Wii U has tendency to freeze for seemingly no reason

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by OkamiTakahashi, Feb 7, 2019.

1. OkamiTakahashi
    OP

OkamiTakahashi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    Hi all; what it says on the tin. I recently softmodded my Wii U with homebrew, and previously, my vWii and Wii. I don't use the Wii much anymore so I can't confirm this issue on there, but every since putting Homebrew on my Wii U, it has a tendency to freeze. For example, while I'm playing through Breath of the Wild (mods or no mods), or a game on the vWii. It's becoming more frequent and I can't find a damn answer anywhere as to why it's happening and how to fix it. That's about all I can tell ya. Previously this would only happen sometimes when using Brawl mods, but now it seems to have spread through the whole damn console.

2. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    What CFW are you running when it freezes, if any.

3. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    If it freezes during normal Wii U games, then I would encourage you to clean up or blow with compressed air in the Wii U's ventilation.
    Sometimes the Wii U crashes when it overheats, and if the ventilation gets cramped up with dust and other stuff, it will overheat for sure.

Clean the ventilation up with compressed air, from both the back of the console and the side, and then try again. It should work (if that's the cause of the issue of course)

Lacius likes this.
  4. OkamiTakahashi
    OP

OkamiTakahashi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    That's the thing though, I don't know the cause.

Could it be because my Wii is on top of my Wii U? I just heard recently that that's a bad idea.

I'm fairly new to all this; I've got Haxchi on my Wii U- the non-cold boot variety, for the record.

I'm going to double check some normal Wii U gameplay on the console again, just to be sure it isn't just Homebrew-related, since that was the only way I could get some old WiiWare games now and what I needed to get into BOTW modding.

Last edited by OkamiTakahashi, Feb 8, 2019
  5. OkamiTakahashi
    OP

OkamiTakahashi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    Update: Yeah, it still freezes. I moved the Wii off my Wii U, and the ventilation should be fine. I'm not sure what the problem is since this also happens with the vWii and I'm pretty sure I had this problem on my actual Wii as well. There's just no explanation.

6. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    SDCard or USBHDD could be a factor. Read Errors including too slow. Have you turned off HDD Power Saver?

In the System Settings go to Data Management. Once there don't click on any of the on screen buttons but instead hold on the GamePad's D-Pad and the "+" and "-" buttons for a couple of seconds. A hidden option will show up and you can disable or re-enable the HDD's Sleep Mode.

I doubt it could be your Nand.

Last edited by CORE, Feb 25, 2019
  7. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Someone was having issues with using Mocha CFW and it was freezing and once they stopped using that CFW it stopped freezing that's why I asked weeks ago and never got an answer.

8. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Double post

9. CORE

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yes that too could be another possibility. Maybe a conflict?

10. OkamiTakahashi
    OP

OkamiTakahashi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    Well if it's Mocha, then I dunno what to do. I followed all the instructions from the Haxchii guide- again, not using the cold boot. I'm just puzzled and frustrated, I need a definitive answer. Somone somewhere must have one.

Is that HDD option strictly for USB? I'm not using one; I'm using an SD card for playing BOTW mods.

Last edited by OkamiTakahashi, Feb 25, 2019
  11. CORE

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yeah USB Storage Devices.

12. OkamiTakahashi
    OP

OkamiTakahashi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    Well, that sucks. Maybe there just isn't an answer for this.

13. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Umm, why not try Haxchi instead and see if it still freezes? Mocha is not a requirement for the Wii U to run homebrew.

That may not be it but it's at least worth trying before you just give up.

Last edited Feb 25, 2019
  14. OkamiTakahashi
    OP

OkamiTakahashi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    What I do is that I I run Haxchi, then boot up the Homebrew Launcher, and boot sdcafiine to load my mods. There's no way I can use only haxchii alone, I need the Homebrew launcher to use the mods. I DON'T use other methods to load mods; SDcafiine has a version of Mocha built in; I cannot change that. But there must be SOME solution that doesn't resort to using other mod loading methods. I'm doing absolutely NOTHING wrong. It just does this on its own.

Last edited by OkamiTakahashi, Mar 1, 2019
  15. CORE

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Possible latest Homebrew Launcher I noticed Loadiine no longer works for me after updating.

Come to think off it I used TCPGecko Updater and it may have overwrote or added a couple of things to SD Card.

Ever since my GamePad has been breaking up quite a bit on Homebrew and Super Mario 3D World.

I did try running Geckiine before hand maybe it installed something?

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this?

Last edited by CORE, Mar 1, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted