch graphics code to port f.lux
-Nintendon't (Should it be in U mode or vWii Only?)
-Cafiine Patcher
-Animation App/Flipnote Studio esque program. Ability to use 3D Models
-FTP Server
-Plenty of Proof of Concepts (PoC)
-Disc Ripping Tool
-Theme Changer
-Linux Type Enigma2 App
-Media Player Similar to WiiMC with Blu-Ray DisC Support
-TCPGecko
-Region Unlocker/Loader with Region Unlocker
-Firmware Spoofer
-App Installer similar to wad manager for Wii
-VC Game Injector
-Riivolution (Isn't it Cafiine now?)
-USB Loader
-vWii Controlled with Gamepad/Wii Games Played with Gamepad
-Blackhat Apps
-Screen Capture w/Sound
-Non OS Dependant PC to Gamepad Streaming

Emulators

-GBA-Link Support
-All Nintendo Handhelds and consoles sans Nintendo 3DS
-Playstation 1
-Playstation 2
-3DO
-Atari Jaguar
-Most Sega Systems
-MAME
-Nintendont U
-Dosbox
-ScummVM
-x86
-Amiga
-PSP

OSes

-Virtual Machines
-Linux (Arm and or PPC)
-Custom Firmware
-Android/Linux based OS
-Trinux U
-Plugin System
-Multiple OS Options
-Windows OS'

These are just some Ideas so far, if you are a dev/know a dev/just plain have ideas, post here!

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-I couldn't find any thread like this, but if there is one please delete-

Hey all! I was imagining all the things we could do with Wii U Brew once it was publically possible, and basically I wanted to make a thread to come up with some creative ideas of what homebrew you would like to use/play/have ported from Wii Homebrew.

I'd love to see a media player sorta like WiiMC but used the gamepads touchscreen to select things, and control it similarly to things like netflix and youtube (TV is view screen, Gamepade is menu, option to switch between them)

I'd love to see Tic-Tac-Toe, Asteroids, and Chess homebrew games on the Wii U! :)
EDIT: I'll be happy to make them as soon as the new browser exploit is released!

Xuman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another idea would be some kind of game that uses the Gamepads motion sensing to make one of those maze-ball games or something. The real things are so annoying to play with.

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'd like to go past the basic/generic stuff, although the maze game would be more complicated. It would be nice to see a minecraft port(just as a proof of concept mostly), and it'd be cool to see emulators for Non-Nintendo consoles, as hard as that would be.

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to go past the basic/generic stuff, although the maze game would be more complicated. It would be nice to see a minecraft port(just as a proof of concept mostly), and it'd be cool to see emulators for Non-Nintendo consoles, as hard as that would be.

I'd love to see 3D programs too, but I think we'll have to wait for the GX2 backend to be written.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Nice, maybe port it over if you're in the mood? I've been schooling my baby bro in chess and he'd enjoy having this to practice

I could try with the old exploit, but I have no way of testing it. Even if I succeeded, it would be torture to watch other people play one of my favorite games when I couldn't. :P
I think it would be a more efficient use of my time if I waited for the new exploit. If someone who has the new exploit PMs it to me, then I would make a bunch of new games to release along with it.

Xuman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could try with the old exploit, but I have no way of testing it. Even if I succeeded, it would be torture to watch other people play one of my favorite games when I couldn't. :P
I think it would be a more efficient use of my time if I waited for the new exploit. If someone who has the new exploit PMs it to me, then I would make a bunch of new games to release along with it.

Good point, then we should wait til the new exploit is released [Or you to get pm'd :P] and see all we can do

An application for support of Bluetooth controllers on native wiiu games (doubt it will ever happen tho)

Emulators (hopefully up to the dreamcast)

If we did get the dreamcast, hoo boy

Reactions: Margen67

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An application for support of Bluetooth controllers on native wiiu games (doubt it will ever happen tho)

Emulators (hopefully up to the dreamcast)

That sounds cool, but again I restate that because the GX2 backend hasn't been written yet, we're very limited in terms of what graphics we can do. Currently, all graphics are drawn by directly writing to the framebuffer. That WORKS, but because it goes through the normal processor (s) it is as slow as an ameoba compared to the 550MHz AMD Radeon GPU. That's why I suggested my chess program. I wrote that BEFORE the GX backend was available for the Wii, so it uses direct framebuffer graphics too.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's mostly developing a new Webkit exploit and creating a homebrew SDK, and we're working on both. We already have all the functions we need (with graphics, saves, and motion controls galore), but people need to make example programs to kickstart the process. Another good thing would be booting ELFs through a homebrew launcher.
Stuff like adding support for more controls is one of the few instances where we even need to bother with a kernel exploit, because you need to patch some stuff to get it working.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's mostly developing a new Webkit exploit and creating a homebrew SDK, and we're working on both. We already have all the functions we need (with graphics, saves, and motion controls galore), but people need to make example programs to kickstart the process. Another good thing would be booting ELFs through a homebrew launcher.
Stuff like adding support for more controls is one of the few instances where we even need to bother with a kernel exploit, because you need to patch some stuff to get it working.

Which controls need a patch before they work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really...