Hacking Homebrew Wii U Hacking Questions From This Newbie (apologies in advance)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I assume that's the same for Save Game Manager as well.
if you mean the app that works with the wii, then yeah, but it might be easier just to use the official method of importing/exporting saves, which is creating data.bin files. save game manager is only useful really for copyright protected saves, and you need a save on the system to import a new one. I don't think the official method requires that. this only works with the wii/vwii.

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if you mean the app that works with the wii, then yeah, but it might be easier just to use the official method of importing/exporting saves, which is creating data.bin files. save game manager is only useful really for copyright protected saves, and you need a save on the system to import a new one. I don't think the official method requires that. this only works with the wii/vwii.
I haven't tried Wii games yet so I assume when I save in a Wii game one of those apps pops up?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, you have to go into the app to backup saves. you can use emunand for vwii and raw memory card images for cube games. that way they'll be saved on usb or sd card. however, not all games like emunand on the vwii. they'll usually black screen. iirc, skyward sword is one such game.

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
no, you have to go into the app to backup saves. you can use emunand for vwii and raw memory card images for cube games. that way they'll be saved on usb or sd card. however, not all games like emunand on the vwii. they'll usually black screen. iirc, skyward sword is one such game.
So for Wii games it will save as it normally would for Gamecube emulation but the saves need to be backed up in order to not lose progress?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your system dies, you need some way of restoring saves whether you use an mlc or usb with otp.bin or seeprom.bin and otp.bin (for usb) and dumpster U or something similar. you don't have to backup saves unless you want to. wii games and wii vc save to the same location. wii vc can't be changed afaik, but you can use emunand for the vwii. most games should support it. cube games can use memory card emulation, which is an option in nintendont. wiiu games can't be saved to sd card. they'll always be saved to the same partition that the game is on. wiiu would need an app to backup or ftp, but an app like savemii mod is much faster.

Reactions: slider86

msSeven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the part I find confusing. Nintendont for instance saves a game and it shows on my SD card so why would I need an app to back it up?
I really don't get why you're hung up on this save stuff. Managers exist because there are different ways of running things (i.e. running Nintendont on a regular Wii through real gamecube memory cards). In this case you would want a save manager to copy data out of the memory cards. But this isn't your use case so just ignore it.

slider86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really don't get why you're hung up on this save stuff. Managers exist because there are different ways of running things (i.e. running Nintendont on a regular Wii through real gamecube memory cards). In this case you would want a save manager to copy data out of the memory cards. But this isn't your use case so just ignore it.
Apologies there are a lot of recommended apps around and I'm trying to figure out what I should use and shouldn't be using.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4